Author Topic: KU's new basketball dormitory facility  (Read 51102 times)

Offline Kermit

• Fan
  • "Wanna Guess Where My Thumb Has Been"
    • View Profile
Re: KU's new basketball dormitory facility
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
Why doesn't KU just ask us to borrow money?   :tsc:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
Look kids, they tried to convince themselves for years that K-State didn't have the financial resources to compete, they don't understand how this all works and they clearly don't understand how much private money is now being contributed to the K-State athletic department these days (Nearly $39 million last year, and if CC is right, that number will be surpassed this year).   

Now that all their little myths are being destroyed, they have nothing left to do but lash out on K-State message boards when we have a little fun at their expense.

The psychological issues at play are varied and broad:  Anger, low self-esteem, ego etc.  The list is almost endless.

K-State didn't have the financial resources to compete until recently.  The university has grown, and the football program and basketball program are both good for the first time in school history.  The truth is that you and the rest of the butthurt squad have convinced yourselves that KU is this poor, second-class program that can't afford anything.  Then when KU privately finances and announces plans for the best athletic housing facility in college basketball, you continue to manipulate the rhetoric and portray KU as this poor program that has to beg for money.  It's really sad just how bitter and jealous you are of all things KU.  You are one of those sick people who hates their rival more than they love their own school.

LOL, we clown ku because we know it makes you and your ilk angry.   No one said ku is poor, but you and the phog have tried to paint a picture that ku has unlimited resources (mainly because dummies confuse endowments with capital giving and such) and can do whatever it wants whenever it wants.  Then reality takes a big bite:  Gridiron Club, no Olympic Village on Campus, 2015 or later on stadium improvements, going and asking other ku departments to go into debt to build a basketball dorm . . . and we laugh a little at ku and you can't handle it.

From the time AFH was built until around 2004 or 2005; ku did exactly one truly significant sports facilities project, one.  Bob Fredrick went and borrowed $30 million dollars to keep memorial stadium from crumbling to the ground, put up a new press box and bought a videoboard. 

Other than that the only other things even remotely significant that were done was a few improvements to baseball, some restrooms and fire control system at AFH, some new offices at AFH, a few new playing surfaces, some new scoreboards and a tin shed practice gym/volleyball facility, and the Anschutz Pavilion.   That's pretty much it over a span of nearly FIFTY YEARS.    So quit acting like ku isn't also a Johnny Come Lately on major facilities projects.   

It wasn't until around 2004-5-6 that ku completed anything even remotely substantial AND that was funded significantly with private money and that was the BHOA and the new weightroom at AFH (and Al Bohl had to go borrow $4 million from the KU Endowment to do that).    Every major facilities project at ku since 1998 has needed borrowed money, or some type of weird off campus partnership financing except for the BHOA.   Hell, Lew conned the students into building the new rowing facility for crying out loud.

1.  KU fans have never claimed that we have "unlimited resources."  Maybe someone could make that argument for the men's basketball program, but no one would say that about the entire athletic department.  The Gridiron Club was a massive failure, and Lew devastated the entire football program by hiring Gill.  No one would deny that.  As for the Olympic Village, they moved it off campus and will build the athletic dorm in its place.  By all accounts, the Rock Chalk Park is going to be a really nice sports complex, and the city of Lawrence will be able to benefit from the new recreation center and the shared facilities.  I think it's actually pretty cool that regular citizens will benefit from the project.  KU might actually be able to draw more fans to the non-revenue sports because of it.

2.  The Anderson Family Strength & Conditioning Center was built in 2002.  It is arguably nicer than Vanier, which is funny because that would mean that KU has two strength centers nicer than K-State's. 

http://www.kuconnection.org/archive/2002/06/places_anderson.asp

3.  AFH and the adjacent facilities underwent over $70 million in upgrades in 2009.  The football complex was completed in 2008 and cost $31 million.  Baseball, softball, volleyball, track, and rowing have all had facilities upgrades in the past few years as well.  With the Rock Chalk Sports Park, KU will have completed over $130 million in athletic facilities upgrades since '07. 

4. Last but not least, take a look at KU and K-State's financial statements.  Last time I checked, K-State had over $83 million in bonds payable, while KU was somewhere around $40 million (IIRC).  K-State has taken on a ton of debt with its recent facilities projects, much more than KU in fact.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
I never understood what an "Olympic village" was anyway.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
Look kids, they tried to convince themselves for years that K-State didn't have the financial resources to compete, they don't understand how this all works and they clearly don't understand how much private money is now being contributed to the K-State athletic department these days (Nearly $39 million last year, and if CC is right, that number will be surpassed this year).   

Now that all their little myths are being destroyed, they have nothing left to do but lash out on K-State message boards when we have a little fun at their expense.

The psychological issues at play are varied and broad:  Anger, low self-esteem, ego etc.  The list is almost endless.

K-State didn't have the financial resources to compete until recently.  The university has grown, and the football program and basketball program are both good for the first time in school history.  The truth is that you and the rest of the butthurt squad have convinced yourselves that KU is this poor, second-class program that can't afford anything.  Then when KU privately finances and announces plans for the best athletic housing facility in college basketball, you continue to manipulate the rhetoric and portray KU as this poor program that has to beg for money.  It's really sad just how bitter and jealous you are of all things KU.  You are one of those sick people who hates their rival more than they love their own school.

LOL, we clown ku because we know it makes you and your ilk angry.   No one said ku is poor, but you and the phog have tried to paint a picture that ku has unlimited resources (mainly because dummies confuse endowments with capital giving and such) and can do whatever it wants whenever it wants.  Then reality takes a big bite:  Gridiron Club, no Olympic Village on Campus, 2015 or later on stadium improvements, going and asking other ku departments to go into debt to build a basketball dorm . . . and we laugh a little at ku and you can't handle it.

From the time AFH was built until around 2004 or 2005; ku did exactly one truly significant sports facilities project, one.  Bob Fredrick went and borrowed $30 million dollars to keep memorial stadium from crumbling to the ground, put up a new press box and bought a videoboard. 

Other than that the only other things even remotely significant that were done was a few improvements to baseball, some restrooms and fire control system at AFH, some new offices at AFH, a few new playing surfaces, some new scoreboards and a tin shed practice gym/volleyball facility, and the Anschutz Pavilion.   That's pretty much it over a span of nearly FIFTY YEARS.    So quit acting like ku isn't also a Johnny Come Lately on major facilities projects.   

It wasn't until around 2004-5-6 that ku completed anything even remotely substantial AND that was funded significantly with private money and that was the BHOA and the new weightroom at AFH (and Al Bohl had to go borrow $4 million from the KU Endowment to do that).    Every major facilities project at ku since 1998 has needed borrowed money, or some type of weird off campus partnership financing except for the BHOA.   Hell, Lew conned the students into building the new rowing facility for crying out loud.

1.  KU fans have never claimed that we have "unlimited resources."  Maybe someone could make that argument for the men's basketball program, but no one would say that about the entire athletic department.  The Gridiron Club was a massive failure, and Lew devastated the entire football program by hiring Gill.  No one would deny that.  As for the Olympic Village, they moved it off campus and will build the athletic dorm in its place.  By all accounts, the Rock Chalk Park is going to be a really nice sports complex, and the city of Lawrence will be able to benefit from the new recreation center and the shared facilities.  I think it's actually pretty cool that regular citizens will benefit from the project.  KU might actually be able to draw more fans to the non-revenue sports because of it.  It's immaterial that Rock Chalk Park will be cool for regular citizens, ku athletics made this move out of financial necessity, not because ku athletics decided one day it would be a good citizen of Lawrence.

2.  The Anderson Family Strength & Conditioning Center was built in 2002.  It is arguably nicer than Vanier, which is funny because that would mean that KU has two strength centers nicer than K-State's.  The really has nothing to do with the actual point, again, ku went nearly 50 years with only one truly substantial facilities project

http://www.kuconnection.org/archive/2002/06/places_anderson.asp

3.  AFH and the adjacent facilities underwent over $70 million in upgrades in 2009.  The football complex was completed in 2008 and cost $31 million.  Baseball, softball, volleyball, track, and rowing have all had facilities upgrades in the past few years as well.  With the Rock Chalk Sports Park, KU will have completed over $130 million in athletic facilities upgrades since '07.    That's all understood, and that makes my point, ku is every bit the Johnny come lately when it comes to major facilities improvements that K-State is, and if you want to go back to '07 period to now, that would mean K-State has spent $145 million on facilities since '07. 

4. Last but not least, take a look at KU and K-State's financial statements.  Last time I checked, K-State had over $83 million in bonds payable, while KU was somewhere around $40 million (IIRC).  K-State has taken on a ton of debt with its recent facilities projects, much more than KU in fact.  Of course what you always leave out is that ku athletics is now saddled with a 50 year lease on its books, and K-State athletics believes that they could retire all of that $80 million in debt early.  But that really has nothing to do with nothing.  It appears that K-State will be announcing the largest solely privately funded athletics project in KBOR school history, after just finishing the largest athletic facilities project in KBOR school history.  No other projects have even come close in either category to date. 

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
I love when Dax goes into CPA mode, gives me a lot of talking points with KU tucks.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
I love when Dax goes into CPA mode, gives me a lot of talking points with KU tucks.
Yeah, total body bag moment there.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

K-State fans think the butthurt, anti-KU guy with incorrect info won the argument.  Shocking.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »

K-State fans think the butthurt, anti-KU guy with incorrect info won the argument.  Shocking.

Nothing to see here folks...  Beems posts a bunch of false assumptions and conjecture then dax destroys him with facts, causing beems to everybody butthurt, anti-ku, 'taters, etc. 

Rinse and repeat.

:buh-bye:
bears are fast...

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
"You came to Lawrence...To run on this track..."
Welcome to even more non-Basketball eliteness, fans of KU sport:

...school officials announced that the track surface at Rock Chalk Park will be recognized by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) as the fifth Class I Certified track on United States soil, and will be one of only 105 in the entire world.

Rock Chalk Park will join Oregon, Auburn and Arkansas at the collegiate level, and the surface at Icahn Stadium in New York to rank among the nation's elite track and field facilities. A coup in having a world-class facility like Rock Chalk Park has already been seen, as Kansas was selected to host its first NCAA West Preliminary regional meet May 26-28, 2016, which will feature the top-48 student-athletes in each event west of the Mississippi River.

"Our goal was to build one of the three or four highest-end competitive tracks in the nation - a world-class track that would allow KU to host not just state and regional competition, but national competition," said KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger in a press release. "This certification proves that we have accomplished our goals and now have a national championship team competing in a world-class facility."

Kansas head track and field coach Stanley Redwine is also pleased with the news.

"I'm really excited about getting the Class I certification," Redwine said. "That means that we'll have one of the top tracks in the world. It will help draw athletes from around the country knowing that they are competing on an outstanding surface. They can come (to Lawrence) assured that they're going to run fast times and have great performances at all our meets."

...The surface at Rock Chalk Park, installed by Beynon Sports Surfaces, underwent in-situ testing for the certification process. The average depth of the running surface for IAAF Class I certification is 12 mm, while the average depth for Rock Chalk Park ranged from 16mm to 19mm.

"The BSS 2000 system installed at Rock Chalk Park will offer the ultimate edge in performance while providing a safe site for daily training," said John Beynon, founder of Beynon Sport. "A force-reduction layer, constructed with butyl rubber and polyurethane will allow athletes to take advantage of top level control and maximum energy return."

:fatty:

source: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/feb/26/new-ku-track-rock-chalk-park-honored-distinct-labe/

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

Nothing to see here folks...  Beems posts a bunch of false assumptions and conjecture then dax destroys him with facts, causing beems to everybody butthurt, anti-ku, 'taters, etc. 

Rinse and repeat.

:buh-bye:

:flush:

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
Welcome to even more non-Basketball eliteness, fans of KU sport:

...school officials announced that the track surface at Rock Chalk Park will be recognized by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) as the fifth Class I Certified track on United States soil, and will be one of only 105 in the entire world.

Rock Chalk Park will join Oregon, Auburn and Arkansas at the collegiate level, and the surface at Icahn Stadium in New York to rank among the nation's elite track and field facilities. A coup in having a world-class facility like Rock Chalk Park has already been seen, as Kansas was selected to host its first NCAA West Preliminary regional meet May 26-28, 2016, which will feature the top-48 student-athletes in each event west of the Mississippi River.

"Our goal was to build one of the three or four highest-end competitive tracks in the nation - a world-class track that would allow KU to host not just state and regional competition, but national competition," said KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger in a press release. "This certification proves that we have accomplished our goals and now have a national championship team competing in a world-class facility."

Kansas head track and field coach Stanley Redwine is also pleased with the news.

"I'm really excited about getting the Class I certification," Redwine said. "That means that we'll have one of the top tracks in the world. It will help draw athletes from around the country knowing that they are competing on an outstanding surface. They can come (to Lawrence) assured that they're going to run fast times and have great performances at all our meets."

...The surface at Rock Chalk Park, installed by Beynon Sports Surfaces, underwent in-situ testing for the certification process. The average depth of the running surface for IAAF Class I certification is 12 mm, while the average depth for Rock Chalk Park ranged from 16mm to 19mm.

"The BSS 2000 system installed at Rock Chalk Park will offer the ultimate edge in performance while providing a safe site for daily training," said John Beynon, founder of Beynon Sport. "A force-reduction layer, constructed with butyl rubber and polyurethane will allow athletes to take advantage of top level control and maximum energy return."

:fatty:

source: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/feb/26/new-ku-track-rock-chalk-park-honored-distinct-labe/

as someone who is a fan of track (still goes to Kstate indoor track meet on occasions) and always enjoyed the Kansas Relays, that's pretty neat.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 26, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »

Congrats. Will go to RCP, just too see this surface.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #287 on: February 26, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
Why is K-State too poor and irrelevant to build one of these facilities for themselves?

There's like, 4 schools in the whole country that give a crap about basketball

Ours is called Jardine and it cost 5x as much and is way awesomer (assuming)

:love: :love:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »
How do you know 'Sbarro won't be involved? Could be anything.  Mercedes show room, Louis Vuitton, 'Sbarro, who knows?

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-02-19/sbarro-manager-says-restaurant-will-close-wednesday

:frown:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:40 AM »
I never understood what an "Olympic village" was anyway.

Pound Town.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »
That is a very nice running track.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

Please correct Dax on what he said then. Everything you've said has attempted to place KU ahead of K-State in this arms race, when Dax has repeatedly shown they are competitive ventures.

This is the problem with your mindset right here.  You've been trying to say that K-State is well behind capabilities for years and we've been able to prove you wrong with massive projects supporting our athletics program.  The goading, as pointed out, is to poke at your insecurity.  The entire KU mindset is built around the Harvard of the Midwest mythology.  Every project, title, donation, national recognition K-State receives strikes at that mythology in your mind and exposes your insecurity.  I'll bet you respond to all of this with a K-States projects mean nothing talking point or a TLDNR.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
Beems is going to cling to me being off by a couple of years on the $8 million dollar ($4 million borrowed) Anderson Strength Center like a guy knocked overboard in the middle of the Pacific clinging to a piece of drift wood. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
None of K-State's recent facilities projects have translated into getting top recruits or winning national titles.  K-State is just trying to keep pace with the rest of the programs in the league.  Meanwhile, KU is setting a standard of excellence in college basketball and competing for the best players in the country.  That's the main difference.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
None of K-State's recent facilities projects have translated into getting top recruits or winning national titles.  K-State is just trying to keep pace with the rest of the programs in the league.  Meanwhile, KU is setting a standard of excellence in college basketball and competing for the best players in the country.  That's the main difference.

We have one of the best freshman in the country.  :dubious:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

We have one of the best freshman classes in the country.  :dubious:
FYP

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
A couple chicks I went to high school with lived in the Jayhawk Towers.  Word on the street was that they hooked up with basketball players but maybe that was just talk.  One was on that group of chicks that would tour recruits around.

One thing was true though, they seemed to fill the non-athlete portion of the towers with good looking girls.

KU is very, very good at the little things that mean a lot.  I commend them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
Beams, we just landed the top KS HS QB prospect of the last couple decades :dunno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »
There's a lot more to getting top recruits than dorm rooms and nice dressing rooms.   I wish we did more of it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Landed Beasley and Walker and at least one of them is quite a bit better than Wiggins