Author Topic: The drug dog thing on I-70  (Read 39449 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
The drug dog thing on I-70
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »
So obviously they put up the drug dogs signs and are looking for people to bail off the interstate on that little country road.  What then?  I mean you still need probable cause to pull someone over, right?  Pulling off at that exit doesn't, to my knowledge, constitute probable cause.  They might just not GAF maybe?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The drug dog thing on I-70
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
law enforcement also adheres to trim 3:16

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
law enforcement also adheres to trim 3:16

(self-application clause)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
They do pull people over if they pull off.  No idea how it works when they make it to court eventually.  Seems like a good lawyer could take care of that, but it could be similar to a DUI checkpoint I guess (also bullshit and I have no idea why it is legal).  I know a girl who lives over there and has been pulled over several times just trying to get home.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
link pls

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
i've only ever seen the signs that warn you drug dogs are ahead. never actually seen drug dogs. :dunno:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
link pls

Never seen it before?  Basically you're just west of Alma (heading east) and they put up these signs with flashing lights that say caution checkpoint ahead then a little while later it says caution drug dogs in use and way up ahead you can see the lights.  But you do have the opportunity to exit on Tallgrass Road and what do you know there's a hipo there to bust your ass if you do. 

Anyway I have some hunting access to some ground off that exit so next time I want to GoPro it up and see what happens. 

EDIT:  There's no actual checkpoint, they're baiting people into exiting to avoid a checkpoint.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
The cops usually aren't waiting at the bottom of the exit, they are down the road that the person would take to get around the checkpoint. They will follow the car until they find a reason to pull them over(never a problem), then they conduct a normal traffic stop. After running the driver's license and insurance they will issue at ticket if necessary and then conclude the stop by ending conversation and walking away from the vehicle. The cop will then return to the vehicle and ask if he can search the car.

By "ending" the stop and requesting permission to search the car the cop is said to have gained consent without [insert some legal standard about undue pressure]. A drug smuggler's lawyer doesn't have a chance against this argument in federal court.

In Nebraska they print those signs in spanish!  :surprised:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
I clicked on this expecting more of a Clark Griswold thread....  :sdeek:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »
In my personal experience, it is always best to tell a cop to just give you your rough ridin' ticket.  Warnings seem pretty much non existent anymore so the dance of will they/won't they is just a waste of time for you.  Especially if you know you did speed/do something against traffic laws. 

If a cop has to ask you something, the answer should always be "no".  They don't ask if they don't need to.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
The cops usually aren't waiting at the bottom of the exit, they are down the road that the person would take to get around the checkpoint. They will follow the car until they find a reason to pull them over(never a problem), then they conduct a normal traffic stop. After running the driver's license and insurance they will issue at ticket if necessary and then conclude the stop by ending conversation and walking away from the vehicle. The cop will then return to the vehicle and ask if he can search the car.

By "ending" the stop and requesting permission to search the car the cop is said to have gained consent without [insert some legal standard about undue pressure]. A drug smuggler's lawyer doesn't have a chance against this argument in federal court.

Most of the time the signs in WB county are in Spanish too.  My advice to not get pulled over on that stretch of I 70 is to be white and have Kansas plates on your car.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
The cops usually aren't waiting at the bottom of the exit, they are down the road that the person would take to get around the checkpoint.

This guy was about 200 yards south of the interstate parked on the country road (on the exit one would take to get around the checkpoint, Tallgrass Rd).

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
link pls

Never seen it before?  Basically you're just west of Alma (heading east) and they put up these signs with flashing lights that say caution checkpoint ahead then a little while later it says caution drug dogs in use and way up ahead you can see the lights.  But you do have the opportunity to exit on Tallgrass Road and what do you know there's a hipo there to bust your ass if you do. 

Anyway I have some hunting access to some ground off that exit so next time I want to GoPro it up and see what happens. 

EDIT:  There's no actual checkpoint, they're baiting people into exiting to avoid a checkpoint.

would there ever be a checkpoint? i have never been on an interstate highway and encountered a checkpoint.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
link pls

would there ever be a checkpoint? i have never been on an interstate highway and encountered a checkpoint.

I don't think so (me either).

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »

What if you say no?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
bubs nailed how it works. it's become more and more common as law enforcement has figured out that lots of not very smart people will give consent to have their vehicle searched.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
link pls

No. The Supreme Court has ruled them unconstitutional. DUI checkpoints are constitutional because they concern an issue of public safety.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94874

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
I rough ridin' hate the police

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
And yes, they have been known to camp out at the next exit. Friend of mine took the next exit like a dumbass, got pulled over for no reason. They asked to search the car, they had a pipe and weed but since they were 17 the cop gave them a speech, threw the crap in the field and told them to leave. This was 3-5 years ago.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »

There would be tons more potholes and shitty sidewalks without them, but otherwise, yeah.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
And yes, they have been known to camp out at the next exit. Friend of mine took the next exit like a dumbass, got pulled over for no reason. They asked to search the car, they had a pipe and weed but since they were 17 the cop gave them a speech, threw the crap in the field and told them to leave. This was 3-5 years ago.

Sounds like a cool ass cop!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »

There would be tons more potholes and shitty sidewalks without them, but otherwise, yeah.

Not sure that's true.  People would spend the money (to be taxed) that was otherwise used to pay the fines. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »

Not sure that's true.  People would spend the money (to be taxed) that was otherwise used to pay the fines.

Unless you live in a crime infested area, their primary function is rev generation.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »

What if you say no?
they can search anyway, but they'll have to prove probable cause in court before any of the evidence they find is admissible.  they know that most people will cave if a police officer asks them to search, and once you give them permission, they don't have to have prove probably cause.  I would think that they would be pretty hesitant to search a vehicle that they don't have permission to search unless they're pretty damn sure they can prove probably cause because I'm guessing district attorneys and superior officers get pretty pissed when they have to deal with illegal search and seizure cases. 
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
i have never ever seen a cop car anywhere near those signs.

I agree that it is plausible they are off the side roads looking for people to panic and bail off the interstate.