Author Topic: Tamales  (Read 8355 times)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tamales
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
this is where sys or someone else steps in and tells us how it's actually a traditional dish

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2014, 09:58:38 AM »
this is where sys or someone else steps in and tells us how it's actually a traditional dish

I know they make Chiles en Nogada which are stuffed with raisins, so it's not surprising.

http://mexicofoodandmore.com/meat/chiles-en-nogada-stuffed-poblano-peppers-in-nut-sauce.html

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
Guys, I have a friend who used to eat cereal with soda rather than milk.  Doesn't mean it is an american tradition or any good. 

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
just had a "sweet" tamale. not really a fan. had like rasins instead of meat.

what kind of monster does this

real certified mexican (american)

He was/is trolling you very hard.  Sounds absolutely disgusting.
Nope. Can verify (and I'm a bona fide Mexican-American) that this is a real thing. Sweet tamales have never been my favorite, but they were a staple of our family Christmas/New Year's gatherings. They were always the last ones left though. While not as disgusting as fruit cake, they are similar in desirability in my book.

Also, no need to have to use a specific tamal steamer - a regular old pot with a veggie steamer or similar way to elevate the tamales will work too. As Pete mentioned, the process is tedious and lengthy only because of the multi-step preparation required. The more hands in assembling the tamales the better - it's a family bonding experience.

My family only goes with corn husk wrappers (we're Northerners), but others use the banana/plantain leaf. Also, other cultures (within Mexico and the Caribbean/Central America) use other things in their masa, and stuffing too: root vegetables (Puerto Rico) for masa, rice in the masa (Central America), olives (watch your molars and fillings if they aren't pitted!) in the filling, etc..

Enjoy!
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
just had a "sweet" tamale. not really a fan. had like rasins instead of meat.

what kind of monster does this

real certified mexican (american)

He was/is trolling you very hard.  Sounds absolutely disgusting.
Nope. Can verify (and I'm a bona fide Mexican-American) that this is a real thing. Sweet tamales have never been my favorite, but they were a staple of our family Christmas/New Year's gatherings. They were always the last ones left though. While not as disgusting as fruit cake, they are similar in desirability in my book.

Also, no need to have to use a specific tamal steamer - a regular old pot with a veggie steamer or similar way to elevate the tamales will work too. As Pete mentioned, the process is tedious and lengthy only because of the multi-step preparation required. The more hands in assembling the tamales the better - it's a family bonding experience.

My family only goes with corn husk wrappers (we're Northerners), but others use the banana/plantain leaf. Also, other cultures (within Mexico and the Caribbean/Central America) use other things in their masa, and stuffing too: root vegetables (Puerto Rico) for masa, rice in the masa (Central America), olives (watch your molars and fillings if they aren't pitted!) in the filling, etc..

Enjoy!
This is how an ex-girlfriend of mine's grandmother made hers. They were incredible. Is that a Sonoran thing?

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »
yeah, my tamale guy makes the sweet w/raisins as well. puts lots of cinnamon in the mesa.. they are okay.

(sorry cf3, my bad bud. i guess i just liked having "my" thing ya know bud. we have so many "our" things already, that, well, i don't know bud.. sometimes i just need my tamale time i guess."
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
yeah, my tamale guy makes the sweet w/raisins as well. puts lots of cinnamon in the mesa.. they are okay.

(sorry cf3, my bad bud. i guess i just liked having "my" thing ya know bud. we have so many "our" things already, that, well, i don't know bud.. sometimes i just need my tamale time i guess."

Forgiven.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

assuming you mean masa. I used to work for a masa company  :Rusty:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
sweet tamales are traditional, and yes, they suck.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »

assuming you mean masa. I used to work for a masa company  :Rusty:

:D
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
olives (watch your molars and fillings if they aren't pitted!) in the filling
This is how an ex-girlfriend of mine's grandmother made hers. They were incredible. Is that a Sonoran thing?
It's a Spanish/Mediterranean thing. My wife's Puerto Rican and they put olives in damn-near everything. Argentinians put olives in their empanadas.

If your ex-girlfriend's grandma is from Sonora, that's the first incident of olives in Mexican tamales I've heard of, but perhaps it's more prevalent than I thought? Was that in a pork tamal?

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
olives (watch your molars and fillings if they aren't pitted!) in the filling
It's a Spanish/Mediterranean thing. My wife's Puerto Rican and they put olives in damn-near everything. Argentinians put olives in their empanadas.

If your ex-girlfriend's grandma is from Sonora, that's the first incident of olives in Mexican tamales I've heard of, but perhaps it's more prevalent than I thought? Was that in a pork tamal?
Can't remember what meat (if any) was used. Years ago.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
provided by my carpenter Nacho.   Pretty tasty.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
wtf you're eating the corn husk?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
looks like nacho forgot the masa.  :Yuck:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
mikey, you will get stopped up if you dont stop eating the husks

Offline gato montes

• Fan
  • Winner of the 2011 "Where is 'Clams" Contest
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
kinda awesome how they're more or less traditional christmas fare in the southwest.  'tis the season!

It is awesome. I spent New Years Eve day making a about 200 with friends (including the masa). We toasted at midnight then chowed down on tamales. You should try with green chile in your meat mixture (hatch, sandia, big jim's, etc. not poblanos). Oh and a touch of cumin in the masa mix.

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
i don't buy into the hype that they take a long time to make.  seems pretty pud.

Well, the meat has to be done in advance, and you know how long a pork shoulder takes.  I baked a small one for 4 hours at 275, and did 5 pounds of chicken breasts for the same amount of time in a large crock pot.  I mixed the pork and chicken together after I pulled them.

Then the construction of 50 tamales takes the better part of an hour with two people, less if you have more people.

Then the steaming takes 2-3 hours at least.

Did you see his recipe?

Quote from: sheron collins
"Ain't no meats!"

Where's the beef, clams?

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
You should try with green chile in your meat mixture (hatch, sandia, big jim's, etc. not poblanos). Oh and a touch of cumin in the masa mix.
Can confirm that this is delicious. Green chile and pork (chicken too, but I like pork more!) LOVE each other and bring out each other's flavors beautifully. Green chile + pork =  :lick:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »
i don't buy into the hype that they take a long time to make.  seems pretty pud.

Well, the meat has to be done in advance, and you know how long a pork shoulder takes.  I baked a small one for 4 hours at 275, and did 5 pounds of chicken breasts for the same amount of time in a large crock pot.  I mixed the pork and chicken together after I pulled them.

Then the construction of 50 tamales takes the better part of an hour with two people, less if you have more people.

Then the steaming takes 2-3 hours at least.

Did you see his recipe?

Quote from: sheron collins
"Ain't no meats!"

Where's the beef, clams?

they're really good.  if you're even in santa monica or downtown LA, go in and order some.  if they aren't great, then you ain't a tamale lover son

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
You should try with green chile in your meat mixture (hatch, sandia, big jim's, etc. not poblanos). Oh and a touch of cumin in the masa mix.
Can confirm that this is delicious. Green chile and pork (chicken too, but I like pork more!) LOVE each other and bring out each other's flavors beautifully. Green chile + pork =  :lick:

yeah when I lived in Cali we would always go to some dude in Merced that made the dankest green chili/pork tamales. My God I would fly out there again just to eat those.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tamales
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
I do NOT appreciate the Venezuelan olive tamales that ones served in Maracaibo during the holidays.  I did however scarf down arepas at every oppy.