Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 653690 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10400 on: November 27, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
Soccer blows. It's a third world sport for people who lack the requisite skill to play field hockey and jaialai, or are too lazy/stupid to play real drunk sports (eg Golf). I would imagine your usual magic the gathering officianado is also a huge mls kc wiz fanboy. It's fine as a sport for toddlers, but nobody should play it after they're capable of playing organized tee ball.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10401 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »
i think mls will be ok, but that game was painfully low quality...some had to do with the turf, which can be fixed, but man, hope noone was watching their first soccer game...

abolish 2 leg series in the playoffs. problem solved

what problem would that solve?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: November 28, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
i think mls will be ok, but that game was painfully low quality...some had to do with the turf, which can be fixed, but man, hope noone was watching their first soccer game...

wasn't it obvious skc was sandbagging the f out of the game and didn't care to win?  The tie is what they were playing for.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: November 28, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »

it would solve 2 week layoffs between games in what they've called a playoff

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: November 28, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »

it would solve 2 week layoffs between games in what they've called a playoff

the 2 week layoff was for the international break. it would be there regardless if the conf finals were a 1 or 2-game series.

the only way to get rid of the 2 week layoff would be to just shorten the regular season

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: November 28, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »

wasn't it obvious skc was sandbagging the f out of the game and didn't care to win?  The tie is what they were playing for.

well this is a terrible take. sporting didn't play well. lots of giveaways and lazy fouls. do you honestly think peter vermes has a "play for the tie" bone in his body?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: November 28, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
Maybe not having a league that lasts 10 months, having an understandable playoff, and not having random tournaments in season could help the casual fan follow it better.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: November 28, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »
none of that has anything to do with why sunday's game sucked. it sucked because sporting played poorly and the "casual fan" doesn't like a 0-0 final score.

what's not to understand about the playoffs?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
The scoring and why and the hell do they play 2 games? Play 1 game and have it at the higher seeds home. I turned it to the game on Sunday thinking their would be some buzz and I got zero goosebumps. No sense of urgency. Twitter wasn't even that interesting during the game. It's the playoffs, I usually freak out when my teams are playing in the postseason. It just seemed tame. I'm sure tomorrow will be crazy tho.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »
MLS issues are improving the quality of play, improving visibility, and avoiding over-expansion (detriment to quality of play).

2 game playoffs with a 1 game final is pretty standard in all of soccer.  No sports league is ever going to consider contracting their playoffs.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10410 on: November 28, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »
The only thing I don't like about the two game playoffs is away game goals counting for more than home game goals. A 0-0 tie and a 1-1 tie (2-2, etc) should not determine a winner.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: November 28, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
it's not that they "count more". away goals are just a tiebreaker in the case of a tie.

i love that away goals are a tiebreaker. also it works fine for the rest of the world  :dunno:

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
The playoffs are so understandable. And the 8 month season with tournaments sprinkled in throughout actually whips ass. Don't give up, WackyCat.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: November 28, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
why the hell do they play 2 games?

it theoretically gives the better team an advantage. since goals are so hard to come by in soccer, the better team could easily lose 1 game on a fluke penalty or whatever. with 2 games, the better team should be able to come out ahead over 180+ minutes of play.*

*in a small sample size (3 seasons), this has not been the case in MLS, with the worse-seeded team advancing like 70% of the time. this should swing towards the better-seeded teams over time.

I turned it to the game on Sunday thinking their would be some buzz and I got zero goosebumps. No sense of urgency. Twitter wasn't even that interesting during the game. It's the playoffs, I usually freak out when my teams are playing in the postseason. It just seemed tame. I'm sure tomorrow will be crazy tho.

it was a pretty raucous crowd, i thought. sporting's level of play was pretty bad, but again, that's why there are two games! so the better team has a chance to assert its dominance. i can assure you sporting will play with their hair on fire tomorrow night.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: November 28, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
i do feel bad for NYRB, i mean, they beat atlanta twice in the reg season (outscoring them 5-1), and finished at the top of the standings. then to go into ATL and lose 3-0 in the first leg....that's rough.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: November 28, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
it's not that they "count more". away goals are just a tiebreaker in the case of a tie.

i love that away goals are a tiebreaker. also it works fine for the rest of the world  :dunno:

soccer fans need to stop with the "it works fine the rest of the world" crap.  first of all, that isn't much of a standard to uphold.  we are different from the rest of the world.

the international break sucks and kills momentum and interest of the casual fan.  that's the point we are discussing. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: November 28, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »

the international break sucks and kills momentum and interest of the casual fan.  that's the point we are discussing.

agreed. it has nothing to do with a 1-game vs a 2-game series tho. MLS should shorten the season so that MLS cup ends before the break.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

soccer fans need to stop with the "it works fine the rest of the world" crap.  first of all, that isn't much of a standard to uphold.  we are different from the rest of the world.

what specifically is un-American about having a tiebreaker?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: November 28, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »

Dude I usually like your takes, but you're dead wrong here. Look at the scenario above, 0-0 first leg and a 1-1 second leg means Portland goes through is a great example of how that away goal means/counts for more.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: November 28, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
Good luck tomorrow night Soccer Cats. I hope the guy with the bleach blond hair (mocat knows who I mean) scores all the points for KC. He's my fav player.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
I did some googling. Turns out tomorrow's game is on way too late at night.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
Would the board "get it" if it was a best of 3 series?  Every playoff system has some variation of home and away it seems, save the NFL.

And Mo, not to belabor the point about SKC not playing for a win, but it took till like the 60th minute before Zusi was allowed to make runs forward (in fairness the back line was under siege a good bit).  Our sub was in the 92nd minute.  And while Croizet has shown some good attacking chops of late, he been more "productive" IMO holding and defending more, see his replacement for Sinovic as an example.  If we were truly playing for the win why didn't Gerso or Nemeth see the field?  (wasn't Rubio suspended for yellows? I know he wasn't on the sub list)

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: November 28, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
yeah away goals clearly count more, not sure how you can argue they don't.

banking on playing well at home when a tie (not scoreless) will send you home seems like a bad strategy, we sat back way too much in leg 1.

hopefully come out tomorrow and put one up early.  also hope i can find someone that wants to go to the game, i have a lot of fake sugar dick friends when it comes to soccer.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: November 28, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
i will be in the cauldron

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
yeah away goals clearly count more, not sure how you can argue they don't.

we're splitting hairs here. away goals only count more if you end up with a tie after 2 games. if you lose the aggregate by 1 (or any number of goals), away goals are not a factor.
but yes if you are tied after 180, away goals would be the tiebreaker.