Author Topic: The game began there.  (Read 6685 times)

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
The game began there.
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The game began there.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
 :flush:
:dance:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
seems like a lot of random thoughts. wonder if KU teachers about paragraphs?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Casey's - Famous for Pizza

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
when they say "we are kansas" are they talking about them or us? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Interesting, if true.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
Those are the words that make up the pinstripes in our alt uni's:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
nike told us pinstripes are tacky.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
Those are the words that make up the pinstripes in our alt uni's:

You cannot be serious!  I thought that must have been from a fan page.  I get the rah-rah language, but the history is a little off.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
Funny how a game invented and developed in Springfield, Massachusetts was also invented in Lawrentucky. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
Funny how a game invented and developed in Springfield, Massachusetts was also invented in Lawrentucky.

we invented Decade of Dominance but there it went....

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »

we invented Decade of Dominance but there it went....

Well, Cawker City already has thrown down on the world's largest ball of twine, I guess Lawrence will go for being the home of basketball, even though it's pretty well understood it's not. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
What's so controversial about the quote?

Naismith invented basketball in 1891, and created the KU basketball program in 1898.  He developed the sport during his time at KU, and lived to see basketball become an official Olympic event in 1936.  Naismith became a US citizen in Lawrence and is buried in Lawrence.  Phog Allen was instrumental in bringing the sport of basketball to the Olympics, and as the founder of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, he helped develop the NCAA tournament.  Both men invented and innovated the sport, and their origins are in Lawrence, KS. 

Those are simply the facts, ladies and gents.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

Naismith invented basketball in 1891, and created the KU basketball program in 1898.  He developed the sport during his time at KU, and lived to see basketball become an official Olympic event in 1936.  Naismith became a US citizen in Lawrence and is buried in Lawrence.  Phog Allen was instrumental in bringing the sport of basketball to the Olympics, and as the founder of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, he helped develop the NCAA tournament.  Both men invented and innovated the sport, and their origins are in Lawrence, KS. 

I think you're having trouble with the term origins. Last I checked Naismith's "origins" where Canadian. Also the quote specifically says began here. The game began (even if Naismith was the true and sole inventor of the game) nowhere near Kansas.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »

That would make for good pinstripes too.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

That would make for good pinstripes too.

We missed the boat by not having all sports wear pinstripes detailing the monumental accomplishment that is Titletown

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »

I think you're having trouble with the term origins. Last I checked Naismith's "origins" where Canadian. Also the quote specifically says began here. The game began (even if Naismith was the true and sole inventor of the game) nowhere near Kansas.

Incorrect.  Naismith developed and expanded the game at Kansas, and Phog helped basketball become an Olympic sport while at KU.  Phog also created the NCAA tournament and helped basketball become the game that it is today.  The sport of basketball has origins in Lawrence, KS.... there's simply no disputing it (unless you're a butthurt 'tater, apparently).

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
I lived right behind Naismith's grave while I was a Lawrence resident and would often let my dog do his business all over it in the Spring time.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
Translation:  Hey listen to us.  This hobby sport’s inventor made his way here eventually.  Don’t be mean to the older players.  Take what those dead players did and steal it.  The future prefers those who are devoted to a cause.  Jewelry can’t be worn as a job.  In this hobby sport you get screwed.  You receive what you pay for.  We are a state.  Blue wings rising.  Move limestone, murderers.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
is springfield massachusetts located in kansas? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

The Big Train

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Like, nobody gives a crap about basketball tho, who rough ridin' cares who inventedstole it

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Incorrect.  Naismith developed and expanded the game at Kansas, and Phog helped basketball become an Olympic sport while at KU.  Phog also created the NCAA tournament and helped basketball become the game that it is today.  The sport of basketball has origins in Lawrence, KS.... there's simply no disputing it (unless you're a butthurt 'tater, apparently).

Ok, try reading slower and maybe you'll get it. You said Naismith and Allen's origins are in KU when actually they're from Canada and Missouri respectively. The quote states basketball began at KU which it did not, it began in Sprinfield, Massachusetts (if that's the true beginning).

No one disputes that Naismith to some degree and Allen much more so help develop it while at KU. But to say it began in Kansas is just completely wrong. That would be like saying Eisenhower was born in Kansas. Sure he grew up in Kansas but it's an indisputable fact he was born in Texas.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
when they say "we are kansas" are they talking about them or us?

:D
@Trogdor_gE

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Did you guys know when KU fans visit James Naismith's grave that they have to strip down to their underpants and leave their clothes at the tombstone. Buddy of mine saw it in a documentary.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread