Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141445 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
Way to go Cu!

Offline Hubbs

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 25, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
How many of you guys do soft tissue work on yourselves? Like foam rollers, lacrosse balls, or Orb balls?

Also, this tool will changes your life:

http://www.amazon.com/EDGE-Mobility-System-EDGEility-Tool/dp/B00BIKO6X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432568679&sr=8-1&keywords=soft+tissue+tool

Use it with cocoa butter or any other lubricating oil. I use it on my achilles tendon pretty regularly.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 25, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
Happy ending afterwards?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #678 on: May 25, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
How many of you guys do soft tissue work on yourselves? Like foam rollers, lacrosse balls, or Orb balls?

Also, this tool will changes your life:

http://www.amazon.com/EDGE-Mobility-System-EDGEility-Tool/dp/B00BIKO6X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432568679&sr=8-1&keywords=soft+tissue+tool

Use it with cocoa butter or any other lubricating oil. I use it on my achilles tendon pretty regularly.
Foam roller and trigger point ball. It's a must have combo for me. Also, yoga for flexibility and core strength.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 25, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »
Foam roller regularly but mostly just for IT band

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 26, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Let's just say I finished!
Ran the Prairie Fire Half in Wichita 3 weeks ago and did much better in that one.
This was my second ever Half, and I didn't run at all in between the two races. Foolish.
I will say that the Bill Half was waaaaaay more difficult than the Prairie Fire, IMO.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
Let's just say I finished! earned the coolest medal ever
Ran the Prairie Fire Half in Wichita 3 weeks ago and did much better in that one.
This was my second ever Half, and I didn't run at all in between the two races. Foolish.
I will say that the Bill Half was waaaaaay more difficult than the Prairie Fire, IMO.

FYP

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 26, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
TY.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
Those pics look great. SB is wishing hardcore right now that he had done it. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 26, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
yes very white and midwesterny.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »
Hey have you guys heard about this Go Ruck thing where you walk/jog/run for distance while carrying a "ruck sack" full of weight? I have a couple of friends who are into it...what do you think about it?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 26, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
sounds like a pretty mediocre way to get fit while also looking like a complete rough ridin' idiot. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 26, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
sounds like a pretty mediocre way to get fit while also looking like a complete rough ridin' idiot.

It's like in a backpack, not a man purse or anything...but you still might be right.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
yeah, they run around in groups with army backpacks looking like total dipshits.  much more effective less fuckfacey ways to get fit available.  some people love to do culty things though, so there's that. 

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 27, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »
It's like Bread had rain on his wedding day yesterday.

Cheers, bud  :cheers:

And Mrs. Gooch, if you want to Go Ruck yourself then more power to ya. While not a rucksack, I use a 2L hydration vest on long runs, and can feel I'm putting out slightly more effort . . . a 10-50lb rucksack would be considerably tougher.

Their claim that X miles rucking (or hiking) is > than X miles running is generally true, at least in my experience.  For that matter, walking X miles without a pack is tougher than running X miles.  In theory you're burning the same calories, but walking just takes a lot longer and requires more steps.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 27, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »
Hey have you guys heard about this Go Ruck thing where you walk/jog/run for distance while carrying a "ruck sack" full of weight? I have a couple of friends who are into it...what do you think about it?

i think your friends should enlist is the us army or maybe they already have?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 27, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »

i think your friends should enlist is the us army or maybe they already have?

I think they are too old, but one has a daughter in some military branch and I think he got into it with her.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »
ran the hilliest 5mi of my life today in rural oklahoma.  gonna be so sore tomorrow as not only was it hilly a.f. but a lot of it was on the steep grassy shoulder as it was along a one lane highway with no paved shoulder.  how i didn't roll an ankle i'll never know.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #695 on: June 07, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
Hoka One One :love:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 08, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
I'll be doing my first trail race next month. 11 miler. Pretty excited about doing something a little different. I read that the people who do them tend to be very chill, not so focused on time/splits/PR type stuff, and very well might strike up a conversation with you while running.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 08, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
Where's the race chum?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 08, 2015, 08:58:25 PM »
Where's the race chum?

East of Cincinnati. East Fork State Park.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 08, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
I'll be doing my first trail race next month. 11 miler. Pretty excited about doing something a little different. I read that the people who do them tend to be very chill, not so focused on time/splits/PR type stuff, and very well might strike up a conversation with you while running.

Ive run a bunch of trail runs, even some night ones, and your Intel seems about dead on. While you will always have those gung-ho runners trying for trail records and all that, the runs can be really fun and entertaining.

If you can ever do a night trail run I would strongly suggest trying it at least once. Gotta be careful, obviously, but man they are a good time.