Author Topic: KU's new basketball dormitory facility  (Read 51168 times)

Offline ZappaCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KU's new basketball dormitory facility
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but saying that KU built the track complex is a bit of an overstatement. Didn't KU figure out a way to put the city of Lawrence on the hook for that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

480 more payments and it's paid off.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
The "KU has multiple alums who can afford to donate millions" talk is getting old.  Either your alums are unwilling to donate or KU has the worst Athletic Department in division 1 when it comes to raising money (or maybe a lethal combo of both).  Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.  T's and P's.

KU has raised over a billion dollars since '08 through its Far Above fundraising campaign.  There's plenty of deep pockets to help fund the football stadium upgrade once HNTB releases the renderings after bball season.  My guess is that Illig and Cerner play a big role in the upgrades, and KU incorporates some of the technology from Sporting Park into the new Memorial.

I know you're smarter than this.  The endowment is not an ATM that can be used for athletic facilities upgrades.

I never implied that it was, although one of the goals of the campaign is to raise around $150 million for facilities upgrades. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
ku is not doing a complete upgrade of memorial

If K-State had just built a brand new sports complex for its national championship track & field program, announced plans for a $17 million luxury apartment for its bball programs, hired HNTB for a complete upgrade of its football stadium, and started construction for a facility that would house the original rules of basketball, I wouldn't be making fun of them.  But hey, I guess that's what separates me from the inferiority complex'd herd at goEMAW.com.

to be fair, you can't say that with 100% certainty, because ku doesn't even know with 100% certainty what they're going to do. still just talking about different options.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
If K-State had just built a brand new sports complex for its national championship track & field program, announced plans for a $17 million luxury apartment for its bball programs, hired HNTB for a complete upgrade of its football stadium, and started construction for a facility that would house the original rules of basketball, I wouldn't be making fun of them.  But hey, I guess that's what separates me from the inferiority complex'd herd at goEMAW.com.

:ROFL:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
The "KU has multiple alums who can afford to donate millions" talk is getting old.  Either your alums are unwilling to donate or KU has the worst Athletic Department in division 1 when it comes to raising money (or maybe a lethal combo of both).  Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.  T's and P's.

KU has raised over a billion dollars since '08 through its Far Above fundraising campaign.  There's plenty of deep pockets to help fund the football stadium upgrade once HNTB releases the renderings after bball season.  My guess is that Illig and Cerner play a big role in the upgrades, and KU incorporates some of the technology from Sporting Park into the new Memorial.

I know you're smarter than this.  The endowment is not an ATM that can be used for athletic facilities upgrades.

I never implied that it was, although one of the goals of the campaign is to raise around $150 million for facilities upgrades.

Sorry, you didn't and my bad for wording my post like that.  You obviously know the difference but many KU fans like to throw out the billion $ endowment when discussing athletic facilities like it's a piggy bank meant to be raided for that sole purpose.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »

Sorry, you didn't and my bad for wording my post like that.  You obviously know the difference but many KU fans like to throw out the billion $ endowment when discussing athletic facilities like it's a piggy bank meant to be raided for that sole purpose.

Naw, they just like to throw it in your face because it's something you don't have :kstategrad:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
if $150 million is earmarked for athletics, they'll probably spend it on a fleet of limos to drive the basketball team around to protect them
emaw

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
Sure do use the words "plan on" a lot there beems. That hasn't worked out so well for you guys in the past

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »

So why the elaborate leasing agreement for the east Topeka T&F facility?  Should be chump change for big wheels like KU, not a leaseback traditionally reserved for the cash poor. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »
"k-state is in shambles"  "k-state doesn't have the financial horsepower to compete over the long haul"

Welp, $128 million in facilities improvements in 4 years, another $62 million in the final planning phases and nearly $90 million dollars in private giving to K-State athletics in 4 years, with one Elite Booster footing nearly half the bill on the next round.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
There may be a stipulation regarding occupancy, rather than strict number of units. 51% of occupants must be non-athletes in the building. The federal government will fight the tax-exempt status of the athletic department if the occupancy is more athletes than non-athletes. Definitely a slippery slope if they can't find occupants for the other apartments, especially with other new private units being built near Memorial Stadium. This could also raise concerns regarding football housing, volleyball housing, track housing, etc., and whether or not all athletes are treated fairly. This shouldn't matter (in my opinion, based on which teams bring in more $$$) but college athletic departments are considered non-taxable charities, rather than separate entities. I doubt the athletic department will want to pay taxes just so xyz basketball player can live in a nicer apartment unit.

This dormitory will be built though, without a doubt. Those are just the details that must be addressed. Rest easy, Beems.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »

All depends on if the Royals come on the market.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
There may be a stipulation regarding occupancy, rather than strict number of units. 51% of occupants must be non-athletes in the building. The federal government will fight the tax-exempt status of the athletic department if the occupancy is more athletes than non-athletes. Definitely a slippery slope if they can't find occupants for the other apartments, especially with other new private units being built near Memorial Stadium. This could also raise concerns regarding football housing, volleyball housing, track housing, etc., and whether or not all athletes are treated fairly. This shouldn't matter (in my opinion, based on which teams bring in more $$$) but college athletic departments are considered non-taxable charities, rather than separate entities. I doubt the athletic department will want to pay taxes just so xyz basketball player can live in a nicer apartment unit.

This dormitory will be built though, without a doubt. Those are just the details that must be addressed. Rest easy, Beems.

66 apartments.  32 athletes.  34 non-athletes.

34/66 = 51.51%

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

Lady track and field.

But grats on someday maybe announcing plans to renovate the worst football stadium in DI

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »

You affirmatively stated they raised over a billion dollars, which is a flat out lie. And 80% of the number they have raised is "deferred giving" so its more like in excess of $200 million.

The cerner guys haven't spent a nickel on Ku athletics to date, but yeah, they'll probably foot the bill for a new stadium.

Meanwhile, the Edgerly family cuts 8 figure checks. Oh the plight of being poor
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
Of course Paul Gorup thought so much of Ku that he sent his kids to kstate and donates a substantial amount of money to kstate. And the other cerner guy went to okie state.  But yeah, the cerner guys are is gonna build Ku a football stadium.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:35:21 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
Havs is right, just a couple minor details to get worked out.  Rest easy, Beems.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2014, 02:47:43 AM »
FSD is going straight dax on these point plnkrs.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

You affirmatively stated they raised over a billion dollars, which is a flat out lie. And 80% of the number they have raised is "deferred giving" so its more like in excess of $200 million.

The cerner guys haven't spent a nickel on Ku athletics to date, but yeah, they'll probably foot the bill for a new stadium.

Meanwhile, the Edgerly family cuts 8 figure checks. Oh the plight of being poor

False. They paid for almost the entire AFH renovation in like '08. But I'd bet money they try and turn memorial into sporting park west.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
KU has raised over a billion dollars in private funding since 08.  Unlike K-State, we have multiple alums who can afford to donate millions to renovating the stadium.  Cliff Illig and Cerner are heavily Involved in the process, and renderings will be released after bball season concludes.

Just out of curiosity, how strong is your source?

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
I really appreciate how uninformed most ku people are.

If it's not begging for the Cerner guys money, it's begging for Anschutz money.   It's really kind of pathetic.

Meanwhile EMAW elite donors just whip out the checkbook and hand over another $10 million.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

If it's not begging for the Cerner guys money, it's begging for Anschutz money.   It's really kind of pathetic.

Meanwhile EMAW elite donors just whip out the checkbook and hand over another $10 million.

Apparently you've never heard of David Booth, Dana Anderson, or Forrest Hoglund.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

Apparently you've never heard of David Booth.

the guy who killed abe Lincoln went to KU?! :runaway:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

Apparently you've never heard of David Booth.

the guy who killed abe Lincoln went to KU?! :runaway:

Just another multi-billionaire KU alum who has donated millions to the basketball program.