Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142636 times)

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #775 on: September 27, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »
Followed up yesterday's trail run with a Charity 5K this afternoon. 28:06, pretty happy with my first "try" at this distance in over 7 months.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 27, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »
Congrats.  That is a great time.  I no longer run for time. I just run my own pace and work to finish each run.  Good luck with your next one.  My next run is the rock n roll in Las Vegas in November. 

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 09, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »
Headed out for a trail race this morning. Was supposed to be 5 1/2 miles but they cut it down to 4.6. We'll see how it goes. First actual "race" since surgery, and I'll be running with cDub-gf who has an ailing IT band.

This is already looking fun.  :D
How was it?

I'm liking trail running more and more. Ran the Riley Fall Festival 5k last weekend. It included a few obstacles which was cool. Going to do the Purple PAWS 5k tomorrow morning.
Question: Should I consider different shoes for trail running? I'm not a fast runner at all, so I don't know if it would make much difference.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #778 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
Unless you're running technical trails with big rocks or a lot of mud, don't sweat it. Trail shoes accommodate those conditions with a rock plate for protection and deeper treads.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »
I am trying to get ready for the Rock n Roll in Vegas in late November.  I just can't get my running schedule to work with my work/event schedule.  This may be the slowest and most painful race I have ever done.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »
The other day I sprinted about 100 yards to try to beat my daughter down a hill (she was on a bike) and later that night my hamstrings felt like they were going to explode.  Can't imagine what a 5K would do to me.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Question: Should I consider different shoes for trail running? I'm not a fast runner at all, so I don't know if it would make much difference.

As I live in a state that varies just a bit from yours, I finally decided it would benefit my body to invest in some actual trail shoes. I picked these up just a few days ago and have only run a few miles of trail in them so far, but it's a world of difference when you have to deal with serious slopes, mud, rocks, tree roots, etc.

I agree with IPA4Me, unless you're tackling some more serious "terrain" then stick with your more all purpose shoes. You certainly don't want to be running miles on the road in a trail shoe.

The Big Train

« Reply #782 on: October 09, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
I like those cdubs, replace that green with ksu cats purple and they are golden

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 09, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
I am trying to get ready for the Rock n Roll in Vegas in late November.  I just can't get my running schedule to work with my work/event schedule.  This may be the slowest and most painful race I have ever done.

If it is a fairly flat course, you may surprise yourself. I hadn't run a half in 18 months last April until I happened upon a free entry to Rock The Parkway. Even after very limited training, I got a 1:58 time. Soreness hung around for about 10 days though.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 09, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »

If it is a fairly flat course, you may surprise yourself. I hadn't run a half in 18 months last April until I happened upon a free entry to Rock The Parkway. Even after very limited training, I got a 1:58 time. Soreness hung around for about 10 days though.
It's completely flat.  Straight down the Vegas Strip. Great run: I go almost every year.  Always a great time with 40,000+ out running.  Lots of spectators line the strip as well. 

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 11, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
Well I did it. Finished my first half marathon. I guess I can put one of those douchey 13.1 oval stickers on my car now.

Finished under 1:55! The last 2 miles SUCKED.

I did get beat by a 12 year old girl. But based on time/pound, I totally kicked her ass.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
I like those cdubs, replace that green with ksu cats purple and they are golden

i agree  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 11, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
congrats, kazzudubs.  nice running (per capita)

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 11, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Well I did it. Finished my first half marathon. I guess I can put one of those douchey 13.1 oval stickers on my car now.

I did get beat by a 12 year old girl. But based on time/pound, I totally kicked her ass.
Congrats. The next one will be easier.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »

Speaking of which, I was looking at all the people who finished ahead of me, and I probably would have placed much higher on a time/pound basis. This is an under appreciated stat in the running world. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to move my 200 pounds 13.1 miles in under 2 hours.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 11, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »

Speaking of which, I was looking at all the people who finished ahead of me, and I probably would have placed much higher on a time/pound basis. This is an under appreciated stat in the running world. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to move my 200 pounds 13.1 miles in under 2 hours.

You actually use relatively little energy running that far, our bodies are extremely efficient at moving.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 11, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »

You actually use relatively little energy running that far, our bodies are extremely efficient at moving.

In the vacuum of space, yes. Here on earth, no. My running app says I burned over 2000 calories running the race. And my body felt it. Despite eating a light breakfast just 3 hours earlier, I felt famished after finishing. And it's weird because exercise usually works as an appetite suppressant for me, but it's like my stomached was telling me "hey mr runner - you need to fuel up. Like now."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 12, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

I always thought those stickers were douchey too. But the Mrs. and I bought stickers at the packet pickup at our first half last spring. You're damn right I stuck them on our vehicles the day after our half. I have a much better appreciation for those stickers now that I've earned one.

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 12, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
Stickers are horrible from a prepper standpoint. You are letting your enemies know exactly how far you are capable of running.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 12, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »

Congrats! Who cares where you finished. You finished. Now improve. That's my stance on it.

There's an annual 5K/25K/50K trail race here that I've got my eye on for next year. 25K next year, maybe 50K the year after. Finishing will be enough!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »

I always thought those stickers were douchey too. But the Mrs. and I bought stickers at the packet pickup at our first half last spring. You're damn right I stuck them on our vehicles the day after our half. I have a much better appreciation for those stickers now that I've earned one.

I don't have a problem with the 26.2 stickers. I just think the 13.1s are a little embarrassing. I mean, the very name "half marathon" sort of acknowledges it's an inferior accomplishment. Hey, congrats on doing something half as hard. And I'm not knocking people who choose halfs over fulls - I'm just not sure it's really worthy of announcing in sticker form. Then again, I guess we're living in an age where every aspect of our lives merits a sticker announcement, from our last names (in gothic letters) to how many times we've procreated.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
 :D

Offline BringBackEcoKat

• Fan
  • The Lady of Winters
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 13, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I have a secret to admit.. I'm addicted to running. I love running on campus, but now all of the students are back and the last thing that I need is some foreign kid to run over me with his car. I don't know where to go to get my fix now.  :ohno:
'Cause Cats