Author Topic: I Miss The OOD  (Read 10240 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I Miss The OOD
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
Frank got kids from all over the country, Dax. Recruiting is not regional, it's not 1945 anymore. Also, I'm sure Frank was an bad person to Currie, but a good AD keeps his good coaches happy. You think Frank was the only successful head coach to be mean to his AD?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
Frank got kids from all over the country, Dax. Recruiting is not regional, it's not 1945 anymore. Also, I'm sure Frank was an bad person to Currie, but a good AD keeps his good coaches happy. You think Frank was the only successful head coach to be mean to his AD?

Towards the end Frank's recruiting had way more misses than hits, a couple of years it flat out blew ass.  I don't blame it all on Frank either, but Frank wasn't going to stay at K-State no matter how much you rub your Frank Replica KstateO boots together and want to believe otherwise.

Frank inherited a trendline on a rocket ship, he left with a trendline on a slow descent.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »

Towards the end Frank's recruiting had way more misses than hits, a couple of years it flat out blew ass.  I don't blame it all on Frank either, but Frank wasn't going to stay at K-State no matter how much you rub your Frank Replica KstateO boots together and want to believe otherwise.

Frank inherited a trendline on a rocket ship, he left with a trendline on a slow descent.

Recruiting success at a school like K-State is always going to be a little bit cyclical. If you're not a blue blood, then you will have bad recruiting classes some years. He would have had plenty of good ones as well though. Frank's the same guy, with the same reputation that he's always had, and he's recruiting pretty well at USC. Frank would have stayed at K-State for another five years probably if our AD could have found a way to make the relationship work, which is his rough ridin' job.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

Recruiting success at a school like K-State is always going to be a little bit cyclical. If you're not a blue blood, then you will have bad recruiting classes some years. He would have had plenty of good ones as well though. Frank's the same guy, with the same reputation that he's always had, and he's recruiting pretty well at USC. Frank would have stayed at K-State for another five years probably if our AD could have found a way to make the relationship work, which is his rough ridin' job.

While I don't disagree entirely about the relationship working part, but Frank was pretty insuferable on many levels.   You need to hang a few banners and put some trophies of import in the case before you get to that level.   Also, really no excuse for any major conference team experiencing an above average level of success (to Frank's credit) to go out and miss on the recruiting trail that often.   There were good players interested in K-State, who ulimately decided they wanted no part of Frank.   

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Dax, successful teams sucking at recruiting is a long established KSU tradition.  Why should one coach be held to a standard that the others arent?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Dax, successful teams sucking at recruiting is a long established KSU tradition.  Why should one coach be held to a standard that the others arent?

Terrible, how do you even respond to that?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

While I don't disagree entirely about the relationship working part, but Frank was pretty insuferable on many levels.   You need to hang a few banners and put some trophies of import in the case before you get to that level.   Also, really no excuse for any major conference team experiencing an above average level of success (to Frank's credit) to go out and miss on the recruiting trail that often.   There were good players interested in K-State, who ulimately decided they wanted no part of Frank.

USC's basketball tradition must be a pretty strong pull, for known bad guy like Frank Martin to be able to pull in a few 4* kids his first couple of years on the job.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

USC's basketball tradition must be a pretty strong pull, for known bad guy like Frank Martin to be able to pull in a few 4* kids his first couple of years on the job.

Thus it's why change is good.   Frank was melting down at K-State bro, he needed a change.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »

Terrible, how do you even respond to that?

:dubious:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
fwiw i bet lucas scoopsalot (much like mocat) missed the OOD when frank was still here too, dax

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
Can I clear things up? I only started this thread because I've been to all the home games last year and this year and outside of the KU and OK State game last year, Bramlage has been a very boring place to attend games. The crowd isn't into the games and it is boring; I simply want more fans at the games, which makes it more fun. I'm to the point that I don't care what that takes as long as football doesn't suck.

No, denied. You started this thread because you are a Frankite and miss Frank and want Frank back and hate oscar because Frank and frankly it is sad. /dax

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
It's the butthurt that keeps you away. 

Nothing says I care more about the coach than the program like worshiping a guy who went 4-4 (11-10 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season, and you still thought it was great just because he was standing on the sidelines, "hey man, we lost, but it was still great because Frank was there and he was all mad and was wearing his KstateO cowboy boots."

We all know kougs is a simpleton, so let's get that out of the way first.

For me it was pretty simple: replacing a guy who

a) 5-4 (11-10 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season

with

b) 4-4 (5-12 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season

isn't an exciting idea.  Settling for other programs garbage isn't exciting.   Never did I think I would see the day when dax thought a coach fired (for performance reasons) from a school he considers vastly underachieving in sports would be good enough for him.  And not only good enough, but the best poor wittle ole K-State could do.

You can pretend for me its about Frank, but for me its about showing the whole college basketball world that KSU basketball is an inferior program that can only hope to settle for coaches not good enough for the big-time and in a tier below Illinois.   Successful enough at a program like Illinois -> get hired by a school Kansas, bad enough to get fired by Iliinois -> good enough to get immediately hired by KSU.  Maybe next we can hire whoever fails at NC State?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

Nothing says I care more about the coach than the program like worshiping a guy who went 4-4 (11-10 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season, and you still thought it was great just because he was standing on the sidelines, "hey man, we lost, but it was still great because Frank was there and he was all mad and was wearing his KstateO cowboy boots."

a) 5-4 (11-10 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season

with

b) 4-4 (5-12 overall from January to March) at home in conference play his last season

isn't an exciting idea.  Settling for other programs garbage isn't exciting.   Never did I think I would see the day when dax thought a coach fired (for performance reasons) from a school he considers vastly underachieving in sports would be good enough for him.  And not only good enough, but the best poor wittle ole K-State could do.

You can pretend for me its about Frank, but for me its about showing the whole college basketball world that KSU basketball is an inferior program that can only hope to settle for coaches not good enough for the big-time and in a tier below Illinois.   Successful enough at a program like Illinois -> get hired by a school Kansas, bad enough to get fired by Iliinois -> good enough to get immediately hired by KSU.  Maybe next we can hire whoever fails at NC State?

oscar is the tater pringle tots of ncca basketball  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

with

You call me a simpleton and then agree with me. I love how obtuse you can be. It's pretty impressive on a pathetic level.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Frank's recruiting was improving when he left. He learned a lot after his big misses in 2008 and 2009. Just wanted to point that out.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
I remember these types of debates during the Greg McDermott era about whether Eustachy was on a downside or not (recruiting wise) and whether it was worth getting rid of him because of the (then) current program state of affairs under Mac. Ts and Ps.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
In that run Dax references we did have a couple wins on the road against top 5 teams where JO DOB'd.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
When Frank took over the team was on an upward trend coming off the NIT.  When he left it was on a downward trend coming off the second round of the NCAAs.  If that's the trends that dax is arguing then the standard definitely changed under Frank.

Back to the point of the thread though: No, Frank was never dominant in the OOD.  But the atmosphere was improved, turnout was improved, and we beat KU there twice which we hadn't done in the previous 20+ years.  When I say I miss the OOD it isn't because of K-State's home dominance.  I miss ESPN talking about it as an elite venue for a game, I miss the fans going apeshit to sandstorm straight through a timeout, and I miss knowing that even if the #1 team in the country came in there, we had a chance.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 12:15:19 AM »
Man, ESPN loved to talk about the OOD. Anybody who watched ESPN even once a week knew our venue was called the OOD and who Jacob Pullen was. Now the average sports fan couldn't name a player on our team.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 12:18:01 AM »
Man, ESPN loved to talk about the OOD. Anybody who watched ESPN even once a week knew our venue was called the OOD and who Jacob Pullen was. Now the average sports fan couldn't name a player on our team.

the average ksu fan would struggle with more than 3 i think.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
No really.   The Frankite Butthurt Express is nuclear powered and won't need a refueling for awhile.

I always preferred the term "Martian"
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
One of the reasons the average sports fan couldn't name a player on our team is because Frank Martin's recruiting left us with Will Spradling, Omari Lawrence, Niño Williams and Thomas Gipson.   The only name that would have moved the needle ever so slightly was Capt. Homesick.    But even then only amongst hardcore basketball fans. 

That's the huge reason why true freshman comprise 60% plus of our current scoring. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
One of the reasons the average sports fan couldn't name a player on our team is because Frank Martin's recruiting left us with Will Spradling, Omari Lawrence, Niño Williams and Thomas Gipson.   The only name that would have moved the needle ever so slightly was Capt. Homesick.    But even then only amongst hardcore basketball fans. 

That's the huge reason why true freshman comprise 60% plus of our current scoring. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You misplace a lot of the oscar hate as people loving or missing Frank.  I can't say that I miss Frank that much  :dunno: Like was mentioned above, what's missed is the atmosphere in the fOOD, the national media always on our nuts, and the general excitement for KSU hoops, even if our record wasn't spectacular.  We had enough going for us that we could have went out and made a hire to maintain that level and ride it for awhile.  Instead we went out and hired the first loser in the unemployment line.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
To a point where it is sad really. I want to bring the anger back, I really do, but one man can't do it himself:Crybaby:
false
I read this post while Pride started playing on my iphone.