Author Topic: Shockers  (Read 93505 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Shockers
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »
I watched, not impressed.

Still haven't watched. I'll never care about mid-majors. They seem so insignificant when you go to titletown U. :users:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 03:39:18 AM »
You know you've arrived among the elite when you're giddy about getting a win against Indiana State

Final Four last season and undefeated this season, tho

Yeah they've earned this, it's pretty tough to hate on them with any creditability. They could be the first 1 to lose to a 16 but it wouldn't diminish what they accomplished to that point. The mid-major schedule thing is stupid, as evidenced by how rare it is for any program to have a run like this. WSU has high major. talent in a mid major conference.  The last two mid majors to make runs like this, St. Joseph's and UNLV, had multiple NBA players.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
They need to get more big-timey commercials during their broadcasts. A whole lot of commercials for the Terra Haute Holiday Inn last night.  :confused:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
A 1-loss SDSU would be more deserving of a 1 seed than an undefeated WSU, and the committee won't give two mid-major conference schools a 1 seed.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Their best win is @ Saint Louis. I don't think people realize how shitty the MVC is.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
Their best win is @ Saint Louis. I don't think people realize how shitty the MVC is.

Isn't SLU ranked 13 or somethiing?

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »

Yes, it's a quality win. But they're just beating up on bad teams in conference play. Half the MVC is below .500 overall.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »

Yes, it's a quality win. But they're just beating up on bad teams in conference play. Half the MVC is below .500 overall.

Still, it's hard for any team to go undefeated no matter how pud the competition. They have to win on their worst nights on the road.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
I still think they're pretty good tho and you can't punish them with their ranking, cause they're undefeated in a crappy league. Mainly cause they're coming off a final four run as well.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
this wouldn't even be a topic if Creighton would have just stayed put.

catzacker

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
WSU is just punishing the GWAL this year.  But I think their road game @ Bishop Carroll will give them some trouble.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
undefeated is undefeated.  st joe's got the 1 seed when they went 27-0 and so should wsu.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Pretty indifferent about the actual basketball aspect, but nothing will stop me mocking wichita shockermania.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
Pretty indifferent about the actual basketball aspect, but nothing will stop me mocking wichita shockermania.

yes this

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
undefeated is undefeated.  st joe's got the 1 seed when they went 27-0 and so should wsu.

That St Joes team had two 1st round picks and the A10 was a 4 bid league that year. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison just because they are from mid major conferences.

And fwiw, they were blown out by 20 in their conf tourney game and still got a 1. If WSU gets blown out by 20 in the MVC tourney they would drop to a 3.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
I agree that they've earned their ranking and seed, however when I watched them, they didn't impress me that much.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
The thing that kept popping up in my head last night is how far do they fall with just one loss? I think that is the tell for how respectable their season actually is.  I think they might drop into the upper teens if not twenties at that point.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
The thing that kept popping up in my head last night is how far do they fall with just one loss? I think that is the tell for how respectable their season actually is.  I think they might drop into the upper teens if not twenties at that point.

They'd fall to like somewhere between 8-12

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

You should think about other things at night.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
True, but growing up in Kansas and in the Wichita Metro area has always given me a desire to cheer on the Shockers.  But at the same time I find it intriguing the difference in importance between number crunching (all that kenpom stuff) and that hallowed 0 to the right of the hyphen. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »
True, but growing up in Kansas and in the Wichita Metro area has always given me a desire to cheer on the Shockers.  But at the same time I find it intriguing the difference in importance between number crunching (all that kenpom stuff) and that hallowed 0 to the right of the hyphen.

I've never heard someone refer to city you grew up in as the "Wichita Metro."  :facepalm:  "I live in the Wichita metro, just head to the outskirts then drive through 40 miles of mostly unincorporated farmland. BOOM, your at my house."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:26:11 PM by Spracne »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »

I've never heard someone refer to city you grew up in as the "Wichita Metro."  :facepalm:  "I live in the Wichita metro, just head to the outskirts then drive through 40 miles of mostly unincorporated farmland. BOOM, your at my house."

The Wichita Metropolitan Statistical Area consists of 4 counties and over 600K people.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »

The Wichita Metropolitan Statistical Area consists of 4 counties and over 600K people.

...and the place in question is not in one of those 4 counties.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »

...and the place in question is not in one of those 4 counties.

Reno and Sedgewick touch. . .the news always included us in that area I thought. . .my what a lie I've been living under.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »
take it to the cosmosphere thread dork