Author Topic: TCU  (Read 12235 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TCU
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
So, we play TCU tonight.  What's the tale of the tape _fan? 

By the numbers, it would appear TCU isn't very good at anything.  Looks like we're a much better defending and rebounding team.  Anderson, Fields, Parrish all look decent. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Re: TCU
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
Line is KSU -5.5. Bet the farm on the Cats.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
but KU last year!  :ohno:

:lol: even though I TSC, that was pretty damn funny!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
Anderson is very good, probably an all Big 12 player. Parrish is a solid freshman swing man, efficient scorer. Both can shoot 3s. Fields is a solid big man and will be a challenge for Gip and DJamer inside but  he has battled injuries this year. Shepherd is their next best big and a good rebounder. Their 4th threat is Ray, another rangy swing player, but not a shooter.

This Johnson team has sped up the pace considerably from last year, from 61.5 to 67.5 possessions. A below average offensive team (1.01 PPP) and shooting team (48.8% eFG), their best offense is getting the the FT line (48.6% FTR) and hitting them (73.5% FT%). Nearly 27% of their points come from the FT line which is Top 25 nationally. They are also a typical SLTH type that rarely tries to oboard (only 26.9% OR%). They shoot decent from 3 (34.6%), but only 28.6% of their FGAs are 3s which is below average.

Defensively they are okay (1.01 PPP) and force opponents to only shoot 46.2% eFG and 44.6% on 2PTs, however, they aren't a shot blocking team like OSU. They don't foul much (only 33.9% FTR against them) but otherwise are pretty average in the other defensive numbers.

This year their best wins are Washington State and Tulsa (twice) and they won 2 Big 12 games last year (KU and OU). TCU is improved from last year, but this is still probably the worst team in the league (they'll fight it out with Tech) and unless we show up and sleep walk the Cats should win. If the Cats can defend Anderson, Fields, Parrish and Ray they should be able to score efficient enough to win. After the way the team has played the past month, even with this as the first road game, this would be a bad loss and one this team can't afford if they really want to content for the NCAAs. I think the Cat defense turns this into a grinder and K-State finds a way to win on the road.

Cats 66 - TCU 59

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
Will take

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
oscar mentioned in his postgame show on Saturday that after the GW game last week he wrote the first 3 B12 games on the board - OSU, @TCU, and @KU. He asked the team which game they thought was the most important of the 3. Some said OSU because it was next and some said KU because it was the rivalry game. oscar then circled the TCU game, noting that he was confident that they would be "up" for the other two since they were against top teams, but worried that TCU would be a trap game.

Games like tonight are games when guys like Shane, Gip, and Will ( :crossfingers:) need to show some leadership and make sure everyone is focused. Hopefully Marcus is motivated since this is somewhat of a homecoming game for him. Same goes for Gip.

Cats by 11.

:bball:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »
5 Things to watch for

1. TCU plays a ton of zone, I expect us to totally hammer them on the boards.

2. Kyle Anderson is the only player on their team with a positive Assist to TO rate (36.6 Ar / 20.0 TOr), If Jevon can take him out of the game their offense should become very ugly.

4. Westicles and Spradling will most likely draw Brandon Parrish mach up he is a very good shooter but won't put the ball on the deck that often.  His eFG% is 55.6 and he is drilling 42.9% of his threes. We have been very effective defending this type of player.

5. The only thing scary about this game is that it is our first true road game.   

65 points will win this game for the Cats. Anderson and Parrish are the only players offensively worth a crap for TCU, they should have a lot of trouble scoring the ball tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
oscar mentioned in his postgame show on Saturday that after the GW game last week he wrote the first 3 B12 games on the board - OSU, @TCU, and @KU. He asked the team which game they thought was the most important of the 3. Some said OSU because it was next and some said KU because it was the rivalry game. oscar then circled the TCU game, noting that he was confident that they would be "up" for the other two since they were against top teams, but worried that TCU would be a trap game.

Games like tonight are games when guys like Shane, Gip, and Will ( :crossfingers:) need to show some leadership and make sure everyone is focused. Hopefully Marcus is motivated since this is somewhat of a homecoming game for him. Same goes for Gip.

Cats by 11.

:lol:

chalk talk with oscar sounds amazing. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:23:07 PM by michigancat »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

Cats by 11.

chalk with oscar sounds amazing. :lol:

I imagine his voice getting extra, extra high pitched when he said "trap!"

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
5 Things to watch for

2. Kyle Anderson is the only player on their team with a positive Assist to TO rate (36.6 Ar / 20.0 TOr), If Jevon can take him out of the game their offense should become very ugly.

4. Westicles and Spradling will most likely draw Brandon Parrish mach up he is a very good shooter but won't put the ball on the deck that often.  His eFG% is 55.6 and he is drilling 42.9% of his threes. We have been very effective defending this type of player.

65 points will win this game for the Cats. Anderson and Parrish are the only players offensively worth a crap for TCU, they should have a lot of trouble scoring the ball tonight.

The thing that scares me is your first point.  They play a lot of zone.  we haven't shown the ability to shoot well from the perimeter. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
5 Things to watch for

The thing that scares me is your first point.  They play a lot of zone.  we haven't shown the ability to shoot well from the perimeter. 

come on dude. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »

come on dude.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I am excited to see what Jevon does against a team that plays zone primarily.  Hope shane, foster, and will are ready for that kickout.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »

Cats by 11.

chalk with oscar sounds amazing. :lol:

I imagine his voice getting extra, extra high pitched when he said "trap!"

:lol: and everybody looks at Will like he just interrupted Coach's speech but nope he was just sitting there quietly

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »

5 Things to watch for

Shane is due.  If we get GW Shane, then we will smoke 'em from 3.  Then, Shane can disappear for KU, naturally.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Will and Shane will both disappear for KU.  That's what low confidence guys do against KU.  That is why Omari will light them up for 19 or something..

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
Will and Shane will both disappear for KU.  That's what low confidence guys do against KU.  That is why Omari will light them up for 19 or something..
Shane is dependent on his shooting, Will is a little bitch.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
Their pud arena is round tho!
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Shane is dependent on his shooting, Will is a little bitch.

Somewhat, but sometimes he is very hesitant to take shots at all, even at the beginning of games. 

Offline ksutrumpet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
I was at the @TCU game last year and their arena is a effing ghost town. This is a joke of a road game and we will take care of business. The only problem we will have tonight is the TCU arena is not big enough to hold our huge nuts.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
Looks like a letdown game if I've ever seen one.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
I am confident that jevon will approach this game as if he had just popped out of an egg and his enthusiasm and childlike wonder will give this team all the energy it needs to have a good time in an empty arena.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
I am confident that jevon will approach this game as if he had just popped out of an egg and his enthusiasm and childlike wonder will give this team all the energy it needs to have a good time in an empty arena.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »
I hope this is the game Jevon finds offensive rhythm, he has shown how talented he is but hasn't been efficient in the offense yet. I still think Jevon is the best point guard we have landed in modern basketball.  :gocho:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
The only problem we will have tonight is the TCU arena is not big enough to hold our huge nuts.

lol