Author Topic: Ready, Ames, Fire; (late) ISU ADV  (Read 2413 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ready, Ames, Fire; (late) ISU ADV
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »

oscar and the players talked for a long time about having the "best 1st half defense in the country". Its safe to say that mantra can go away. For 2 straight games K-State has been beaten badly in the first half, and this time ISU absolutely cut us up for 1.47 ppp. The Cats responded decent in the 2nd half and sort of made it a game, but they are doing too many things you can't afford on the road.

Notable; freshman doing freshman things (in a bad way). The Cats are learning growing pains of playing 3 freshman heavy minutes. Lots of forced things, especially on the offense end, and that leads to bad situations on defense.

That said, still plenty of basketball in front of the Cats with a big week ahead. Likely played our way out of a shot a conference title again, but that was an optimists dream. NCAA tournament is still very much in play.

#1cat

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:18:36 PM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ready, Ames, Fire; (late) ISU ADV
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I may be wrong but I think Isu was 16-26 on FGs and there was 34 poss not 31 in the first half.   Still though, giving up 46 pts on 34 poss for a 1st half is not going to get it done

It was encouraging to see us battle back from down 12 at half to tie it up, then after falling down 11, we made a charge to tie it one again.  Never got the lead and I never really felt like we were gonna win we did it tie it up. 

Love Foster and love him being aggressive, but down 3 late, but his spin move from 17 feet away makes me scratch my head.  Turnover there and then Shane forces up a 3pt shot on the next possession.   I want the ball in the hands of those 2 guys, but gotta play a little smarter IMO 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I may be wrong but I think Isu was 16-26 on FGs and there was 34 poss not 31 in the first half.

Yes,  I think I messed up. I'll fix it. Still poor defense.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
I dunno, maybe its my low BB IQ here, but it seems like ISU's game is pass it around and around until someone is open for 3 and our 1st half D was like stand around and watch that happen. Didn't seem like a good plan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
I dunno, maybe its my low BB IQ here, but it seems like ISU's game is pass it around and around until someone is open for 3 and our 1st half D was like stand around and watch that happen. Didn't seem like a good plan.

Several transition threes where we got caught in poor position to defend the arc or going under a ball screen. Bad mistakes, but correctable. It looks like the 2nd half that was corrected somewhat, but I'm only going by the numbers because I was unable to watch it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
Also the Gip roller coaster is disappointing.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »
If we're honest, the reason it was close is because ISU played like garbage for about 8 minutes. TOs and bad shots in bunches.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
I snuck down the front row of their bench and saw what hoiberg was drawing up on the board. it was just an all caps bold marker stroke of

"MAKE THE REFS eff KSTATE!!!!!!!!!1!"

he even drew the 1 instead of the ! so you could tell the difference

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »
If we're honest, the reason it was close is because ISU played like garbage for about 8 minutes. TOs and bad shots in bunches.

The opposite of this was also a big part of how ISU built their lead. IMO.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
ISU just bombed threes to build some dork lead

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
niang and Thomas were struggling coming into today and they were 7-8 from 3pt in 1st hf.   part of that was we gave them open looks and part was they were in the zone.

with the score 51-50 and our ball.... isu had 51pts in 48 poss and they were over 50% from 3.   isu was doing what they do and we were right there with them.   bad news is we had to make a run twice to get the game tied twice in 2nd hf, and they answered our runs like good teams do,

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
Had the sound off for the second half, why did ISU get to shoot FTs when Ejim got the T for mushing NuWill?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
Had the sound off for the second half, why did ISU get to shoot FTs when Ejim got the T for mushing NuWill?

Called a "regular" foul on willy.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »
Seems like ISU is also good at getting potential shooters room with off-ball movement towards the lane. That and dribble-drives.  I'm not X and O guy, but that coupled with KSU propensity to help (usually well) left the Clones with a lot of open looks.  You can't leave ISU with a lot of open looks.

This game is a lot like Texas, not in the means, but in the end.  Cats played decent in parts, great in others, but some really terrible stretches killed 'em. They played "just bad enough to lose."

Frustrating, but it's all relative. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »
BTW, I really like powercat posse's bb posts.

#1cat
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

Speaking of this... Did the officials call a foul on Will during live action? If not, how can they assess a foul after a video review? Technical foul, yes, but can you assess personal fouls after a video review?  That seems like a very Big12Refs-style moment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
Also the Gip roller coaster is disappointing.

Seemed pretty obvious the early game plan was for him to get some touches and get Niang in some foul trouble. He forced some shots from bad positions early and never recovered. They should have faced him up on the elbow a bit more.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »

Speaking of this... Did the officials call a foul on Will during live action? If not, how can they assess a foul after a video review? Technical foul, yes, but can you assess personal fouls after a video review?  That seems like a very Big12Refs-style moment.

And how many times before this call has there ever been a foul called when a guy is on the floor and another player comes in and grabs the ball to tie him up? I'll tell you.  NEVER.  So Ejim bangs into Nuwill on rebound, no call.  Takes out Westicles from behind with a clip that would be 15 yards, no call.  NuWill comes in for a tie-up while Ejim is rolling around on the floor and gets called for a "regular" foul? Big12Refs to the extreme.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
And how many times before this call has there ever been a foul called when a guy is on the floor and another player comes in and grabs the ball to tie him up? I'll tell you.  NEVER.

it happens a lot.  you jump on a guy on the floor who has possession of the ball, it's about 50:50 you get called.  kstate was lucky they called a technical on eijm and also lucky they didn't call one on iwu.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
Gip's been pretty consistent since the PR tourney. Problem yesterday was only seven shots. Need to get the ball to him more and he needs to make himself more available in the post. I can think of two straight times yesterday in the second half when the Cats turned the ball over trying to get it do him, the second by Shane and other by -- I think -- Foster.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »

No they didn't call a foul on the initial whistle and no you cannot asses a common foul on video review.  The foul and the technical were terrible. That was the second time this week I saw a crew break protocol, I wish I could remember the other.

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
No they didn't call a foul on the initial whistle and no you cannot asses a common foul on video review.  The foul and the technical were terrible. That was the second time this week I saw a crew break protocol, I wish I could remember the other.

Was it the double foul in the KU/OSU game?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:05 AM »

Was it the double foul in the KU/OSU game?

I don't think so :dunno: it was an incorrect rules interpretation