Author Topic: Not sure if this has been razed but maybe Webber should consider  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
Not sure if this has been razed but maybe Webber should consider
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »
having the team line up and shoot free throws at the beginning and end of practice.  When I played high school hoops back in the early ninties the team would all stand in a line and we would take turns shooting a free throw.  I'm guessing that each player would get at least 8-9 shots each practice.  This could really reap some big gains in the FG % department come march madness time.  Does anyone have coach Webbers email address I may send him an email and suggest this.

Thoughts? 

(before anyone gives me any grief, I'd guess we shot well over 60% from the line in high school which was a huge improvement for us because early in the year we shot poorly but that was because we weren't lining up an shooting so many free throws every game.

Coach also may want to make it fun and have them play a few games of knock out from the free throw line.  Sometimes with kids you have to trick them into practicing hard and a fun game like knock out (aka lightning) can be the ticket.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
bears are fast...

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if this has been razed but maybe Webber should consider
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »
having the team line up and shoot free throws at the beginning and end of practice.  When I played high school hoops back in the early ninties the team would all stand in a line and we would take turns shooting a free throw.  I'm guessing that each player would get at least 8-9 shots each practice.  This could really reap some big gains in the FG % department come march madness time.  Does anyone have coach Webbers email address I may send him an email and suggest this.

Thoughts? 

(before anyone gives me any grief, I'd guess we shot well over 60% from the line in high school which was a huge improvement for us because early in the year we shot poorly but that was because we weren't lining up an shooting so many free throws every game.

Coach also may want to make it fun and have them play a few games of knock out from the free throw line.  Sometimes with kids you have to trick them into practicing hard and a fun game like knock out (aka lightning) can be the ticket.

:popcorn:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »
raze away

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile

The Big Train

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:51:04 AM »

Thoughts? 

:dubious:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »

Thoughts? 

Wabash Station may be the dumbest message board in all the www

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
If we lose come March Madness time because of FTs, you all are going to look like fools

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »

Thoughts? 

Perhaps...  However, I think we'd all be doing our alma mater a HUGE dis-service if somebody didn't at least email oscar with such a great idea/coaching tip.

bears are fast...

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
shooting FTs at the beginning of practice does absolutely no good. anyone can make a couple from the charity stripe (some basketball slang right there) with fresh legs.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
shooting FTs at the beginning of practice does absolutely no good. anyone can make a couple from the charity stripe (some basketball slang right there) with fresh legs.

TTHoTUC is dropping mad bball truths.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »

TTHoTUC is dropping mad bball truths.

just something for Webber to consider

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »

THIS is why I'm a gE premium member...  Fantastic display of such HFTSIQ.
bears are fast...

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
what the players need to do is do the same routine every time before they shoot the free throw. this will help to establish muscle memory and increase ft %.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

Thoughts? 

They had a thread a few years back about free throw shooting and I think the consensus reached was that the players needed to bend at the knees a little more during the shooting process.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
The FT practice process needs to involve fatigue and pressure.

A) Have the players shoot when tired; after running a particular difficult drill or a long scrimmage session.

B) Create REAL pressure on the shot; ie. "if you miss this FT Thomas, you will lose 1/5 of your scholarship money."

BOOM. We'd be the best FT shooting team in the league.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »

A) Have the players shoot when tired; after running a particular difficult drill or a long scrimmage session.

B) Create REAL pressure on the shot; ie. "if you miss this FT Thomas, you will lose 1/5 of your scholarship money."

BOOM. We'd be the best FT shooting team in the league.

:surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Offline ksutrumpet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
I am so frustrated with the free-throw shooting. I just don't understand how young men that have been playing the game of basketball for most of their lives can continually miss a damn free-throw. eff practicing scenarios for free-throws, just rough ridin' make them for crying out loud. They have probably shot thousands in there life it's not like it's something new. :shakesfist:

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
A free throw is not difficult. It just isn't.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
I am so frustrated with the free-throw shooting. I just don't understand how young men that have been playing the game of basketball for most of their lives can continually miss a damn free-throw. eff practicing scenarios for free-throws, just rough ridin' make them for crying out loud. They have probably shot thousands in there life it's not like it's something new. :shakesfist:

I don't think you understand how freaking tired they are when they're shooting these things.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »

Agreed.  Maybe after running a "suicide" (which is a drill where you start on the base line and then you run to the free throw line and then back to the base line and then to the half court line and then back to the base line and then to the other free throw line and then back to the base line and then full court and then back to the base line.)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
Do we think Kevin from the home alone documentary series could set us up some sort of mannequin pulley system that could imitate crowd movement?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
i've always wondered if kstate could get some engineering class at kstate to study bramlage and all of the fans on the ceiling and then rig them in some kind of way that would force the ball towards the inside of the hoop on the kstate offense side of the court.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »

Agreed.  Maybe after running a "suicide" (which is a drill where you start on the base line and then you run to the free throw line and then back to the base line and then to the half court line and then back to the base line and then to the other free throw line and then back to the base line and then full court and then back to the base line.)

But pressure is important too.

"Will, if you miss more than 2 of 10, Gip will punch you in the face."

"Jack, if you miss the front end of this one, you won't be able to go home for Christmas."

Stuff life that.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »

But pressure is important too.

"Will, if you miss more than 2 of 10, Gip will punch you in the face."

"Jack, if you miss the front end of this one, you won't be able to go home for Christmas."

Stuff life that.
we've got a regular Mark Mangino here

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
i've always wondered if kstate could get some engineering class at kstate to study bramlage and all of the fans on the ceiling and then rig them in some kind of way that would force the ball towards the inside of the hoop on the kstate offense side of the court.

rick you've had some bad ideas in the past (starting a restaurant called surprises where the menu changes every single day is just one of those bad ideas that im thinking of right now) but this is by far the worst one.