Author Topic: Questions about scheduling philosophy  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
Questions about scheduling philosophy
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but I was trying to devise what the ideal scheduling strategy for K-State should be and was curious what others thought.

1.) Should K-State schedule ONE FCS (Div. I-AA) team every season?  - As much as I hate doing it, I have to say yes to this.  It gives us a guaranteed home game and a guaranteed win that counts towards bowl eligibility.

2.) Should K-State look into scheduling any neutral site games with middle to upper level BCS conference teams?  Arrowhead would be an obvious choice for the site but maybe other possibilities could be Denver, St. louis, or Jerryworld.    - I'm leaning toward answering no to this but I am a total sucker for neutral site games, dunno why.  The main reasons why not would be because of the higher likelihood of losing due to playing a higher profile opponent and the fact that it takes away a potential home game.

3.) Assuming we do schedule one home game against an FCS team every year, how do we approach the remaining 3 non-con games?  Is the goal to get an almost guaranteed 4 wins in non-con by playing all 4 games against terrible teams?  Is the goal to play higher profile teams to get K-State national television exposure but risk losing 1 or 2 non-con games in doing so?  How many BCS conference opponents should we schedule vs. non-BCS conference opponents?  Should we do home-and-home series with the remaining 3 non-con games or try to do some the one year home game rent-a-victim deals?   - I think the goal should be to schedule in such a way that we are fairly certain we will get 4 wins in non-con.  I think the benefits of 4 wins outweighs the excitement and exposure we get from playing nationally televised games where we will likely lose.  The big XII has enough potential for big games.  As for the remaining 3 games, I think it is most fiscally responsible to schedule 3 home-and-home series.  I think we should try really hard to get 1-2 bottom dwellers in BCS conferences (ex: Indiana, Washington State, Syracuse, and Virginia)  And 1-2 regional mid-majors (ex: Colorado State, Wyoming, Tulsa, and Texas/Louisiana schools)  

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about scheduling philosophy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
too long
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »
1. Convince SEC to join the B12 for the football version of that "Big10/ACC Challenge" basketball thing.
2. Fill the remaining spots with 2 home wins (hopefully both D1, but a single 1aa will work) and a home/away with a mid-major that is in a location that makes sense.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
All I know is that if Snyder does it, it is the only possible way to do things at Kansas State University and be successful.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

So my answer is whatever ISWT would choose!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
I say take nothing but money games and get paid to go to USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, etc. Pay some crap off, build that damn basketball facility, etc. It's pretty much the only responsible/sensible thing to do. Plus, we get to watch the cats get trounced on TV!  :ksu:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
Call them 1-AA, fracker!

:cheese:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

catzacker

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
we should schedule teams close to lakes because lakes usually have the calmest water.  Forget the teams on the coast, oceans are rough.

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »
we should schedule teams close to lakes because lakes usually have the calmest water.  Forget the teams on the coast, oceans are rough.

Lol.   :lol:
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »
If zacker had a twitter, I would email Currie and tell him to subscribe (BECAUSE I KNOW HE'D RESPOND RIGHT AWAY  :ksu:)
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
If zacker had a twitter, I would email Currie and tell him to subscribe (BECAUSE I KNOW HE'D RESPOND RIGHT AWAY  :ksu:)

zacker would be a very good twitter'r imo.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 05:34:16 AM »
Milk this football thing for everything it's got then skip town.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
IMHO

game one: Home game vs a bottom half BCS school

game two: Arrowhead and (__insert kinda nutral game here__) with middle of pack to higer end non BCS school

game three: D1-AA home game

game four: home and home with middle of pack non BCS scohol