Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141339 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
Yeah. That seems insane, right? It looks like a lot of fun but idk if I'd pay $130 for it. Apparently it's pretty standard for marathon rates to be $100 or a little more. Which is crazy and terrible. Can any pro runner confirm or deny this?
All the RnR (Competitor Group) races are up there. The local marathons are $75-100. Depends on how close to race day. I prefer the self supported trail runs. Water and fuel management are more of a challenge when you don't have someone handing you stuff every three miles.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Yeah. That seems insane, right? It looks like a lot of fun but idk if I'd pay $130 for it. Apparently it's pretty standard for marathon rates to be $100 or a little more. Which is crazy and terrible. Can any pro runner confirm or deny this?
All the RnR (Competitor Group) races are up there. The local marathons are $75-100. Depends on how close to race day. I prefer the self supported trail runs. Water and fuel management are more of a challenge when you don't have someone handing you stuff every three miles.

Having someone hand me water to sip and splash on my face in dramatic fashion every 3 miles is actually very important to me. Very important.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2014, 08:11:33 PM »
Once you try trails, it's hard to go back to the crowded street races. I'm hooked.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
guys, i'm trying to get back into running a little bit.

i ran xc for 2 years in hs. 10 miles was the farthest we ever went in practice. i was dece, ran the first mile in 5:07 in my 2nd fastest race. not sure how fast in my best race, cuz they didn't have a guy at the 1 mile mark telling us our times  :frown:

i ran a little back in the spring of 04, ran a 5k and stuff, but didn't even think about running for the past decade really until this fall. i wanna run at least 3 times a week going forward. i'm gonna need some accountability here guys  :thumbsup:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
J-dub I will stand outside of your window with a boombox over my head like John Cusack in your avatar, except I will just be playing 80s training montage music. Maybe the Rocky music or something.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Ran 22 miles this morning. Was insane.

Then I got a pizza and watched the qats. Haven't left the couch for five hours. This hurts, guys.  HURTS SO GOOD!!!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
gag

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
Ran 22 miles this morning. Was insane.

Then I got a pizza and watched the qats. Haven't left the couch for five hours. This hurts, guys.  HURTS SO GOOD!!!
So jealous! I have a pinched nerve in lower back. So no spring marathon training. :(

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
Any good recommendations on dealing with shin splints? Pretty similar situation here to what j-dub described but every time I try to run I get horrible shin splints. Like its hurts to walk for several days bad. This happened back in October and so I stopped and went to elliptical for "running" until last week and they came back just as bad the first time I ran.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
gag

It was great for about the first 17 or so. Weather was just :love: and I got to do a bunch of new territory which kept it from being boring. Big old nice houses and a sweet lakefront. Was boss. ...Then I started to tire out pretty badly, my phone battery went dead around the 19 mile mark and the rest of the run was in a park I've been in 40 times already and there was no music and I was bored. :don'tcare:

Going on hour 5 1/2 of barely getting off the couch. Now SB is set to watch Top Gun. :cool:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:31:41 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Any good recommendations on dealing with shin splints? Pretty similar situation here to what j-dub described but every time I try to run I get horrible shin splints. Like its hurts to walk for several days bad. This happened back in October and so I stopped and went to elliptical for "running" until last week and they came back just as bad the first time I ran.
http://sock-doc.com/2011/04/shin-splints/

Follow the links in the article for details about possible causes and fixes.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
why in the world would you want to run that far?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
why in the world would you want to run that far?

get babes and see stuff :dunno:

Pretty much every piece of gear or whatever that I mentioned in this post was to help with shin splints. Give it a read and get some of this stuff.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=30393.msg993014#msg993014

DEFINITELY get some good running shoes and spend $40 on a pair of compression socks or compression calf sleeves. Go to a running store and have them measure your calf to make sure you get the right size. It's expensive as crap to beat shin splints but it feels really good to finally pwn them.

Also I don't know what the sock doc would say about this but this article was posted in Benja's physical fitness thread a year or two ago. http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:40:58 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline EMADUB

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2014, 02:10:45 AM »
Dang, nice job SB!!! Is this your last long run before you taper? Or you just straight up being a boss with running? I got 10 tomorrow and not looking forward to it. This has provided some extra motivation.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline EMADUB

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
Guys, just got some of these bad boys, let me know of some trails around MHK!!

http://www.rei.com/product/856684/saucony-xodus-40-gtx-trail-running-shoes-mens,-black/green/citron?preferredSku=8566840006&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8566840006&mr:trackingCode=5068979C-821D-E311-A755-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=20834221840&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=39033302680&msid=B2DWXDxh_dc|pcrid|20834221840|&{copy:s_kwcid}

:love: great choice nicname!!

Linear trail is great. Especially the limestone part. Entrances are behind Manhattan Running Company, behind Griffith Park,  and off Casement Road! Plus there is a legit sauce bike trail off of it. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
Dang, nice job SB!!! Is this your last long run before you taper?

Yup. P.S. Tapering. How do you do it?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:31:34 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »
That's tremendous, SB.  To taper, just be disciplined about following a training program.  Remember that they are developed based on physiology and if you veer too far from them, you'll likely have problems of one kind or another.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »
I used Brooks for a couple years.  Switched to the popular Mizuno Wave Rider last fall and loved them.  Totally streamlined and no-nonsense.  I will be loyal to them for a while provided I don't get injured again, in which case I'll go back to Brooks.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
I used Brooks for a couple years.  Switched to the popular Mizuno Wave Rider last fall and loved them.  Totally streamlined and no-nonsense.  I will be loyal to them for a while provided I don't get injured again, in which case I'll go back to Brooks.

I've been pro-Brooks for years but this last pair just hasn't felt right.  I used Saucony before the Brooks because I do like a lighter shoe.  These compare well with the Brooks eh?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2014, 09:28:11 AM »

I've been pro-Brooks for years but this last pair just hasn't felt right.  I used Saucony before the Brooks because I do like a lighter shoe.  These compare well with the Brooks eh?

Yeah, they're just a bit different.  Lighter than Brooks.  The cushion feels more firm and they feel more rigid overall, which I found that I liked.  The heel to toe angle is greater, which makes me want to run faster.  The overall quality seems about the same.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
bad news, bros. on wednesday when i was running i stepped on an acorn and rolled my ankle. i didn't think it was anything at the time but i have a high ankle sprain. i just ran four miles and it hurt  :frown:. i'm icing it now.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
bad news, bros. on wednesday when i was running i stepped on an acorn and rolled my ankle. i didn't think it was anything at the time but i have a high ankle sprain. i just ran four miles and it hurt  :frown:. i'm icing it now.

Where can we find the acorn that did this to you???

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Man that sucks.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
After two hours on the spin bike, I went for a two mile run on the treadmill. Hopefully, I'll be able to shift to more running and less spinning. Back is feeling better.