Author Topic: Nigel Johnson  (Read 6700 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Nigel Johnson
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
We need Nigel back. Cali peeps are seeing box scores, but that dude was $ in the off season. Looked nice on the floor. More promise than Will, that's for sure.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Classic observo from a person who doesn't watch the games

i saw the isu game and more than half of tonight's.  irregardless, i'm not claiming johnson is bad (that's michigan).  i'm saying he should transfer.  if he's behind thomas now, and he obviously is, when is that ever going to change?  thomas has a lot more room to improve than johnson does.  is he going to bump foster to the 3?  unlikely

there's already two guys in his same class ahead of him at the only positions he can play.  and i doubt if kstate is going to stop recruiting guards for the next three years.  if he wants more than a 5-10 a game, with the likely prospect of peaking in minutes during his soph year, he should transfer.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
He's never going to get as much playing time here as he could elsewhere. He's got Thomas and Foster in front of him now and I should hope we recruit over him. A red-shirt year would probably do him a lot of good.
But if he wants to stay knowing all that, I'm fine with it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
if he wants to stay knowing all that, I'm fine with it.

yeah, me too.  i like him.  i think he should transfer because it'd be in his best interest.  the other johnson is the one i don't like.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
He'd be the best reserve PG in along time tho.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:13 PM »
Classic observo from a person who doesn't watch the games

i saw the isu game and more than half of tonight's.  irregardless, i'm not claiming johnson is bad (that's michigan).  i'm saying he should transfer.  if he's behind thomas now, and he obviously is, when is that ever going to change?  thomas has a lot more room to improve than johnson does.  is he going to bump foster to the 3?  unlikely

there's already two guys in his same class ahead of him at the only positions he can play.  and i doubt if kstate is going to stop recruiting guards for the next three years.  if he wants more than a 5-10 a game, with the likely prospect of peaking in minutes during his soph year, he should transfer.

That's fair.

It depends what he wants out of his career. He could be like Irving and happy to be at a BCS school with a smaller role. (It's not like he had a bunch of other major offers) If he wants to play more, sure he can always leave for an A10 school.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
I never thought Tay was very good either. :dunno:

He developed into a nice guard to bring off the bench his JR and SR seasons. I think its nice to have guys like that, especially when you don't have a program that's rolling out a bunch of NBA players.

I like to think we could replace him with someone better that isn't an NBA caliber player.

I mean, he's basically getting Michael Orris minutes now, and no one cared when he left.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
I don't pay attention to who comes off the bench at other Big 12 schools, but does Jevon have a decent shot at Big 12 6th man of the year?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
I don't pay attention to who comes off the bench at other Big 12 schools, but does Jevon have a decent shot at Big 12 6th man of the year?

Probably not at this point. Voters pay too much attention to PPG.  :dunno:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »

He developed into a nice guard to bring off the bench his JR and SR seasons. I think its nice to have guys like that, especially when you don't have a program that's rolling out a bunch of NBA players.

I like to think we could replace him with someone better that isn't an NBA caliber player.

I mean, he's basically getting Michael Orris minutes now, and no one cared when he left.

Someone has to sit on the bench, and unless you're talking about a premiere bball school, good players aren't going to do that. They'll go somewhere where they can play. You're not going to get someone much better than Nigel to sit on the bench and be a role player. If you want to make the argument that we should be recruiting better starters, then I would agree with that.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »

Probably not at this point. Voters pay too much attention to PPG.  :dunno:
No. He's a creator and has done a great  job of doing that, but they look at offensive numbers for that category.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »

Someone has to sit on the bench, and unless you're talking about a premiere bball school, good players aren't going to do that. They'll go somewhere where they can play. You're not going to get someone much better than Nigel to sit on the bench and be a role player. If you want to make the argument that we should be recruiting better starters, then I would agree with that.

Most players don't sit on the bench for 4 years, anywhere. Tay was an exception, not the rule.

And if we can't find someone in 2015 better than Nigel that would have the opportunity to start for 2 years, we are utterly mumped.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:03 PM »

@mocat

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
Tay had great minutes his FR yr and was a great part of that run. Unfair comparison. He bought in, thinking he'd be more and accepted it his JR yr.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 12:09:13 AM »

Most players don't sit on the bench for 4 years, anywhere. Tay was an exception, not the rule.

And if we can't find someone in 2015 better than Nigel that would have the opportunity to start for 2 years, we are utterly mumped.

It is easier to convince a talented kid to come play limited minutes for one or two years, when the coach has promised them that they're next up. So, kind of an apples and oranges comparison you're making there. It's still good to have a competent player on the bench that can play a couple of different positions in a pinch though. You can either Frank that guy and burn through a bunch of guys like Myles, @95, and Gilbert...or you can try to convince a guy like Nigel to stay for four years and continue to try to recruit above him. I'm just not sure you will have a bunch of success recruiting over a guy like that, unless the starter's departure is fairly imminent.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:07 AM »

It is easier to convince a talented kid to come play limited minutes for one or two years, when the coach has promised them that they're next up. So, kind of an apples and oranges comparison you're making there. It's still good to have a competent player on the bench that can play a couple of different positions in a pinch though. You can either Frank that guy and burn through a bunch of guys like Myles, @95, and Gilbert...or you can try to convince a guy like Nigel to stay for four years and continue to try to recruit above him. I'm just not sure you will have a bunch of success recruiting over a guy like that, unless the starter's departure is fairly imminent.i

I think you should look at sys's last post more closely.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
Sys' post is irrelevant to your point. If he wants to go, then he should go. We shouldn't be pushing him out the door though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »
if oscar can't recruit over nigel ....  :frown:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
Sys' post is irrelevant to your point. If he wants to go, then he should go. We shouldn't be pushing him out the door though.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying too. If

The kid was going to GW and we came and got him. I'm sure a big part of it was because we had Jevon sitting out the first semester. Of course this is what he heard coming in...

"They basically were telling me I could come in right away and play heavy minutes and have a great impact and make a big difference."

So its possible he's pissed and he'll go closer to home to some mid major school like he originally planned.

Of course, oscar needs to recruit over him, but I also contend that programs need guys like him as back ups and at places like K-State, these are generally the types of back-ups you have and I don't have a problem with it.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »

Tay played 19 and 21 mpg as a JR and SR. He also a solid defender who developed into an above average 3PT shooter. We don't win the league last year without him.

I'm not sure this is a good comp for Nigel tho because their body types and skill sets are very different as freshman. Nigel is way ahead offensively and way behind defensively from where Tay was as a freshman.

However, they could have similar roles at the end of their careers. I hope Nigel accepts his role as the backup guard and sticks around.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2022, 10:26:50 PM »