Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141437 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #900 on: December 14, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
Be safe. I love running but quite thankful I train with a hrm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 16, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
Be safe. I love running but quite thankful I train with a hrm.

Wait, this was all we got??? What happened? :confused:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #902 on: December 16, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »
Forgot to update.

Had trouble controlling my hr during a short run on Saturday. Had some light chest pain the rest of the day. Attributed it to some heart burn leftovers from earlier in the week.

Short run again on Sunday morning. Had to walk downhill to stay in low zone. I'm usually running fast on these downhill sections.

Went on to church and felt winded walking from the parking lot. Started talking to a friend about his heart attack a few years ago. Decided I need to get checked.

Spent the night in heart and lung center. Nothing detected... Stress test, echo cardiogram, EKG, CAT scan. All blood work perfect.

Decided to send me home around 5pm on Monday. As I was waiting for discharge papers, my hr spiked as I bent down to pickup something and stood up. Nurse came running into the room... Freaked out. Apparently hr spikes are a bad thing.

So now I'm wearing a continuous hr monitor for the next month. I'm supposed to keep doing normal daily activities. It's alerted twice since I left the hospital. Both times were after I'd been sitting for a while. Hopefully, we'll have a solid answer in January. Preliminary diagnosis is PSVT. Usually solved with a pill - calcium blocker or beta blocker.

If I didn't use a hr monitor, I'd never know I had a problem until it was a big problem.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 16, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
yikes. best of luck, IPA.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 16, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
I got a HRM a few months ago and it seems like just normal effort running produces a higher HR than what most sites consider normal....but it always comes right down to normal and my resting HR is low for my age....I didn't think much of it...now I'm freaked a bit!

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:50 PM »
Positive vibes, IPA. I had to wear a Halter (sp) heart monitor in high school. Found out I had some infrequent but severe palpitations. Caused a 3 year delay in my military enlistment!

Hope all is well, buddy.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 16, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
Man, hope everything turns out okay.  I got an HRM with my watch but never use it... rethinking that now.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #907 on: December 17, 2015, 05:26:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. I've talked to a couple of friends that have the same condition. Should be manageable with drugs. One of them completed three ironman events while on the drug.

If you are interested in heart rate training, here are some links.

Five part series... http://sock-doc.com/aerobic-vs-anaerobic-exercise/

Heart rate zones explained... http://sock-doc.com/anaerobic-endurance-conditioning/

Steve Gangemi is a fantastic resource. Great injury prevention and recovery stuff too.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 17, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
My dad has a form of SVT. The bending over thing that you described is a tell-tale sign. Its really not a huge deal but it can be serious if you have a blood clot (which is serious anyway). Could cause the clot to go the brain and cause a stroke.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #909 on: December 17, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
My dad has a form of SVT. The bending over thing that you described is a tell-tale sign. Its really not a huge deal but it can be serious if you have a blood clot (which is serious anyway). Could cause the clot to go the brain and cause a stroke.
Ya. As I learn more, I'm not so worried. It's more of a concern if not addressed. As you noted, it can lead to stroke or heart attack down the road if untreated. Still might be something else happening though. I definitely had some chest pains for a couple of days. We'll see.  I'm thankful I train with the hrm.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:39:32 PM by IPA4Me »

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
Hey guys that  :love: running and eating whatever you want and sleeping really well,

On Friday I'm doing a VO2Max/Lactate Threshold test at the nearby university.  Say some prayers, as I'm not sure it's wise for anyone my age to max out their heart.  I mean, I'm signing something that says I may die and stuff.

Also, will I puke? Place your bets now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 13, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »
agreed on how great running is.  though I certainly don't accrue enough mileage per week to eat whatever I want.

what does that test entail?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 13, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
agreed on how great running is.  though I certainly don't accrue enough mileage per week to eat whatever I want.

I don't know how much I love running, but I do really like how my body feels after a run.  I've had to miss the last three days at the gym and probably tomorrow as well.  Looking forward to Friday and the weekend to make up for it. 

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 14, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »

They stick you on a treadmill with a breathing mask/apparatus to measure O2 intake (think really uncomfortable feeling) and then increase the pace and incline of the treadmill every few minutes until you cry uncle.

It's to determine your max HR and the different HR-based training zones at which you should be training.  Mainly to determine the lactate threshold HR, the HR at which you stop burning fat and start burning sugars. You can do all that with the 220-your age formula, but not if you're really serious about it.

And the eating whatever you want thing is a bit of hyperbole.  But relative to someone that doesn't run, wow.  On a long run day I might have to eat nearly 2 days worth of food to not lose weight. It's a burden really.
+ Attachments and other options

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 14, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
 crossed over 700 total miles since I started running in November 2013 :love:

had some on-again/off-again periods though. probably could be at 1,000 right now if I'd been better :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 14, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
On a long run day I might have to eat nearly 2 days worth of food to not lose weight. It's a burden really.

oh eff you

;)

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
On a long run day I might have to eat nearly 2 days worth of food to not lose weight. It's a burden really.

oh eff you

;)
I'm with 'tater on this one.  :-)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 19, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
For my fellow runners. I'm starting to average 30 miles a week now and this has been bothering me lately.

I have an embarrassing question. As I extend my runs in training for the Fifth Third Riverbank Run 25k, I'm having increasing issues with nipple chafing. As a guy, I barely notice them, until I get back from an hour or so of running, and I end up with startling amounts of pain. I thought I had the problem handled when I switched from cotton T-shirts to tech shirts, but I had one of those on on Sunday and ended up with severe chafing. How do I avoid this problem, and how do I treat it when it happens? Thanks! --Jeff
Hi, Jeff.

ADVERTISEMENT

YOU MIGHT LIKE

10 Celebs Who Lost Their Hot Bodies
Buzz-Hut

How to Prevent & Treat Chafing
Runner's World

10 Shocking Facts about Fifty Shades of Grey
Interesticle

The Best Undies for Running
Runner's World

9 Popular Exercises That Destroy Your Joints
FitHog

How Can I Prevent Bloody Nipples?
Runner's World
Recommended by
DAILY NEWSLETTER

Email address
 SUBMIT
You may unsubscribe at any time.
Your Privacy Rights | About Us
I'm glad you asked this question, because I can guarantee you're not the only one with this problem...In fact, it happens so frequently that a business-smart runner created a product just for this issue, rightly called Nip Guards. From what I hear, they work like a charm. In terms of treating the chafing after the damage is done, apply a healing ointment and cover with adhesive bandages for comfort and protection.

Thankfully, this is one area girls don't have to worry about in terms of chafing, which is why I pulled in the ranks of many of my seasoned male running friends (and a few wives) who've survived nipple chafe to talk about it. Here is what they advise:

From one guy to another, use Bodyglide on your nipples. Really slather it on and you should be fine. [Posted by Charlie R.]
My husband and a bunch of my ultra friends use regular Band-Aids for prevention. [Posted by Kristy C.]
My mate uses Super Glue! Seriously, and it comes off without problems. Make sure it's dry before putting on your shirt. Also try a tighter fitted shirt. I switched to this for running and put a bit of lube on. I don't have any problems now. [Posted by Terry G.]
My husband puts about two coats of liquid bandage on his nips before heading out. He says it works pretty good and you don't see it under your shirts like you do the Nip Guards. [Posted by Mary Jo G.]
My husband uses the small round Walgreens Band-Aids. He swears by them and used them for a 40-miler without any problems. [Posted by Cindy D.]
I use Bodyglide in the crease areas and Nip Guards where they were designed for (your nips). I sweat a ton and they are the only thing that has successfully protected my nips. [Posted by Brad M.]
Ordinary unscented deodorant (I use gel). Works great, lasts a long time, it's cheap, and you smell good when you run. [Posted by John B.]
I have the same issue and have tried all kinds of Band-Aids, and some work better than others. I just ordered more Nip Guards even though they are expensive, because they have been the best solution. [Posted by Nonda T.]
Happy Trails...

Coach Jenny- Co-Author, Marathoning for Mortals and Running for Mortals

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 19, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
Sounds horrible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
Sounds horrible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's really the worse.

The Big Train

« Reply #920 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
30 miles a year sounds terrible, can't even imagine a week :sdeek:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 19, 2016, 10:30:15 AM »
I get in a groove. It helps that each treadmill has it's own TV and overlooks downtown too. The more that can distract me, the better.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 19, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
I get in a groove. It helps that each treadmill has it's own TV and overlooks downtown too. The more that can distract me, the better.
On long runs I have to have the distraction of tv as well.  But I am at a point where I only run any measureable distance when training for something.  Otherwise I settle in to one to three miles a day for the usual. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
On long runs I have to have the distraction of tv as well.  But I am at a point where I only run any measureable distance when training for something.  Otherwise I settle in to one to three miles a day for the usual.
I'm usually the same way, but I want to shred about 5-10 lbs real quick and then start hitting weights hard.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 19, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Waterproof tape or red shirts