Author Topic: Hey guys, I was just thinking.  (Read 2678 times)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I was just thinking.
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
Maybe the coaches watch Jake at practice and when he's unstoppable against our defense they think he can do the same things in real games?

Sort of like when I coach 5 year old soccer, I always do this thing where I dribble the ball around and shoot easy goals on them and they can never stop me because they're so small and terrible.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Hey guys, I was just thinking.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
Maybe the coaches watch Jake at practice and when he's unstoppable against our defense they think he can do the same things in real games?

Sort of like when I coach 5 year old soccer, I always do this thing where I dribble the ball around and shoot easy goals on them and they can never stop me because they're so small and terrible.

But, wouldn't Sams totally destroy our D?  Can you see Slaughter trying to tackle Sams in the open field?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »

But, wouldn't Sams totally destroy our D?  Can you see Slaughter trying to tackle Sams in the open field?
They don't let Sams throw in practice, either. This allows Dorian to play up on the line and Slaughter doesn't even get a chance. Dorian sacks Sams like every other play.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
I'm glad someone is finally asking the hard hitting questions of our time.
:dance:

catzacker

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »
here's what i've been wondering:  Why do they want to throw the ball so badly?  Is it because of the spaghetti brain thing from last year?  It seems like since OSU we’ve really wanted to throw it.  I dunno, I haven’t looked at our attempts since that point compared to prior to that point.  It’s just my recollection we made a conscious decision to throw it rather than run it (relatively speaking).  Sure, defenses will try to take away  your strengths – but is it a strength if you can’t do it otherwise?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

I'm picturing it now, and it's  :lol: and  :bawl: at the same time

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
here's what i've been wondering:  Why do they want to throw the ball so badly?  Is it because of the spaghetti brain thing from last year?  It seems like since OSU we’ve really wanted to throw it.  I dunno, I haven’t looked at our attempts since that point compared to prior to that point.  It’s just my recollection we made a conscious decision to throw it rather than run it (relatively speaking).  Sure, defenses will try to take away  your strengths – but is it a strength if you can’t do it otherwise?

I think this goes back to being confused by practice.  Can you imagine Jake Waters just standing back there like an NFL stud and completing 99% of his passes and throwing deep bombs on Dorian all day?  I'm sure he just looks like a juggernaut of a passing machine. Maybe the coaches don't really understand that our defense is horrible. 

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »

I think it goes back to the fact that dating back to the end of last season we haven't been able to run the ball worth a crap, and so we have had to pass. Pretty simple really.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

I think it goes back to the fact that dating back to the end of last season we haven't been able to run the ball worth a crap, and so we have had to pass. Pretty simple really.

In 8 of our last 12 games (starting with @ISU last year) we've averaged less than 4 yards per carry. Our average overall in that 12 game stretch is 3.97 YPC.

catzacker

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

In 8 of our last 12 games (starting with @ISU last year) we've averaged less than 4 yards per carry. Our average overall in that 12 game stretch is 3.97 YPC.

Again, I haven't looked at this - but recollection is that our rushing numbers tailed off towards the end of '11 as well.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »

That's an alarming statistic.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

That is bad......it seemed to as the year went on, CK looked slower and slower, which isn't surprising considering the number of carries he had....unless we just went up against teams that looked faster, ie. Baylor/Oregon....
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

catzacker

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
In '12, the top 3 rush defenses we faced last year were in our final 5 games, and since ISU last year we faced 4 of the top 6 rush defenses on our schedule.  sorry for the sloppy table.

Team   Rush D Nat'l Rank
Miami (FL)   112
North Texas   64
#6 Oklahoma   89
Kansas   91
Iowa St   75
#13 West Virginia   60
#14 Texas Tech   74
#24 Oklahoma St   37
TCU   10
Baylor   76
#18 Texas   88
#4 Oregon*   45

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »
Let's look at some games:

2012 OU:  Offense generated 362 Yards, and scored 17 points.   The key to that game was TOP-34 mins, and 3rd down conversions: 50%

2012 TCU:  Offense generated 260 yards of offense, and scored 23 points.   Really an anemic effort, game won on defense.

2012 Baylor:  Offense generated 362 total yards and 24 points.  A horrible 286 yards passing on 51 attempts, only 5.6 yard per completion and an even worse 2.5 yards per rush.   Terrible offensive performance.

2012 Oregon: 282 yards of offense and 17 points.  132 Net Yards Rushing . . . again, a complete disjointed and inept overall offensive performance.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »

2012 OU:  Offense generated 362 Yards, and scored 17 points.   The key to that game was TOP-34 mins, and 3rd down conversions: 50%

2012 TCU:  Offense generated 260 yards of offense, and scored 23 points.   Really an anemic effort, game won on defense.

2012 Baylor:  Offense generated 362 total yards and 24 points.  A horrible 286 yards passing on 51 attempts, only 5.6 yard per completion and an even worse 2.5 yards per rush.   Terrible offensive performance.

2012 Oregon: 282 yards of offense and 17 points.  132 Net Yards Rushing . . . again, a complete disjointed and inept overall offensive performance.

this supports what i've been saying for quite some time, that our offense is incredibly overrated by our fans.  our offense sucks.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »

this supports what i've been saying for quite some time, that our offense is incredibly overrated by our fans.  our offense sucks.

Yep, over looked by the fact that we hold on to the ball, the defense last year was better and the relative weakness of the Big 12, and the fact that in 2011 and 2012 oppossing coaches tended to lose their minds when playing K-State.

There's simply no way that the Snyder-Dimel-Miller trifecta will allow the K-State offense get into any kind of rhythm, and I'm sorry, until further notice the O-Line and it's coach may be the most overrated bunch on the whole team.    They've been clowned to many times in the last 7 or 8 games to say otherwise.  However, put part of that on the Snyder-Dimel-Miller trifecta and their hyper anal "get into the right play" scheme and crap game plans.