Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141332 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »
That doesn't sound like a good idea.

I had an easy 7 miles last night. Getting back into shape and feeling good.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
I'm JK Kidding guys. I did a half a couple weeks ago and it was fine.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
Any of you HarrierCats know why my left shoulder blade/shoulder/trapezius are sore later in the day after running a few miles? Bad form? Possible shoulder blade hernia?

Please fix. TIA.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #478 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
Is the opposite side calf muscle tight?

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 16, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
Just found this thread.
You guys are awesome! Very motivating.
Mrs CatsNShocks and I took up running last October, and we signed up for our first have on New Years Eve. The race is in May.
We run very slow, but have a good time doing it.

We typically run 3 miles, with the longest so far of 4 miles and are gradually increasing distance for the Half.
Any advice on the mental aspect of running 6/7/8 miles? It's hard for me to imagine those distances.

Oh, we started (twice) with the Couch to 5k app. Like 30 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking. We were sucking wind big time!
We now joke about being "runners".

Thanks all for the motivation and the advice.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Is the opposite side calf muscle tight?

Not really.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #481 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
Chain of muscles calf, hamstring, glute, lower back, diagonal to opposite shoulder. I suck at the names of the muscles. I just find the trigger points with my foam roller and lacrosse ball. I start with the bottom of my foot and keep going up.

A really good book is Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Davies and Davies.

Not saying you don't have bad form or a muscle weakness causing bad form. However the massage will help with the healing.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
The shoulder is often a site of referred pain that actually originates from the diaphragm, lungs, pleura, etc.  If the pain comes with exertion, and then doesn't persist after or occur when doing other activities, then it is most likely not from the shoulder or musculoskeletal chain. 

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
Just found this thread.
Mrs CatsNShocks and I took up running last October, and we signed up for our first have on New Years Eve. The race is in May.

We typically run 3 miles, with the longest so far of 4 miles and are gradually increasing distance for the Half.
Any advice on the mental aspect of running 6/7/8 miles? It's hard for me to imagine those distances.

Oh, we started (twice) with the Couch to 5k app. Like 30 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking. We were sucking wind big time!

When I run long distances I listen to stand-up comedy that I have on my mp3.  The distraction of the humor makes the running far easier for me. When I did the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll in November I downloaded several hours of comedy so I had that distraction. Was a cool way to run.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Also you could prolly use a spiky acupressure mat to make your back/shoulder/everything feel good. Those things. wow, just wow.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 16, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
Just found this thread.

When I run long distances I listen to stand-up comedy that I have on my mp3.  The distraction of the humor makes the running far easier for me. When I did the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll in November I downloaded several hours of comedy so I had that distraction. Was a cool way to run.

I don't think the Mrs. would go for that. I usually hold my phone in my hand and let the music play out loud for both of us to here, also so we can still talk. I would like the podcasts, though. My older bro listens to Royals games, which would be cool too.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline EMADUB

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 16, 2015, 05:35:37 PM »

Hi CatsNShocks, glad you have found a passion for running. If at all possible, find a loop where you can run long distances without repeating the same path. Nothing worse than going out 4 miles  knowing you have to go back the same 4 miles. Reward your self for making it half way.. Stop for water.. Eat something.. Shed a layer..play your favorite jam. I always back sure either the fountain in Kstate Gardens or Bill's statue is around the half way point. Good luck with your training!

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »

Hi CatsNShocks, glad you have found a passion for running. If at all possible, find a loop where you can run long distances without repeating the same path. Nothing worse than going out 4 miles  knowing you have to go back the same 4 miles. Reward your self for making it half way.. Stop for water.. Eat something.. Shed a layer..play your favorite jam. I always back sure either the fountain in Kstate Gardens or Bill's statue is around the half way point. Good luck with your training!

Good advice. Thank you.
We ran 3 miles on Saturday and 4 yesterday. Yes, backtracking seems to be the worst. I would much rather make a loop than an out-and-back. Completed 17 miles last week.

Does anyone have suggestions for trails around Manhattan/Tuttle Creek?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #488 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »

i do the same thing, only replace comedy with talk shows, and i also mix in some music. if you're running a long distance (particularly a marathon), listening to 3-minute song after 3-minute song after 3-minute song...and being consciously aware that 3 minutes or so has passed each time one ends...can be mentally exhausting, especially if you do the math and say, "well, only 75 more songs and I'm finished."

i do the same for driving long distances.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 19, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »

Hi CatsNShocks, glad you have found a passion for running... Good luck with your training!

Very glad EMADUB is posting in this thread. Also should have known this American hero would be both delightfully supportive and insanely physically fit.

Bought these today. Excited to take them for a spin tomorrow:

No surprise, I also agree with known gE stud j rake.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
I've had at least half of these:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/8-running-injuries-no-one-ever-talks-about

How do I treat it? Your eyeballs should loosen up on their own within a few hours. If they don't, have some waffles. Because if you're going to suffer from lock-eye, might as well have some waffles.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 22, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
Any New Orleans 10k/half/full runners this weekend?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »

PHIL TITOLA I AM DOING THE ROCK N ROLL MARATHON IN NEW ORLEANS YES ARE YOU AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A POST RACE 'PAK AT THE FINISH LINE WITH SOME FREE MICHELOB ULTRAS

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 22, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »

PHIL TITOLA I AM DOING THE ROCK N ROLL MARATHON IN NEW ORLEANS YES ARE YOU AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A POST RACE 'PAK AT THE FINISH LINE WITH SOME FREE MICHELOB ULTRAS

I'll be observing.  Sounds like i have to pay for my a MICHELOB ULTRAS!  Best of luck.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:52 PM »
Let me know how the New Orleans Rock n Roll is. I have been to Vegas for theirs the past six or seven years. I would like to do the event in another city next year.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
phil t do you live in nola?

The Big Train

« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
one thing is for sure, he doesnt live in a cube

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol: