Author Topic: Getting Rejected From Schools  (Read 6128 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Getting Rejected From Schools
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
Sucks nuts.  I've gotten a few of those for grad school recently.  Let's commiserate.  I just was told by a gopherey university up north that the professors really liked me but the Director of Graduate Studies, who ultimately has the final say, decided to reject me because my undergraduate grades weren't good enough.  Who knew that many years later, Pat's $2 pitcher Tuesdays would come back to haunt me?

undergraduate me---> :drink: :chainsaw: <---current me

But on the bright side, it looks like I'm gonna be watching games in Autzen Stadium next year.  Which is tight.

Come on EMAWers, make me feel like not as much of a loser 'cause right now I'm pretty much just all  :embarrassed:.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:51:52 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Rejected From Schools
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
Definitely happened to me too brah.  I know how you feel.  I was totally devastated and all  :embarrassed: & :cry:  It's all good though.  Things have a way of working out for the best.   :bartender:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
What are you going to grad school for? Imho 'egon>>'sota, i mean really 10,000 lakes what the hell would you do with 10,000 lakes anyway. On the other hand what could be more elite than mountains, oceans, lots of rain, and I assume a TON of hippies  :love:
I'm purple down

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
i'd love sympathize w/ you, but i've never been turned down by a school. prob sucks or something though.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »
i'd love sympathize w/ you, but i've never been turned down by a school. prob sucks or something though.

Ditto.  Which is proof that it's not that big a deal ... or something.  Last time I called my shot: one application, one admission; thank you very much. 

Had a friend who was accepted by Harvard but rejected by the last grad school that gave me a degree.  Merely further proof that it's all a crock of crap.   :pbj:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
called my shot: one application, one admission; thank you very much. 

me too. seems like a waste of time and money to apply to schools that you don't want to go to. pick the school that you want to go to...apply...and then go there. not that hard.  :dunno:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
KU was my last resort/fallback option.  It was by far the weakest program to which I applied and the easiest to get into.  It was my only rejection.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
Definitely happened to me too brah.  I know how you feel.  I was totally devastated and all  :embarrassed: & :cry:  It's all good though.  Things have a way of working out for the best.   :bartender:

It's Oregon!  Think they'll let me coach their BBall team too?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
The only reason I would go to grad school was if I didn't learn enough during undergrad.  Well let me share a little nugget with you- I did learn enough as an undergrad.

At the end of the day, if some dickfaced Dean of Admissions from the Land of Lakes tried to tell me that I was being denied b/c of my undergrad grades, I would laugh at him and finish my bacon-eggs-hashbrown-english muffin-milk dinner and walk away happy and full.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
True story you guys will never believe: My last grad program featured this 70 year old lech who was just coming off a 3-year suspension for sexually harassing a female student.  He was on the admissions committee his first year back and admitted a chick who was in no way qualified but who sent in glossy 8x10s of her last swimsuit modelling gig along with her other application materials.  Admission criteria can be, shall we say, somewhat flexible.  

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
Thank your lucky stars SB, Oregon will be only 100X better than the South.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
Oregon should be tons of fun.  Autzen and their basketball arena are cool, and should be pretty easy to get up to Seattle, which is an awesome city.

North Carolina waitlisted me.  When they finally called to ask me to come, I didn't return the call.  Funny thing was, this was right after Roy had turned them down the first time, and I sent them a letter saying that if they let me in, I wouldn't spurn them like Roy did.  (I was aiming for creativity points.)  But a few weeks later when they let me in, I laughed and never talked to them again.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
skinny, keep your head up. you have a lot to offer.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
Definitely happened to me too brah.  I know how you feel.  I was totally devastated and all  :embarrassed: & :cry:  It's all good though.  Things have a way of working out for the best.   :bartender:

:cheers: brah.  Next year you should probably fly up so we can  :users: with  :curse:.  <--And by that I mean...drink coffee with LeGarrett Blount, I guess.

Definitely excited about 'regon, 'specially over 'innesota, except that I have some friends in the Twin Cities but not in 'ugene.  

Throws a wrinkle into things with the lady, which sucks, but we'll figure it out.  I am pumped to tell Baton Rouge (aka Topeka Without All The Excitement, aka Google Without All The Excitement) to GTFOOMF.  I just wish I had, like, a million dope-ass schools to choose from so I could strut around and act like I'm the crap.  AND I WISH I HAD THE OUTRAGEOUS APPLICATION FEES BACK FROM THE SCHOOLS THAT TURNED ME DOWN.   :curse:

TONS of hippies in Oregon, can't wait.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:05:33 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
skinny, keep your head up. you have a lot to offer.

:peek:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
I got rejected by Yale for grad school.  However, I now fully admit that it was a really good decision on their part.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
Harvard was all "your application was a month late, the deadline was April 1st" and then I knew they would have totally let me in except I missed the deadline.

Made me feel pretty cool dudes, pretty cool.   :babywillie:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
This brings up an important point: do I now actively cheer against these schools that rejected me?  I mean, many of the schools I applied to are ones that I've cheered for for a long freaking time.  What am I to do?   :runaway: :barf:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
This brings up an important point: do I now actively cheer against these schools that rejected me?  I mean, many of the schools I applied to are ones that I've cheered for for a long freaking time.  What am I to do?   :runaway: :barf:

Do you vote for the girl who stomped your balls to get prom queen?  You know the answer to this bro.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
many of the schools I applied to are ones that I've cheered for for a long freaking time.  What am I to do? 

how many schools do you cheer for? list?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
I think the real question is, who the shazbot! goes far away for grad school?

Jfc, :facepalm:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
I think the real question is, who the shazbot! goes far away for grad school?

Jfc, :facepalm:

Somebody who lives in the wasteland of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
many of the schools I applied to are ones that I've cheered for for a long freaking time.  What am I to do?  

1.  Kazzu Khatz
2.  Manhattan High Indhz
3.  Carson Home Sales (my 7th grade MPRD B-ball team)
4.  Milwaukee Bucks (Steve Henson)
5.  Dream Team '92
6.  Georgia Bulldogs (Gramps lives there)
7.  CHIEEEEEEEEEFS
8.  Washburn (Bob Chipman should be our next coach imo)
9.  NOT THE FREAKING JUNCTION CITY BLUE JAYS
10. Whatever team Michael J. Fox was on in "Teen Wolf"
11. Flint Tropics
12. MMS Papooses
13. SBAMS Tornadoes
14. Some minor league team called the Sultans (got their hat for cheap at Ballard's Outlet Dog Days)
15. NES Tecmo Super Bowl's Oakland Raiders ('cause they had Bo)
16. Little Caesar's, the 5th grade MPRD team Dr. Spaceman and I were on (much belated thanks for the postseason pool/pizza party, bro!  :cool:)
17. Ottawa Senators (because they were real bad once upon a time and I felt like they needed some fans)
18. Dallas Mavericks (sister went to SMU)
19. Wisconsin (because they jump around and because I had a dope time with Dr. Spaceman at The Citaaay)

But those are just my top 19.  You want I should go on?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:18:30 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
many of the schools I applied to are ones that I've cheered for for a long freaking time.  What am I to do?  

1.  Kazzu Khatz
2.  Manhattan High Indhz
3.  Carson Home Sales (my 7th grade MPRD B-ball team)
4.  Milwaukee Bucks (Steve Henson)
5.  Dream Team '92
6.  Georgia Bulldogs (Gramps lives there)
7.  CHIEEEEEEEEEFS
8.  Washburn (Bob Chipman should be our next coach imo)
9.  NOT THE FREAKING JUNCTION CITY BLUE JAYS
10. Whatever team Michael J. Fox was on in "Teen Wolf"
11. Flint Tropics
12. MMS Papooses
13. SBAMS Tornadoes
14. Some minor league team called the Sultans (got their hat for cheap at Ballard's Outlet Dog Days)
15. NES Tecmo Super Bowl's Oakland Raiders ('cause they had Bo)
16. Little Caesar's, the 5th grade MPRD team Dr. Spaceman and I were on (much belated thanks for the postseason pool/pizza party, bro!  :cool:)
17. Ottawa Senators (because they were real bad once upon a time and I felt like they needed some fans)
18. Dallas Mavericks (sister went to SMU)
19. Wisconsin (because they jump around and because I had a dope time with Dr. Spaceman at The Citaaay)

But those are just my top 19.  You want I should go on?

i'd say to keep going until you get to five schools (colleges), which was the original question. so probably another thirty.  :users:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
I've been talking to the graduate admission dude for Agecon, and he straight up told me my grades aren't good enough. Not looking like i'll get them up either.