Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141453 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #825 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:36 AM »
Grats WM, you've earned it!

:ksu:  :bball: :Woot: :katpak:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 04, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »
My wife did a half, but she complains about knees/hips all the time.  Is she going to need a walker in ten years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
My wife did a half, but she complains about knees/hips all the time.  Is she going to need a walker in ten years?

What's the REAL reason she's complaining about her hips?  :fatty:

Oh, and she probably needs better shoes.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 04, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

Mine did some of that the last time. It just took a short time off from running, and I have no problems now. She will be fine. Congrats to her on the run.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 04, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »

What's the REAL reason she's complaining about her hips?  :fatty:

Oh, and she probably needs better shoes.

she did the gribble running place and was fitted etc.  I told her she needs to take a month off but she's addicted.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
i don't know her training regimen but... 1) How quickly did she work up to the half?  Adding distance too fast often causes problems 2) don't run everyday, take a day or two off in between especially after longer runs, do some elliptical or bike on off days if she wants to continue cardio 3) strength training on off days, split squats and lunges and resistance band stuff all good for strengthening those areas separately so power is balanced 4) shorter stride, faster cadence

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 05, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »
Meh. Run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast. (After healing)

And trails.

Offline BringBackEcoKat

• Fan
  • The Lady of Winters
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 14, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
Just run around City Park.

I can do that during breaks but during school I have to avoid campus and city park
'Cause Cats

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 14, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
I wish downtown KC wasn't so damn hilly. 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 15, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
Just received this from Canary

I took this pic after I was done. These folks are just starting. It's windy and rainy and cold. Glad I'm done.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2015, 02:39:58 AM »
I ran 4.5 mikes today. Haven't gone that far in a long time. Felt good to be moving. Ankle still not real happy but more of a fatigue issue now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 21, 2015, 05:07:46 AM »
Good to hear @IPA4Me

Also guys - this thread needs more love.  It's like, perfect running weather. Cold enough to be cold when you start, but you can get through a short run with nary a drop of sweat.  I'm about to run in the same clothes I ran in yesterday.

Just kidding, they still smell bad.  I'll switch it up.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »
Guys today I jogged to my polling place and cast a vote in my state's election.  :Woot:

Also it is def perfect weather. And the huge park in New Orleans is covered in awesome lightup Christmas decorations. I should probably stop being so lazy.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 21, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
I've gotten totally out of shape. Steady decline since spring to almost no running the past four to six weeks. I ran 1.5-2 miles four times this week, which really sucked. Gonna try for a three mile "long" run tomorrow.  :) 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #839 on: November 21, 2015, 11:14:45 AM »
Twenty-five minutes on the treadmill after an hour of weight lifting. Planning on some trail miles this week in Gatlinburg. Hope the bears are sleeping. ;)

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 21, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »
Guys today I jogged to my polling place and cast a vote in my state's election.  :Woot:

Also it is def perfect weather. And the huge park in New Orleans is covered in awesome lightup Christmas decorations. I should probably stop being so lazy.

Man, I do miss jogging through City Park. Those Oaks are gorgeous. Did you see when they had the giant wind chimes?! Those things were like 8 feet long.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 21, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
I feel a brotherhood with other distance runners whether it be a two-mile jog or a marathon.  Congrats to everyone who runs in the winter.  I just completed the Las Vegas Rock n Roll last Sunday.  Last year after that race I stopped running until spring.  Not this year.  I'll be back out tomorrow.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 21, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
I feel a brotherhood with other distance runners whether it be a two-mile jog or a marathon.  Congrats to everyone who runs in the winter.  I just completed the Las Vegas Rock n Roll last Sunday.  Last year after that race I stopped running until spring.  Not this year.  I'll be back out tomorrow.

'grats 'nary, half or full?

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 21, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »

'grats 'nary, half or full?
I've never run a full. My best running experiences there have always been the half.  And at this point in life I'm too old to train for 26 miles. But I still enjoy how feel about an hour after I've run.
Thanks. 

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 21, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
Wait, how old is too old so I know when I should stop?

I've got a full capital M ary in 2 weeks. It's why I'm combative with @SteveDave.

I'm also running faster than I ever have. So I can't be close to that age when I stop training for marathons can I?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #845 on: November 21, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
You're never too old for the full. Keep rocking.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 21, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
I'm not going to stop. I quit running to improve time a long time ago.  Now it's the spirit of the run for me.  As long as I enjoy it I'll keep moving. Thanks. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #847 on: November 21, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »

Your peak will depend on when you got serious about your pace and distance. Someone that stated working with a running coach in their late 30s might not hit a bq marathon pace until they're 45. Unlike an elite collegian that may bq at 25. Just depends when you start with the real training.

I'm done with the full. Might not even do an organized half again. Time will tell. At this point I don't have the desire to build the base again.

The Big Train

« Reply #848 on: November 21, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
this is a serious question.  what makes the training worth it?  do you enjoy the training, the race, the finish, just being able to finish?  i did enough running for my whole life during sports, and hated ever second of it.  So i dont understand how it is even remotely enjoyable

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 22, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »

this is a serious question.  what makes the training worth it?  do you enjoy the training, the race, the finish, just being able to finish?  i did enough running for my whole life during sports, and hated ever second of it.  So i dont understand how it is even remotely enjoyable

Congrats TBT on being a member of the majority of the population.