Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142569 times)

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
STOP IT BENNY!!!

Walk away from excess running, study says

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/31/4030986/walk-away-from-excess-running.html#storylink=cpy

Keep up the fitness, just don't Jim Fix yourself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
Hey guys.  First run of spring (~2 miles) was hard as hell and I went pretty slow.

:gocho:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 02, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
STOP IT BENNY!!!

Walk away from excess running, study says

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/31/4030986/walk-away-from-excess-running.html#storylink=cpy

Keep up the fitness, just don't Jim Fix yourself.

Oh don't worry. This is all a fad for your pal SB. Gonna get married soon and then totally let myself go. :gocho:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
I mostly run late at night and was stopped by the police once. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Hey guys.  First run of spring (~2 miles) was hard as hell and I went pretty slow.

:gocho:
Oh mama.  Am i ever hurting today.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
My back has been feeling better of late. I ran for thirty minutes on Tuesday. Tightened up again on Wednesday. Sigh. Some day this nonsense will end.
I ran again. No pain the next day. This is a great thing.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
Ran "for speed" last night for the first time ever. Did two miles in just under 18 minutes lol so slow
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Ran "for speed" last night for the first time ever. Did two miles in just under 18 minutes lol so slow

that's not that bad

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
how tall are you skin ben?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
2 miles yesterday. Might go 2 more tonight.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
If you're sore the day after a run, you either ran too far for your fitness or too fast.

Usually it's the latter.

Run often, mostly slow, sometimes fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »

that's not that bad

yeah, what a humblebrag

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
I ran a mile in 10 minutes this morning and I could feel the wind whipping by my face I was going so fast. And I was in my basement on my treadmill watching the news in closed captions.

EDIT: incline 0

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
If I had gone even .25 miles more it would've added 11 minutes to that total. no humblebrag. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:58:20 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:22 AM »
Ran two miles today.  Ran pretty well and didn't have to stop and walk not even once.  I even ran extra fast the last 100 yards just to show the world that it was no big whoop.

I might run 2 and a half miles next time.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
most of these posts should go in the shame yourself thread

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
Another successful run. Woot! Looking forward to some trails once the spring rains ease a bit.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
I'm gonna start running, guys.  :emawkid:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »

Get real running shoes. Spend like $110 and get a gait analysis and all that. That way you A) won't hurt yourself, and B) will actually be encouraged to do it a lot since you spent so much on shoes. P.S. 'grats.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »

Get real running shoes. Spend like $110 and get a gait analysis and all that. That way you A) won't hurt yourself, and B) will actually be encouraged to do it a lot since you spent so much on shoes. P.S. 'grats.
Getting gait analysis is not necessarily something everyone needs, but if you have a bad gait, its a bad place to be.  You won't know you have a bad gait and you can really hurt yourself with it.  I had high school coaches not diagnose my bad gait and even recommend shoes that made it worse and it killed me for running for years.   I'd get terrible shin splints, terrible stitches in my side, it made running no fun.  It was only a few years ago that I started running again because I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.    Haven't had any issues since!

My buddy in the airforce can get people on base for an examination, but i'm not certain who normally offers this service, commercially.

An option, and its not for everyone, is just get those barefoot running shoes (e.g Vibram 5 fingers) and learn to run on the balls of your feet... if you wear those and have bad form, you'll figure it out in a hurry.

Offline EMADUB

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2014, 10:55:44 PM »
First off, this video is chilling. #WeWillRun

Secondly , A week from Resurection Sunday I am attempting my first marathon in OKC. I am super nervous. Ran two 20 milers in training and hit a wall at 17 both times. After listening to some podcasts/ reading stuff I see I need to re-fuel around 16-18.

SB and all other  marathoners
What works the best? Those funny looking jelly beans? Unleavened bread? Power bars? Pizza?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
So you haven't used any fuel in training. Oof. That stinks. Race day is a bad day to learn that gels turn your stomach.

Caloric needs and what you consume are very individualized. Personally, I like to eat half of a Clif Bar every hour. Rarely will I consume gels. However others love them. I have friends that like pb&j.

You need food intake hourly. If you wait until sixteen miles, your body won't be able to process it fast enough to get it to your muscles. My running coach started me at sixty calories per hour.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2014, 11:59:07 PM »
60/hr? I burn twice that while sleeping according to the body bug thing I bought last year.   In absolute rest,  I burn btwn 1.9 & 2/ min.   When jogging,  in the low to mid teens per min.

My burn is high because of my size and weight,  but 1/min during such high need seems crazy low to me.   

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
Our bodies have a large storage capacity. The 60 cal/hr intake keeps you from bonking before you finish. You aren't trying to consume the same as you are burning.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »
So, anytime you exercise, your body burns sugar (i.e blood sugar) to meet the sudden need for excess energy.  Any diabetic will tell you having too much blood sugar is a bad thing, so you only have so much blood sugar in your system (say a few miles worth of running) at any one time. Now, your body, not wanting to waste energy reserves converts sugars into fats when your blood sugar is at a normal level, which, in periods in which you're beginning to expend your blood sugar it begins to cash in.  However the process that breaks down fat into energy is much slower than the process that converts sugar into energy.  As a result, if your energy demand is high (marathon) your body simply can't break down fats into energy fast enough to keep up.  Eventually you will run out of blood sugar and be physically incapable of maintaining your pace by burning only fat.  A quick shot of simple carbs/sugars allows your body to bridge the gap between the energy its getting from fat reserves and how much energy you're needing.

Thats why you only need 60 cal/hour, whereas you're burning 1000+/hour.  It supplements your existing sugar/fat reserves to create a sustainable pace of energy consumption.