Author Topic: Anthropology and Archaeology Thread  (Read 2331 times)

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
Anthropology and Archaeology Thread
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
I grew up with a decent sized creek behind my house a couple hundred yards that was surrounded by farm fields and pastures. We found several Native American artifacts over the years but never thought much of it.

I dug this out of a box I had in storage and sent a few pics of it to an Archaeology prof at WSU. He responded and told me it is a double grooved stone axe made by prehistoric Archaic Americans around 3000 to 5000 years ago. It was found in SE Wabaunsee county and really gives me a history boner to road trip back home and do more hunting for artifacts. Anyone else enjoy things like this?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Anthropology and Archaeology Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
My dad used to take me and my bros to Holiday Sand by KCK.  They dredge the river for sand and anything over a certain size got piled up along the river.  They would let anyone come in and look through the rocks.  We found a couple of those and another guy that was there at the time said something similar about them being tomahawk heads that the blades broke off of. 

I loved that stuff when I was a kid.  Geology still interests me a lot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
we found tons of arrowheads and some old calvary type metal sword holder deals on our ranch.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »
I found a wad of Korean paper money in some kind of old sewing can in the woods by my house when I was a kid.  Another kid was with me and we showed his dad and he kept it.  What a rough ridin' loser that guy was. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
My uncle has some pasture land in Western KS that has a "ghost town" on it.

This ghost town was officially "Phil Sheridan", named for the Civil War general who reportedly dined at the site (and lent his name to the county to our east). It sprang into existence July 25, 1868 when it became the end of the Kansas Pacific Railroad line, and lasted much longer than the average such boomtown owing to the KPRR running out of funds for building further west. Thus it was a place of action for over two years, until funds and a plan to continue on to Denver made it just a historical footnote.

Located near the two buttes by McAllaster on US40 in Wallace County, Sheridan was home to every sort of seedy character and misdeed imaginable during its hectic lifespan. Its two streets, either side of the tracks, were home to over 2000 living in tents, and 40 sod shanties in the early days. With the passage of months, more permanent buildings housed railroad offices, hotels, bars and brothels. The Santa Fe stage and Butterfield Overland Dispatch provided transport and communication to the west, until the railroad was finally extended.

The following comes from the work of James L. Ehernberger and Francis G. Gschwind, published as "Smoke Above The Plains" in 1965, and compiled as part of "Union Pacific Steam, Eastern District" in 1975.

Numerous legendary figures of the Great American West have left their indelible imprints in the annals of Kansas Division territory. At the long-vanished town of Sheridan, Kansas, near present-day Wallace, the dynamic William F. Cody won his immortal soubriquet of "Buffalo Bill" - probably the most glamorous name of the western saga. Sheridan was then the terminus of the K. P. and Cody had been employed by the road to provide buffalo meat for the construction gangs. However it remained for a buffalo shooting match with another skilled hunter, Billy Comstock, to provide Cody with his deathless epithet. Cody won impressively and the legend of Buffalo Bill was born.

There is nothing left besides some hole's in the ground where dugouts used to be. My dad and I went out there with a metal detector once but all we found was a ton of nails and other random metal trash.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
It's pretty amazing how many artifacts people that are really into it can find. I've seen some really large collections but have only found a few myself. It's also my understanding that the only ones legal to keep are surface finds on private land.Anything found on the Kansas river is supposed to be turned over to the state.There is an old Indian grave on my families land but it was long ago dug up  :curse:

Offline Stat_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
It's pretty amazing how many artifacts people that are really into it can find. I've seen some really large collections but have only found a few myself. It's also my understanding that the only ones legal to keep are surface finds on private land.Anything found on the Kansas river is supposed to be turned over to the state.There is an old Indian grave on my families land but it was long ago dug up  :curse:
I would stf away from a dug up Indian grave!  Is that equal to the curses on the pyramids??? 
I took my son out recently "exploring" and he found what he thought was a rock, but it was chipped out and in a ball type shape, I've tried to google it and can't find anything, it was a little larger than a golf ball, but you could tell it had been carved by hand, I figured it was a small hand scraper of some type, not sure what it was used for...

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
I always look for arrowheads and sharks teeth hunting but never find them.  I really like frontier history.

One time in Germany I found a really old hammer style shotgun in the woods.  The stock was nearly entirely rotted off. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »

I would stf away from a dug up Indian grave!  Is that equal to the curses on the pyramids??? 
I took my son out recently "exploring" and he found what he thought was a rock, but it was chipped out and in a ball type shape, I've tried to google it and can't find anything, it was a little larger than a golf ball, but you could tell it had been carved by hand, I figured it was a small hand scraper of some type, not sure what it was used for...

Take a pic of it and I can pm you an email,address of the guy who identified my piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
you know what i rough ridin' find all the time?  rough ridin' railroad spikes.  those rough ridin' things are everywhere.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Anthropology and Archaeology Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
you know what i rough ridin' find all the time?  rough ridin' railroad spikes.  those rough ridin' things are everywhere.

RR spikes are great... But this isn't a thread about crap you find all the rough ridin' time. I found a 7000 year old archaic Indian axe head. I didn't find an empty can of Busch Light on K-177

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
yeah, well those railroad spikes are probably over a 100 years old

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
love this kind of stuff. if you have some time to kill, check out this thread. lots of interesting things out there.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=87044

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »
love this kind of stuff. if you have some time to kill, check out this thread. lots of interesting things out there.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=87044

i grew up in with a few acres of woods as my backyard and would follow this little stream exploring.  in the middle of the woods about half mile+ from my house was this car graveyard with old 50's trucks and cars and a 10 foot tall pile of old oilcans and misc parts.  it's the weirdest thing because access is very limited.  there weren't any roads or paths leading in or out.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
i used to do a lot of exploring in some mildly thick woods near my old home growing up. found all kinds of remnants of people being back there. it's amazing how quickly nature takes over if undisturbed.

Offline Stat_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »

Take a pic of it and I can pm you an email,address of the guy who identified my piece.

Will do, if I can find it... My kid thought it was a cool rock and held onto it for me...

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
http://joeidoni.smugmug.com/Aircraft-Crash-Sites
not completely related to the thread title, but another great way to kill some time. tons of cool plane crash sites in the desert that are relatively untouched. sorry if i'm derailing your thread, T1BW

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
cDub's gf has a really nice collection of arrowheads, all found on her family property. WV is covered in Native American burial mounds (Moundsville) and has an abundance history in the ground. Will try to get pics if anyone actually wants to see the collection.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
A kid from my hometown found a few thousand dollars stuffed in a hollowed out tree on our grade school play ground.   Turns out it was a drugs drop off point.  Lots of cash for in the 70's.  Kid didn't get to keep the bank but did become an addict later in life not an archeologist.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »
Grew up west of Lawrence near Clinton and Stull.  Dad had a cousin who collected a large inventory of arrow heads, spear heads, rock tools, and pottery from their farm along Deer Creek.  Told me as a kid that KU profs had came to excavate an area, but came away with very little.  Following their departure a rain washed out their dig site and exposed quite a few thing he now has in his collection.  Cousin down sized so he could travel more and just gave me his entire collection.  Some really incredible stuff.

Grandmother lived to 98 was born in late 1800's.  Recounted story passed down to her when Custer was killed at LBH riders from Lawrence rode out to warn people because they feared the entire indian nation was rising up. 

Dad turned over a civil war era bayonette while discing one spring.  Still have that along with flint lock he had me dig our of his uncles attack that dates back pre-civil war era.

Family pasture in Wabaunsee laid along shore of pre-historic ocean.  Took a team of KU grad students out there to dig a couple of times.  Came back with a few nice fossils.

Not into any of this type stuff while growing up, but pretty cool now that I have more of an appreciation for it.

Tom

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
cDub's gf has a really nice collection of arrowheads, all found on her family property. WV is covered in Native American burial mounds (Moundsville) and has an abundance history in the ground. Will try to get pics if anyone actually wants to see the collection.

Please share.  Cool area I'm sure. Wish we had mounds out here. I think the rock is too close to the surface apparently

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
Grew up west of Lawrence near Clinton and Stull.  Dad had a cousin who collected a large inventory of arrow heads, spear heads, rock tools, and pottery from their farm along Deer Creek.  Told me as a kid that KU profs had came to excavate an area, but came away with very little.  Following their departure a rain washed out their dig site and exposed quite a few thing he now has in his collection.  Cousin down sized so he could travel more and just gave me his entire collection.  Some really incredible stuff.

Grandmother lived to 98 was born in late 1800's.  Recounted story passed down to her when Custer was killed at LBH riders from Lawrence rode out to warn people because they feared the entire indian nation was rising up. 

Dad turned over a civil war era bayonette while discing one spring.  Still have that along with flint lock he had me dig our of his uncles attack that dates back pre-civil war era.

Family pasture in Wabaunsee laid along shore of pre-historic ocean.  Took a team of KU grad students out there to dig a couple of times.  Came back with a few nice fossils.

Not into any of this type stuff while growing up, but pretty cool now that I have more of an appreciation for it.

Tom

What part of Wab county is your pasture in?

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
I've been in on discussions a few times with folks looking for the lost silver.  It's a great story:

The Point of Rocks Treasure
 FORD COUNTY – The Point of Rocks treasure is well documented in historic records.
 The original version was penned by buffalo hunter and frontier scout Robert M. Wright and published in 1913.
 To summarize his account, the following events occurred in 1853 along the Santa Fe Trail, roughly four miles west of present-day Dodge City at or near a landmark known as the Point of Rocks, once marking the border of Mexico and the United States.
 Wagonmaster Jesus M. Martinez was leading a train of freighters from Mexico to Independence, Missouri, which consisted of 82 men and 120 wagons.
 Martinez was a trusted plainsmen and veteran freighter of 30 years. Each night Martinez ordered the wagons corralled for protection and guards were posted with orders to sound the alarm on the approach of Indians, bandits or prairie fires.
 One night the freighters corralled their wagons and settled in for the evening. Little did they know they’d reached the trail’s end.
 While the men slept, the guards observed movement in the distance, but could not make out what it was. The dogs commenced making a fuss and Martinez was awaken by a guard.
 After observing the suspicious activity, Martinez sounded the alarm and told his men Indians were afoot and to prepare for battle.
 Trenches were dug and makeshift breastworks erected. With the Mexicans staring into darkness, and prepared to fight, the figures of hostile Indians seemed to increase as they lurked closer and quietly surrounded the Martinez train. Minutes passed in silence that seemed like days as the freighters waited for the wraiths to strike from the darkness.
 Then, shattering the stillness of night, the first war cries came; moments later phantoms could be seen as they passed through shadows from every direction to lay siege to the ensnared freighters.
 Eighty-two balls fired into the enemy line was the Mexican reply. The Mexicans, according to Wright, “Fought like demons!”
Heavy causalities on the Indian side caused them to retreat and left the Mexicans praying for deliverance. Soon after sun up they knew deliverance was not at hand. The Indian commanders ordered renewed assaults at intervals; it was a battle that raged on for five days.
 Day 5 – The Indians had suffered far more causalities then the Mexicans. But time was the Indians collaborator and both sides knew water and ammunition had become scare for the Mexicans and the end was nigh.
 They fought until chowder and lead were spent and, when the guns fell silent, the train was consumed by rage and butchery. Only one man managed to escape the bloodlust that night - Jesus M. Martinez.
 Jesus watched as “wild Cheyenne, Arapahoe and Kiowa” warriors pillaged the train, setting fire to several wagons, and capturing their stock, taking mostly flour, bacon and other provisions. Then, “Indian-like, immediately left the field of carnage,” wrote Wright. Martinez simply remained in his… “hiding place until morning and until the Indians were miles away,” Wright added.
“Surveying the ruins covered in gore, Martinez”… “was alone with the dead,” Wright penned.
 Being freighters, the train carried more than just trade goods; a considerable amount of Spanish silver specie was being transported as well. Wright states Martinez immediately secured the treasure, but did not find it all.
 A dying Martinez told his son he recovered 21 small bags, each containing 1,000 silver Mexican dollars. He then carried the treasure away from the massacre site some distance and buried it. He could not remember what direction or how far he walked.
 From there, Martinez claims he walked back to Mexico and in time returned home. He died soon after, but only after swearing his son to find the treasure.
 Years later, Martinez’s son did arrive in Dodge City to search for the treasure. He searched for weeks, but ultimately returned to Mexico empty handed. So far as is known, the treasure was never found.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
I've been in on discussions a few times with folks looking for the lost silver.  It's a great story:

FORD COUNTY – The Point of Rocks treasure is well documented in historic records.
 The original version was penned by buffalo hunter and frontier scout Robert M. Wright and published in 1913.
 To summarize his account, the following events occurred in 1853 along the Santa Fe Trail, roughly four miles west of present-day Dodge City at or near a landmark known as the Point of Rocks, once marking the border of Mexico and the United States.
 Wagonmaster Jesus M. Martinez was leading a train of freighters from Mexico to Independence, Missouri, which consisted of 82 men and 120 wagons.
 Martinez was a trusted plainsmen and veteran freighter of 30 years. Each night Martinez ordered the wagons corralled for protection and guards were posted with orders to sound the alarm on the approach of Indians, bandits or prairie fires.
 One night the freighters corralled their wagons and settled in for the evening. Little did they know they’d reached the trail’s end.
 While the men slept, the guards observed movement in the distance, but could not make out what it was. The dogs commenced making a fuss and Martinez was awaken by a guard.
 After observing the suspicious activity, Martinez sounded the alarm and told his men Indians were afoot and to prepare for battle.
 Trenches were dug and makeshift breastworks erected. With the Mexicans staring into darkness, and prepared to fight, the figures of hostile Indians seemed to increase as they lurked closer and quietly surrounded the Martinez train. Minutes passed in silence that seemed like days as the freighters waited for the wraiths to strike from the darkness.
 Then, shattering the stillness of night, the first war cries came; moments later phantoms could be seen as they passed through shadows from every direction to lay siege to the ensnared freighters.
 Eighty-two balls fired into the enemy line was the Mexican reply. The Mexicans, according to Wright, “Fought like demons!”
Heavy causalities on the Indian side caused them to retreat and left the Mexicans praying for deliverance. Soon after sun up they knew deliverance was not at hand. The Indian commanders ordered renewed assaults at intervals; it was a battle that raged on for five days.
 Day 5 – The Indians had suffered far more causalities then the Mexicans. But time was the Indians collaborator and both sides knew water and ammunition had become scare for the Mexicans and the end was nigh.
 They fought until chowder and lead were spent and, when the guns fell silent, the train was consumed by rage and butchery. Only one man managed to escape the bloodlust that night - Jesus M. Martinez.
 Jesus watched as “wild Cheyenne, Arapahoe and Kiowa” warriors pillaged the train, setting fire to several wagons, and capturing their stock, taking mostly flour, bacon and other provisions. Then, “Indian-like, immediately left the field of carnage,” wrote Wright. Martinez simply remained in his… “hiding place until morning and until the Indians were miles away,” Wright added.
“Surveying the ruins covered in gore, Martinez”… “was alone with the dead,” Wright penned.
 Being freighters, the train carried more than just trade goods; a considerable amount of Spanish silver specie was being transported as well. Wright states Martinez immediately secured the treasure, but did not find it all.
 A dying Martinez told his son he recovered 21 small bags, each containing 1,000 silver Mexican dollars. He then carried the treasure away from the massacre site some distance and buried it. He could not remember what direction or how far he walked.
 From there, Martinez claims he walked back to Mexico and in time returned home. He died soon after, but only after swearing his son to find the treasure.
 Years later, Martinez’s son did arrive in Dodge City to search for the treasure. He searched for weeks, but ultimately returned to Mexico empty handed. So far as is known, the treasure was never found.

Awesome!!!  Story!!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »

This Martinez is a liar for sure.