Author Topic: Why doesn't LHC Bill Snyder like points?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why doesn't LHC Bill Snyder like points?
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
We left 5 points off the board by going for 2 and not kicking an easy field goal. Bill has been going for 4th and short all year and I don't think it has worked yet. We win this game if we get those 3 points in the first half.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't LHC Bill Snyder like points?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
I like going for two. I think it's under utilized by coaches.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
Risk/reward decisions don't always work.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
We left 5 points off the board by going for 2 and not kicking an easy field goal. Bill has been going for 4th and short all year and I don't think it has worked yet. We win this game if we get those 3 points in the first half.
He knows our defense is bad. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
The biggest issue I had with going for the 4th and short was leaving Waters at QB. Just let Sams run the ball and make a play there if you are going to go for it. Better yet, just don't go for it and take the 3 points. We aren't a good enough offense to risk not getting points in situations that we should be guaranteed at least 3.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
The biggest issue I had with going for the 4th and short was leaving Waters at QB. Just let Sams run the ball and make a play there if you are going to go for it. Better yet, just don't go for it and take the 3 points. We aren't a good enough offense to risk not getting points in situations that we should be guaranteed at least 3.

Yep, Sams has to be in there.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »

Technically 4 by not just kicking, but yeah I agree....At the time though I was all like "eff FGs. This is Baylor. We need TDs!" I'm sure most people here were thinking the same even though they will never rough ridin' admit it. It is very unlike Snyds though.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »

Technically 4 by not just kicking, but yeah I agree....At the time though I was all like "eff FGs. This is Baylor. We need TDs!" I'm sure most people here were thinking the same even though they will never rough ridin' admit it. It is very unlike Snyds though.

I said 5 because if we had those three points, there would have been no reason to go for 2 after either of those other touchdowns.

It also is very like Snyder, at least this season. He made the same horrible decision against NDSU, and it cost us that game as well.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
Not taking the 3 on the first drive just goes against old time HFIQ and Snyder should be ashamed

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
The play calls were worse than the decision. Or at least the execution.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »
Not taking the 3 on the first drive just goes against old time HFIQ and Snyder should be ashamed

Respect for Baylor/lack of trust in his defense. I just miss having the 230 pound quarterback who got those every time.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »

I said 5 because if we had those three points, there would have been no reason to go for 2 after either of those other touchdowns.

It also is very like Snyder, at least this season. He made the same horrible decision against NDSU, and it cost us that game as well.

No, you were right. I forgot about the second 2 pt attempt that we tried with Hubert because we had to chase the points we missed with the other attempt. Snyder and Cantelli lost this game before Sams threw the interception. (Cantelli shouldn't have missed the 41 yard FG)
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't LHC LHC Bill Snyder like points?
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
One of those 4th down failures was play calling.  With Waters in (non-running QB), the play call is option to the short side of the field.  The RB "threat" was Hubert who thinks his dancing is going to fake some guy out of his shoes.  All on 4th and 1.  Why you wouldn't run a QB sneak or FB handoff up the middle for one effin' yard is ridiculous.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »

No, you were right. I forgot about the second 2 pt attempt that we tried with Hubert because we had to chase the points we missed with the other attempt. Snyder and Cantelli lost this game before Sams threw the interception. (Cantelli shouldn't have missed the 41 yard FG)
cantelli would have been feeling good if he would have got to kick the early 3 and would have hit that 41

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »

cantelli would have been feeling good if he would have got to kick the early 3 and would have hit that 41

except that Cantelle did kick two earlier 3's

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »

Respect for Baylor/lack of trust in his defense. I just miss having the 230 pound quarterback who got those every time.

I have just never seen a close ballgame where 3 points would not have made an enormous difference. We need to remember that we were not at the goal line, so we aren't really talking about 3 points vs 7 here. If we convert that first down, we still would have to move another 20 yards to get the 7. The risk just doesn't outweigh the reward. In hindsight, the risk was losing the game and the reward was winning the game by a slightly more comfortable margin than if we just get the 3. It was early in the game and the score was still close. As a coach, you have to have at least some faith in your team to make some plays and get some stops. You will get blown out if that doesn't happen, regardless of whether or not you score a touchdown there.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
Slightly OT but managing our timeouts has become just LOL at this point. I think we went into the fourth without one.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
Slightly OT but managing our timeouts has become just LOL at this point. I think we went into the fourth without one.

Yeah, calling the timeout before the 2 point conversion was just mindnumbingly stupid. The TO is worth more than the 1 point we would lose (gain actually, as it turned out) if we get backed up and have to kick the extra point.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Yeah, calling the timeout before the 2 point conversion was just mindnumbingly stupid.

are you talking about this week or last week?  yes

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
I thought not going for it late in the 4th was the worse decision.  I know you should take points to tie, but we don't have a big legged, reliable kicker, and Sams was running at will.  We were a huge home dog with all the momentum: play to win just like you did the rest of the game.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »

Any thoughts on having Gronk take the handoff if Waters is in the game on 4th down?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Any thoughts on having Gronk take the handoff if Waters is in the game on 4th down?

Tempted to throw this guy at that situation:
http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/adam_weber_844639.html

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
Handoffs to fullbacks are pretty awful plays

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 12:48:11 AM »
I like going for two. I think it's under utilized by coaches.

Well, lets ask the stats dorks what the numbers say. Is it better to take the risk and just do it after every touchdown?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
Handoffs to fullbacks are pretty awful plays

Sometimes.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang