Author Topic: rule changes  (Read 2874 times)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
rule changes
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »
our favorite analyst john gasaway:  http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1005

3. Reduce the number of timeouts.
Here's a tip. If the coaches in your sport can call timeout, send their players into action, see what defense the opponent is using, and then call another timeout before anything has even happened, your sport gives its coaches too many timeouts. Let's make a start here by taking away one timeout per game from each team. The earth will continue to spin, I promise, and TV networks fretting about lost commercial time can be accommodated via slightly extended breaks in the action during the remaining timeouts. But under the current system the last two minutes of a semi-close game can be agonizing to watch, what with all the fouls and timeouts. I can resign myself to the fouls, but the timeouts are within our easy amendment. (Related: Networks please vary the outro music going to commercial in the last minutes. Hearing the same two bars again and again every 30 seconds is maddening.)

4. Prohibit calling timeout when possession of the ball is in question.
A held ball is actually a held ball, even if a player from one of the teams is forming a "T" with his hands.

i would be in favor of not allowing timeouts anytime the ball is in play.  or less constrictive method would be no timeouts when a player is under a '5-count'.

coaches should also not be allowed to call timeout unless the ball is not in play

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: rule changes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
our favorite analyst john gasaway:  http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1005

Here's a tip. If the coaches in your sport can call timeout, send their players into action, see what defense the opponent is using, and then call another timeout before anything has even happened, your sport gives its coaches too many timeouts. Let's make a start here by taking away one timeout per game from each team. The earth will continue to spin, I promise, and TV networks fretting about lost commercial time can be accommodated via slightly extended breaks in the action during the remaining timeouts. But under the current system the last two minutes of a semi-close game can be agonizing to watch, what with all the fouls and timeouts. I can resign myself to the fouls, but the timeouts are within our easy amendment. (Related: Networks please vary the outro music going to commercial in the last minutes. Hearing the same two bars again and again every 30 seconds is maddening.)

A held ball is actually a held ball, even if a player from one of the teams is forming a "T" with his hands.

i would be in favor of not allowing timeouts anytime the ball is in play.  or less constrictive method would be no timeouts when a player is under a '5-count'.

coaches should also not be allowed to call timeout unless the ball is not in play

The 5-count idea is the worst idea.    A lot of TO's are called by the guard when just crossing the half court line.  The defender would simply have to be waiting for him, and it would prohibit it from being called.  Would basically end the ability to get a side inbounds play after a TO.

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
The 5-count idea is the worst idea.    A lot of TO's are called by the guard when just crossing the half court line.  The defender would simply have to be waiting for him, and it would prohibit it from being called.  Would basically end the ability to get a side inbounds play after a TO.

I think he's referring to the 5-second in-bounds count.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »

That would suck too.  Maybe even more.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »

why is this a bad thing?  why should good defense be punishable by a guy with the ball having no option but to puss out and call a timeout?

and if the offense guy wants to call a timeout do it before you cross half court.  but if a guy is being trapped he shouldn't be bailed out w/o making a play.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:25:27 AM by mcmwcat »

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

no.  that's gay.  a timeout should be able to be called by anyone when the ball isn't in play

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
The "held ball" timeouts are many times jokes . . . hey, I'll pile over the guy, grab partial control of the ball, manage to form a T with my forearms and scream time out . . . meanwhile 3 other guys have the ball in their hands as well, 2 of which are on the other team. 

Come on.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »

why is this a bad thing?  why should good defense be punishable by a guy with the ball having no option but to puss out and call a timeout?

and if the offense guy wants to call a timeout do it before you cross half court.  but if a guy is being trapped he shouldn't be bailed out w/o making a play.

You aren't talking about just good D.  Literally any D that could get with in 5' of the ball would start the 5 sec count.  You would be talking about forcing a player to make an offensive move to clear the D to be able to call a TO.  

Taking a TO away would be a better solution, imo.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:35:39 AM »
I thought Butler should have been called for 5 seconds late in the game when one of their guards dribbled around for 30 seconds before hitting a layup thanks to a Lomers-esque moving screen at the block.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
The "held ball" timeouts are many times jokes . . . hey, I'll pile over the guy, grab partial control of the ball, manage to form a T with my forearms and scream time out . . . meanwhile 3 other guys have the ball in their hands as well, 2 of which are on the other team. 

Come on.

I am on board with stopping this.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
I thought Butler should have been called for 5 seconds late in the game when one of their guards dribbled around for 30 seconds before hitting a layup thanks to a Lomers-esque moving screen at the block.

Yes!  I let that ref know it through the TV as well.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »

Yes!  I let that ref know it through the TV as well.

:cheers:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
Tired of the clear out by post guys down low while their guards drive

Also tired of the big guys walking in front of their guard bringing the ball up.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »

Also tired of the big guys walking in front of their guard bringing the ball up.

Easy there...

Starting to sound like Tannouji(however that is spelled).

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »

Yeah, a moving screen could have been called about a dozen times for that, but unfortunately for us, that's rarely called when masked as a "post up." Which is, of course, bull in that context...a moving screen is still a moving screen even if you lead with your ass.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

You aren't talking about just good D.  Literally any D that could get with in 5' of the ball would start the 5 sec count.  You would be talking about forcing a player to make an offensive move to clear the D to be able to call a TO.  

yes!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

yes!
:facepalm:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
If seeds greater than 4 make it to the Elite Eight, they automatically lose.  Cinderellas are only cute for so long.  Call it the "Midnight Rule." 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »

yes!

why do you believe that good defense should be rewarded with an extra possession for the offense and a 3 minute break in play?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »

yes!

why do you believe that good defense should be rewarded with an extra possession for the offense and a 3 minute break in play?

I don't see an extra possession for the O.  I see the use of a predetermined amount of TO's to adjust game plan. 

If the 3 min break in play is the issue, take a time out away, or make it a 30sec TO.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »

yes!

I don't see an extra possession for the O.  I see the use of a predetermined amount of TO's to adjust game plan. 

If the 3 min break in play is the issue, take a time out away, or make it a 30sec TO.

if someone is about to turn the ball over and the only way they get out of it is to go talk to daddy on the sideline then it's an turnover averted and an extra possession gained.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
I think it's obnoxious when a player isn't going to get to half-court before 10 secs are up, so they call a timeout, and the 10 secs start over when the game resumes. It should be like the shot clock, and start from whenever the TO was called.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »

yes!

if someone is about to turn the ball over and the only way they get out of it is to go talk to daddy on the sideline then it's an turnover averted and an extra possession gained.

Again, I see the use of a predetermined amount of TO's to adjust game plan. 

I just don't see what the issue is.  

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »

You aren't talking about just good D.  Literally any D that could get with in 5' of the ball would start the 5 sec count.  You would be talking about forcing a player to make an offensive move to clear the D to be able to call a TO. 

yes!

The NCAA, CBS, ESPN, FSN, et al are laughing their asses off at you right now.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
Def. Way too many time-outs. Especially with TV to's thrown in.  Probably should reduce number of timeouts to 3(60 second) a half. 
Also, I don't think coaches should be able to call a timeout from the sideline, only players should be allowed to call the timeout.  Players should be able to call timeout when falling out of bounds.

Jump Ball should result in a jump ball.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.