Author Topic: KU's new basketball dormitory facility  (Read 51135 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KU's new basketball dormitory facility
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
Slightly OT, but should we build one of these things? Maybe this should be our next project after the NEZ. Build a dorm big enough for the football and basketball teams and put it where the hotel was supposed to go?

We've obviously got a ton of boosters who want to throw more money at our programs, and if we're not willing to pay players then this seems like the next best thing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
yeah that sounds like just a great idea. let's put one hundred 18-13 yr old uber athletic males from different sports into the same building blocks aways from other students.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
yeah that sounds like just a great idea. let's put one hundred 18-13 yr old uber athletic males from different sports into the same building blocks aways from other students.
as long as they aren't in front of the union I see no problem with this plan
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »
Slightly OT, but should we build one of these things? Maybe this should be our next project after the NEZ. Build a dorm big enough for the football and basketball teams and put it where the hotel was supposed to go?

We've obviously got a ton of boosters who want to throw more money at our programs, and if we're not willing to pay players then this seems like the next best thing.

Just clear out the closest block of Jardine Buildings.  Would be like Olympic Village. 

The Big Train

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
Surprised somebody hadn't posted this yet. I guess just saying "We are Kansas" isn't enough anymore  :frown:

University officials say they need the upscale living to compete for basketball recruits.

http://www.wibw.com/home/localnews/headlines/House-committee-rejects-KU-basketball-apartments-245527991.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&device=phone

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
Reading phog.net is always such a treat. 

What they don't get is that projects like the WSC have a clear and definable methodology for paying off the debt (and had significant upfront private donations).   It's also a working facility that's used nearly every day by every athlete at the training table, as well as SID/Media production people on the media level.   It's also a facility that can be rented out for social events etc. etc.   

The projects on the table now for K-State will be privately funded and don't need legislative approval of the financing.

As the CJ Online article says, some in the legislature are just saying that ku can build all the penis envy basketball dorms (serving a very select few) they want, they just need to pay for it with private funds.  Just like Kentucky and OU did.   

Once again I ask, why is ku having to borrow money for this, according to most of squawknet the school has wealth beyond your wildest imagination, so what's $17 million?

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »

The NCAA doesn't allow athletic dorms anymore so you'd have to have regular students in the same facililty.  I think it has to be more than half regular students which is why the proposed KU building is a 66 person facility with 32 bball spots. 

The problem with this type of facility is you want to make it as small as possible in order to have the lowest number of regular students possible.  But when you do that it becomes very hard to justify on a cost per student basis and the revenue projections fall short of what is needed to service a bond issue.  If KU wants to do this fine but it sure as hell needs to be done with donar money.  I'm surprised they had the nerve to take something like this to the legislature in the first place.   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
I'm surprised they had the nerve to take something like this to the legislature in the first place.

I agree.  seeing how we've pulled off BBTF (100% privately funded), WSC (largely privately funded), and are embarking upon Vanier2.0 (largely privately funded) all in a 5 year span, I'm kind of surprised they can't come up with the money.  Maybe it's not surprising tho.  I mean, not all Kansans are :kstategrad:

I almost feel bad for them.  If we all chipped in, maybe we could help them reach their goal???

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »

The NCAA doesn't allow athletic dorms anymore so you'd have to have regular students in the same facililty.  I think it has to be more than half regular students which is why the proposed KU building is a 66 person facility with 32 bball spots. 

The problem with this type of facility is you want to make it as small as possible in order to have the lowest number of regular students possible.  But when you do that it becomes very hard to justify on a cost per student basis and the revenue projections fall short of what is needed to service a bond issue.  If KU wants to do this fine but it sure as hell needs to be done with donar money.  I'm surprised they had the nerve to take something like this to the legislature in the first place.

:D

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
guys, the phog is taking up collections so they can run tv commercials during election season and really show kansas "who runs joco".

i'm not even goemawing!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »
Ku would be smart to not try and compete dollar for dollar with Kentucky bball.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
Makes sense that the State of Kansas passes a bill that permits businesses from serving gays, but when KU Athletics wants to build an apartment building, they don't.

IMO, this is no different than a bond for a hospital expansion

The government has to approve the bonds. It is privately funded.

Maybe take a business class, pal.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:10:30 PM by EMAWmeister »

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
Makes sense that the State of Kansas passes a bill that permits businesses from serving gays, but when KU Athletics wants to build an apartment building, they don't.

The government has to approve the bonds. It is privately funded.

Maybe take a business class, pal.

lol

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
You know you're dealing with intellectual giants when they're equating a luxury athletic dorm for basketball players as equal to adding a wing on to a hospital.

Then the posts implying that more progressive types on the political spectrum would welcome a luxury athletic dorm.     

You just step back and let phog.net be phog.net.   :popcorn:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »

this is the best post in that thread, which is saying something, because that's a great thread.  I also enjoyed the discussion on KU breaking away from the state over the course of the next couple decades.
emaw

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »
Yes the secession of Lawrence from the state of Kansas or "succession" as they are calling it is by far the best part.

Quick question, if they are taking up a collection to run a political campaign, would it not make sense to use that money instead for their luxury apartment building?  I'm probably missing something.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
If they secede the new state should be called Bedbugington

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
Guys, this is so pathetic. I knew they were poor, but yeesh.

And why so desperate to throw good money (well, someone else's money) after bad (college basketball)?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »
If they can't get the money to build an apartment building, how are they gonna get the money to remove their football track?  Serious question. 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »
If they can't get the money to build an apartment building, how are they gonna get the money to remove their football track?  Serious question.

Magic?

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
Selfs gonna be pissed that the money gets dumped into a 1 win team while he's on the verge of a NC every year.

sent from my phone while in the crapper

it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »
Selfs gonna be pissed that the money gets dumped into a 1 win team while he's on the verge of a NC every year.

That's the thing. Self will get the money.  That's why the track has remained for so long and why it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. At least until they build these dorms.

The Big Train

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

:lol:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks. Didn't mean to GPC the place up.
I think the robot parking garage is what did it in. If I was a legislator, I'd see
600 rooms, about half of which would be paid for by athletic scholarships -OK
11,000 sq ft of retail space, brings in some rent money -OK
Giant claw machine parks residents' cars for them -LOL NO

You're thinking of the apartments by the football stadium.  That's a separate project from the $17 million, 66-person apartments they're trying to build by AFH.

Beems do you like this project?  Would you want private donors to put the money towards a different Athletics Department type project?  I understand if it is a recruiting tool....but you obviously already recruit great (top 5) players without it.  I want your perspective because I feel like you are a guy that would say it's unnecessary if it really is unnecessary.  I also know you are not a KU BB only type of fan and care about KU Athletics as a whole.   

I support any facility project that helps give KU a competitive advantage.  That being said, my first thought when I heard about the project was "this is a slap in the face to the football program."  The football stadium is in desperate need of an upgrade, and here we are building a $17 million luxury apartment complex for our basketball program.  It is what it is, I guess.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »

Magic?

Yep, magic