Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142411 times)

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »
Would take!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
also fun: billsnyderhighwayhaf.com

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
:adios:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 23, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »
http://www.billsnyderhighwayhalf.com

Luked?

Would do. :love:
Just make me realize how God damn far a half marathon is

I bet a half marathon through the rolling hills of The Setting would be harder than the largely flat full I'm doing this weekend.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 23, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
That's a great course.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »
 :love: I may need to plan a trip back for this

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #507 on: January 24, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
:love: I may need to plan a trip back for this
I'm already traveling for Idiots Running Skunk Run. I'll be in Manhattan next year.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #508 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »
How was the New Orleans RnR? Race reports!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 25, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
How was the New Orleans RnR? Race reports!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2015, 04:55:53 AM »
Oh please. It was just a marathon. :) Hope it went well for you. I'm three months away from my fourth marathon start.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »
My friend broke 5 hours so she was pumped for her first marathon. It's hard work watching a marathon tho. Whew.

The course seemed pretty boring the parts I saw and not a lot of spectators

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »
Had my longest run since HS soccer on Sunday...5 miles. It took the Mrs. and I 1 hour (yeah, we're very slow) but it was so satisfying.
Continue to ramp up for our first ever 10k in April and 13.1 in May.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
Oh please. It was just a marathon. :) Hope it went well for you. I'm three months away from my fourth marathon start.

This one was v. hard. Admittedly I didn't train nearly as well for this one as I did for my first one a year ago (ate five candy bars on Friday afternoon in a weird wtf candy binge). I ended up finishing 30 minutes slower than my first one, which was kind of surprising because I didn't feel like I was going any slower this time around. Didn't stop once though, and didn't soil myself, which again was the goal. It was absolutely horrible from like miles 17-23, though. I hit like 2-3 walls in that time period but somehow still managed to not stop, thank God. Drank a shitload of water/gatorade in the second half of the marathon, which is the worst part because there are like no runners anymore (most just do the half), barely any spectators, and it's also on this part of the course that is up by Lake Pontchartrain where there are no trees and the sun just beats down on you. So the second half of the race really really sucked, is what I'm saying. I got a sunburn. :frown:

Before the race, when the music was pumping and there were thousands of people jumping up and down with excitement, I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe I'll become one of those 50 stater people who runs one in every state!" Then around mile 18 I decided never again. Prolly will next year, though. It was miserable but I'm glad I did a second one.

Phil Titola. I saw a guy in a qat hat on St. Charles Ave. early on in the race. It was one of those gray batqat hats with the KS. Was that you? I yelled "PHIL TITOLA!!!" as I ran by but didn't see the person respond. I also saw a female spectator near those big steps facing Jackson Square wearing a gray K-State hoodie. Was that you?

Hey guys I won!
http://running.competitor.com/2014/02/news/ben-oscar-wins-rock-n-roll-new-orleans-marathon_94644
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:57:49 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »

Phil Titola. I saw a guy in a qat hat on St. Charles Ave. early on in the race. It was one of those gray batqat hats with the KS. Was that you? I yelled "PHIL TITOLA!!!" as I ran by but didn't see the person respond. I also saw a female spectator near those big steps facing Jackson Square wearing a gray K-State hoodie. Was that you?[/s]

I was in a Royals hat.  I don't think anybody I know was the female spectator either. We were on the other side (closer to 10) of Jackson Square for a bit...then cabbed up to around the half/full split and walked through the park to 16 then back to 24.5 then ended up having to walk the entire route from there due to no other way to get under the highway.  We hung out at the Mich Ultra stand for a while then decided it was insane to pay $5 for 14oz of Mich Ultra while hanging around what looked like a triage center from a war/hurricane with all the people just sprawled out....so shuttled back to the Quarter.  Got pretty pak'd pretty early on the quarter but made it out till about midnight.

this was my first spectating of a marathon other than KC which I've just seen by accident....I expected many more spectators but like you said, that 13-26 course seemed pretty desolate so I could see why nobody would spectate that part.  It was brutal.....had to be hard to stay motivated through those miles.  When I run races I don't usually care about the crowd but having nobody around would be noticeable.

Congrats on the finish.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »

Phil Titola. I saw a guy in a qat hat on St. Charles Ave. early on in the race. It was one of those gray batqat hats with the KS. Was that you? I yelled "PHIL TITOLA!!!" as I ran by but didn't see the person respond. I also saw a female spectator near those big steps facing Jackson Square wearing a gray K-State hoodie. Was that you?[/s]

I was in a Royals hat.  I don't think anybody I know was the female spectator either. We were on the other side (closer to 10) of Jackson Square for a bit...then cabbed up to around the half/full split and walked through the park to 16 then back to 24.5 then ended up having to walk the entire route from there due to no other way to get under the highway.  We hung out at the Mich Ultra stand for a while then decided it was insane to pay $5 for 14oz of Mich Ultra while hanging around what looked like a triage center from a war/hurricane with all the people just sprawled out....so shuttled back to the Quarter.  Got pretty pak'd pretty early on the quarter but made it out till about midnight.

this was my first spectating of a marathon other than KC which I've just seen by accident....I expected many more spectators but like you said, that 13-26 course seemed pretty desolate so I could see why nobody would spectate that part.  It was brutal.....had to be hard to stay motivated through those miles.  When I run races I don't usually care about the crowd but having nobody around would be noticeable.

Congrats on the finish.
That's why the Las Vegas Rock n Roll is a lot of fun. The run is down the Strip, so there are tons of spectators for most of the run. I don't usually pay much attention to the crowd either, but they add something at that race.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 26, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Had my longest run since HS soccer on Sunday...5 miles. It took the Mrs. and I 1 hour (yeah, we're very slow) but it was so satisfying.
Continue to ramp up for our first ever 10k in April and 13.1 in May.
Congrats on that run. Don't worry about how long it takes. I quit running for competition a long time ago, and now I don't care too much what pace I go. Sometimes at a good clip and sometimes just leisurely. Just enjoy the journey. I call it the spirit of the run.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #517 on: January 28, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

This one was v. hard. Admittedly I didn't train nearly as well for this one as I did for my first one a year ago (ate five candy bars on Friday afternoon in a weird wtf candy binge). I ended up finishing 30 minutes slower than my first one, which was kind of surprising because I didn't feel like I was going any slower this time around. Didn't stop once though, and didn't soil myself, which again was the goal. It was absolutely horrible from like miles 17-23, though. I hit like 2-3 walls in that time period but somehow still managed to not stop, thank God. Drank a shitload of water/gatorade in the second half of the marathon, which is the worst part because there are like no runners anymore (most just do the half), barely any spectators, and it's also on this part of the course that is up by Lake Pontchartrain where there are no trees and the sun just beats down on you. So the second half of the race really really sucked, is what I'm saying. I got a sunburn. :frown:

Before the race, when the music was pumping and there were thousands of people jumping up and down with excitement, I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe I'll become one of those 50 stater people who runs one in every state!" Then around mile 18 I decided never again. Prolly will next year, though. It was miserable but I'm glad I did a second one.

Phil Titola. I saw a guy in a qat hat on St. Charles Ave. early on in the race. It was one of those gray batqat hats with the KS. Was that you? I yelled "PHIL TITOLA!!!" as I ran by but didn't see the person respond. I also saw a female spectator near those big steps facing Jackson Square wearing a gray K-State hoodie. Was that you?

Hey guys I won!
http://running.competitor.com/2014/02/news/ben-oscar-wins-rock-n-roll-new-orleans-marathon_94644
Good job. It's never easy but it's easier if you train a bit more. :)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 28, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
Good job. It's never easy but it's easier if you train a bit more. :)

Yeah, I admittedly hotdogged the preparation this time around. Still glad I did it, though.

Know what I learned about myself with this marathon? I'm really not into "middle-aged woman wine humor." So many ladies in their 40s standing off to the side, just holding up signs encouraging other ladies in their 40s to be happy because there's wine at the end. "Run faster, wine awaits!"  "Chafe now, wine later!!!" So many lady runners wore shirts about wine, too. I mean, whatever floats your boat, I guess, but...woof.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:58:37 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #519 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
Damn calf injury. I hate working through these things. I especially dislike using the elliptical and spin bike vice running.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #520 on: February 02, 2015, 06:25:14 AM »
Great site for helping with injuries. If you run, you'll get some nigglies eventually.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/ata-blog/2013/05/peroneal-tendonitis/

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 02, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Gonna start working on my speed game. Any suggestos?

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 02, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
fartleks, because it's a fun word to say, if for any other reason

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #523 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
Base
Fartkek
Base.
Base.
Fartlek.
Base.
Base
Base.

As much as people like to yap about not getting fast unless you run fast, nothing is better than low intensity long run with some fartleks in the mix. As you approach your race, you can have a tempo phase and a speed phase. Yet you still want to keep it in the same mix range.

If you're healthy, 20-30% of your workouts can be at a higher intensity. That's total time for the week.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
you guys, i ran that 5k last year and i haven't run more than 1.5 miles at a time since then, but i am going to do that 5k again this year  :lol: