Author Topic: :D (Wooly)  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: :D (Wooly)
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »
Man, has anybody had a better career than Jim Wooldridge?  Think of the millions he's earned sucking at coaching.  Very little stress.  Very low expectations.  Now living in SoCal, in a stress free, expectation free, safe and stable career.  bringing in a comfortable salary.  I mean, for being terrible at his job, he's made a nice career of it.

He is EMAW, success clings to him like cat hair.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
I was too young to follow this at the time, but why the eff did we hire him after his previous performance at crap schools? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wooldridge

wow. i was not aware he was 12-15 in the season prior to us hiring him. didn't tex winter really like him or something like that? what a garbage hire.
Yup. Who was our AD then?

max urick

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
It was the early days of BBSing, but the initial rumor was that Tim Floyd was coming to K-State, then it turned out to be his assistant. Tex Winter loved him and convinced Max to hire him. He was known as being an NBA assistant and "program builder" for his work at Texas State and La Tech.

Wooly was a terrible coach, no doubt about it, but for many K-Staters he was still a likable fellow. I don't blame those that hated the guy.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
I wish I had been involved in the early days of bbs'ing

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
It was the early days of BBSing, but the initial rumor was that Tim Floyd was coming to K-State, then it turned out to be his assistant. Tex Winter loved him and convinced Max to hire him. He was known as being an NBA assistant and "program builder" for his work at Texas State and La Tech.

Wooly was a terrible coach, no doubt about it, but for many K-Staters he was still a likable fellow. I don't blame those that hated the guy.
I think Floyd was going to take the job until the Bulls told him he wasn't going to be fired at the end of the season (the Bulls were like 13-48 when Asbury was fired).  It honestly looks like Ulrich had no other plan than to hire Wooldridge almost due solely on Floyd's and Tex's recommendation. 

It makes spreadsheets in a metroplex hotel room look genius in comparison. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
yes, tex recommended him (knew him from the bulls). wooly was some type of triangle offense wizard. It was an incredibly rough ridin' stupid hire on so many levels.

IIRC Fitz actually posted we were getting Tim Floyd and was flabbergasted when the plane from Chicago actually had Wooldridge. Like, we went to talk to Floyd, and he's like, "HA HA, no, seriously. You want my buddy Jim!"

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »
I remember thinking...  "Wow! This guy coached for the Bulls!"

Michael Jordan!

Track pants everywhere!

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »

Football BBS'n was pretty incredible, the early days of the Big 12 were insane with NU fans at the height of hubris and then UT and OU fans coming out of the woodwork as Mack and Bob revamped their programs.

Cat hoops bbs'n was pretty much just hoping to see if ksusys or medowlarklimey had posted anything on the Ahearn board.  There was an incredible NU troll that had a bizarre love of twisting the knife in a crap program like the basketcats were at the time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »

Football BBS'n was pretty incredible, the early days of the Big 12 were insane with NU fans at the height of hubris and then UT and OU fans coming out of the woodwork as Mack and Bob revamped their programs.

Cat hoops bbs'n was pretty much just hoping to see if ksusys or medowlarklimey had posted anything on the Ahearn board.  There was an incredible NU troll that had a bizarre love of twisting the knife in a crap program like the basketcats were at the time.

the old kstatefans.com was pre-Ahearn board. I started posting because of Nick Williams transfer rumors. :lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »

the old kstatefans.com was pre-Ahearn board. I started posting because of Nick Williams transfer rumors. :lol:

Those were the days. Ahearn board was fun with about 10 other posters.

The Nick Williams transfer was brutal.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »
Woof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
I don't think he was a bad guy, he just wasn't head coaching material.

It happens.