Author Topic: Home Theater Systems  (Read 2199 times)

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
Home Theater Systems
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:19 AM »
What do you elite people own?

I'm looking for a pair of rear speakers to round out my system. Current set up as follows:

Samsung 55" 7050 series. LED. 3D. 240 hz. 1080P. Smart Hub.
Denon A/V Receiver AVR-1912. 7.1 channel. 7x90 watts.
Front and Center KLH speakers. Old, nothing special but sound decent. Due to upgrade.
JBL ES150PBK 10" Subwoofer. 200 watts rms. 400 watts max. 27-150hz.

Primary use is for TV and Movies. Rarely used for music.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Home Theater Systems
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:29 AM »
High end soundbar mounted under flat screen on wall with big sub.  /thread
@mikec2w

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:34:03 AM »

Soundbar?  :ROFL:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »

Do you buy your home entertainment equipment at Walmart?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:19:28 AM »

Yeah, this. lol at people's dirtbag houses with speakers everywhere like it's 1991.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »
Looking at piecing together a Sonos wireless system.  Want to have surround sound and also have the ability to move the speakers to stream in other rooms.  Anyone have any experience w/ Sonos? 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »
Looking at piecing together a Sonos wireless system.  Want to have surround sound and also have the ability to move the speakers to stream in other rooms.  Anyone have any experience w/ Sonos?

this is the question of the month. I want to get the soundbar and build from there for use throughout the house.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »

this is the question of the month. I want to get the soundbar and build from there for use throughout the house.

I was going to start w/ a couple of the PLay 3 speakers. Amazon will throw in a free bridge w/ a purchase of the 1, 4 or 5.   I thought I'd start out with a couple 3s for streaming music around the house and then this spring get the sound bar and a 5 or sub.  The reviews seem really great but I'm catching a lot of grief about the sound bar.  It's not like I am some kind of audiophile. I just want to upgrade the sound and maximize space. Also picking up a Samsung 60" in or around March when the Madness sales hit. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
Hey numb nuts, there are speakers built into your TV.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »

I was going to start w/ a couple of the PLay 3 speakers. Amazon will throw in a free bridge w/ a purchase of the 1, 4 or 5.   I thought I'd start out with a couple 3s for streaming music around the house and then this spring get the sound bar and a 5 or sub.  The reviews seem really great but I'm catching a lot of grief about the sound bar.  It's not like I am some kind of audiophile. I just want to upgrade the sound and maximize space. Also picking up a Samsung 60" in or around March when the Madness sales hit.

anyone giving you grief about a soundbar is a loser. you should real life defriend them before they drag you down with them.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »
i was given a sound system as a gift last year, and i was super excited about it, but then discovered that it wasn't wireless.  like wtf, i'm not going to string a bunch of cables around my living room.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
I maaaaaaay pull the trigger on the Sonos soundbar/sub package this weekend. Will report back if I do.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
I maaaaaaay pull the trigger on the Sonos soundbar/sub package this weekend. Will report back if I do.

:love:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

anyone giving you gried about a soundbar is a loser. you should real life defriend them before they drag you down with them.

The guy giving me grief is Google Fiber Alex.  I can't defriend him...

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
let me know when you guys start talking about McIntosh components and Moon speakers and i'll consider this an "elite" discussion.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
I have one of these:  http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/simplified_home_theater/cinemate_series_ii/index.jsp

It's simple, not too expensive, and the sound is fantastic.  That being said I wouldn't have bought it if I had had a different setup.  The way it is I can effectively hide the sub and you barely notice the other speakers.

I don't get into the whole amps/watts/hertz crap even though I'm an engineer.  I want simple, easy.

Also, the way to effectively test your sound system is with the opening scene in TOP GUN.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
I have one of these:  http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/simplified_home_theater/cinemate_series_ii/index.jsp

It's simple, not too expensive, and the sound is fantastic.  That being said I wouldn't have bought it if I had had a different setup.  The way it is I can effectively hide the sub and you barely notice the other speakers.

I don't get into the whole amps/watts/hertz crap even though I'm an engineer.  I want simple, easy.

Also, the way to effectively test your sound system is with the opening scene in TOP GUN.

Good test movie: Tron Legacy.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »

i do.  they're great. 
you buy a sonos bridge and hook it up w/ ethernet directly into your router.  and then you put your sonos speakers in the rooms you want them in and plug the power in.  d/l the sonos app to your ipad/iphone.  done.  a 2 year old can do it.  you can stream different music to each speaker or the same music, pandora, itunes library, etc.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »

the play 3's are pretty small, like good for an enclosed kitchen space or something.  if you're putting these in your living spaces you'll want the play 5.  i bought both.  you can definitely tell the difference in sound.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »

Nice...
@mikec2w

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

the play 3's are pretty small, like good for an enclosed kitchen space or something.  if you're putting these in your living spaces you'll want the play 5.  i bought both.  you can definitely tell the difference in sound.

Thanks clams!!! How mobile is the 5 compared to the 3 as far as moving it from room to room? eventually I'll have several but starting out maybe just a couple of the 3s.  We are talking pretty small rooms here to start out and really just for streaming.  I'm going to go w/ the 5 and maybe sound bar in a few months but start w/ these 2 3s in smaller rooms.  I just want nice sound and convenience... I'm not looking to blow the doors off. Is the free bridge through Amazon prime for a play 3 for 299 a good deal?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
@mikec2w

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
no wonder steve dave does not GAF about actual surround sound. he never watches movies

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »

Thanks clams!!! How mobile is the 5 compared to the 3 as far as moving it from room to room? eventually I'll have several but starting out maybe just a couple of the 3s.  We are talking pretty small rooms here to start out and really just for streaming.  I'm going to go w/ the 5 and maybe sound bar in a few months but start w/ these 2 3s in smaller rooms.  I just want nice sound and convenience... I'm not looking to blow the doors off. Is the free bridge through Amazon prime for a play 3 for 299 a good deal?

they're very easy to move around. just unplug the power and move it.  you're going to be surprised with how small the are.  the free bridge is good, amazon does that from time to time.  when i bought my stuff in august, the free bridge promo expired the week before so i missed it.  also, amazon charges tax on kansas shipments now, so if you need a MO address (still tax free), just let me know, it will save you some $$

sonos stuff is the same price no matter where you get it so the bridge deal and the tax free thing is why you should buy from amazon. also should qualify for free 2 day shipping, mine did.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »

they're very easy to move around. just unplug the power and move it.  you're going to be surprised with how small the are.  the free bridge is good, amazon does that from time to time.  when i bought my stuff in august, the free bridge promo expired the week before so i missed it.  also, amazon charges tax on kansas shipments now, so if you need a MO address (still tax free), just let me know, it will save you some $$

sonos stuff is the same price no matter where you get it so the bridge deal and the tax free thing is why you should buy from amazon. also should qualify for free 2 day shipping, mine did.

Yeah I have a MO address to ship it to.  My question now I guess is this.  Is the play 5 so big that it's cumbersome to move around from room to room?  My GF wants to be able to stream music and move it every once in a while.  She has one of those bose docking station deals but the connection sucks and it cuts in and out... also she wants to play w/out pluggin the phone in.  Should I just man up and get the 5?  Thanks Clams.