Author Topic: Waters  (Read 46202 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Waters
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Another play that has been largely taken off the table post-Auburn (and I suspect it will stay that way) is the fake QB draw seam pass.  It was foiled by Tech on what should've been an INT and I think teams are keying that much better now and are game planning for it.  That provided a lot of 20+ yard plays in the past to TE and FB.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »
In the past, what percent of the QB rushing yards were designed QB running plays vs this year?
When it's a scramble, it feels like a busted play that turned out ok. Designed runs that turn out good look awesome from the beginning.

Gonna win 'em all!

Waters had one designed run that looked just fantastic against Texas Tech.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
Honestly it's probably because of the Iowa State + Auburn games.  We saw the offense just disappear and our run game evaporate. And even now, nothing "looks" easy. Waters looks like he has to run for his life a lot and then completions are challenged or require a great catch. It rightly or wrongly colors how the offense is perceived.

Against ISU we had a bad stretch of not finishing drives that started with the FGs early in the game, but we moved the ball at a nice clip.

Here are some of our notable numbers against FBS teams:

Points per play:
UTEP 1.036
Tech 0.556
ISU 0.457
Aub 0.200

Points per drive:
UTEP 4.46
Tech 4.09
ISU 2.67
Aub 1.27

Yards per play:
UTEP 8.05
ISU 6.73
Tech 6.60
Aub 4.07

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 07, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »

In the past, what percent of the QB rushing yards were designed QB running plays vs this year?
When it's a scramble, it feels like a busted play that turned out ok. Designed runs that turn out good look awesome from the beginning.

Gonna win 'em all!

That seems about right. (I think you are agreeing with the point?)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
_FAN can you take a look at this 2nd & 25 play just before half?  When I was watching it live I had the impression that it was a called run, but it looked like a screen pass/QB draw with Waters being led by 3 linemen.  After thinking about it later it occurred to me how hard that would be to accomplish.  It appears the playside DE did us a favor and went inside.  I think Jones was there to help if the DE went outside.  Anyway, it is a very nifty play design that got us a big gain against an aggressive pass rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA6qyRemM4#t=81m40s
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

That seems about right. (I think you are agreeing with the point?)

Gonna win 'em all!

I think I was. Waters seems like he needs more space than a typical designed QB run allows, but he does have nice speed and occasionally pulls the designed plays off nicely. I appreciate that he is able to extend pass plays with his legs, though. It's a nice ability to have, especially given his tendency to hold onto the ball way too long in the pocket.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
_FAN can you take a look at this 2nd & 25 play just before half?  When I was watching it live I had the impression that it was a called run, but it looked like a screen pass/QB draw with Waters being led by 3 linemen.  After thinking about it later it occurred to me how hard that would be to accomplish.  It appears the playside DE did us a favor and went inside.  I think Jones was there to help if the DE went outside.  Anyway, it is a very nifty play design that got us a big gain against an aggressive pass rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA6qyRemM4#t=81m40s

It looks like a designed run to me and yes the oline essentially use screen pass blocking principles to set it up. It looks to me like they thought they could influence #10 to rush inside, which opens up the play. Our RT widens as he starts his pass drop and #10 took the bait. We were counting on Tech's undisciplined play from their front and they played right into our hands. It wasn't pretty, but Jones cut block slowed the Tech LB enough for Jake to get out.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
I wish we would do some screens with Judah. 
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
I wish we would do some screens with Judah.
He would forget his route and just go deep.It's why he's not more in the mix

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Kinda nice to not destroy the qb's shoulder by using a rb near the goal line! :popcorn:
:thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
Canary gets it.  Every cat fan here is a best friend blood brother forever to all other cat fans.
But we do like a little "Bread" with our blood sandwich.  :cheers:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
Serious question _fan, why does this offense "feel" bad? The stats show that it's pretty decent, but nearly every drive leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There is something unfulfilling. It's possible that it's just I don't like waters, but I don't think that's it. All of Kleins 15 minute drives were more exciting to me.

Dunno

I have no idea.

The top 20 numbers for efficiency I posted only include our FBS games as well, so Stephen F Austin is not included.

The yards per play numbers aren't as good this year (like #33 or something at 6.1 YPP) and we're not quite as explosive, but as long as the efficiency numbers stay solid we're going to win games.

That's the primary problem.  We don't seem to have the home run ability that we showed at times last year.

On the flip side, we're 8th in the nation in 3rd down conversion %.  We're currently at 50.77% on third down conversions.  That's #1 in the Big 12.  For comparison, OU is 8th in the league right now in 3rd down conversion % at just over 41%.

If you look at the number of long plays from scrimmage, we're 50th in plays of 10 yards or more and firmly in the 60-90 camp for anything over 20+ yards.

Also, in the last few games, we haven't had to march down the field as much because of how much we're forcing other teams to punt and how good Lockett has been at returning them.  , and we're going to sustain drives until we get into the red zone and convert.Considering that we're #2 in the nation in punt return average (24.7 per return), if it's getting kicked to us, we're going to have good field position
Personally, I blame Sean for this travesty.  :whistle1:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
What if our next QB has the last name "Milks"

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
What if our next QB has the last name "Milks"

Signs and t-shirts would be amazing

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Or like if Texas had a QB named milks.

Tonight on ABC! We finally settle the argument of Waters vs. Milks!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »

:dunno:   :excited:

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »
Serious question _fan, why does this offense "feel" bad? The stats show that it's pretty decent, but nearly every drive leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There is something unfulfilling. It's possible that it's just I don't like waters, but I don't think that's it. All of Kleins 15 minute drives were more exciting to me.

Dunno

Maybe it's the lack of flash that Waters provides. He looks weak when he runs despite the fact he's been doing it somewhat respectable.

I think we should bitch about our average tailbacks more than Waters.   None of them can seem to make something happen on their own.  I see no good cuts out of our backs

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »

Dunno

Maybe it's the lack of flash that Waters provides. He looks weak when he runs despite the fact he's been doing it somewhat respectable.

I think we should bitch about our average tailbacks more than Waters.   None of them can seem to make something happen on their own.  I see no good cuts out of our backs

Yeah, other than Jones in the wildcat near the goal-line. They are very average.  :frown:

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Dunno

Yeah, other than Jones in the wildcat near the goal-line. They are very average.  :frown:

I would honestly consider them below average.  I thought Hubert was average and I've been missing him a lot this season. Maybe the line is mostly to blame but outside of DRobs 1 run against UTEP I haven't really seen them do anything special.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »

The headline after the game would be "K-State Milks Bevo".

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »

Dunno

I would honestly consider them below average.  I thought Hubert was average and I've been missing him a lot this season. Maybe the line is mostly to blame but outside of DRobs 1 run against UTEP I haven't really seen them do anything special.

demarcus is just not good at football

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »

Dunno

demarcus is just not good at football

I'm continually hoping that Jones takes at least 5-6 more carries a game from Robinson as we move into conference play.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »
I think Jones is a solid back so far. He's at >5 YPC for the season and only has one game where he averaged below 5 YPC. The last few games he's carried it around 12 times per game, I'd like to see that around 15-16. He's a solid back.

Robinson had a great carry against UTEP, but he has 3 games at <4 YPC and only one game over 5 YPC.

Jones isn't going to run away from people, but he's got solid burst and consistently gets vertical. The Auburn game was the only game where he tried to bounce runs and he paid for it, but I think he's learned he's got to be a north-south runner. He's built a lot different, but I have no doubt he can be a Hickson/Lawrence level back.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
_FAN did you happen to watch the Oregon/Az game last week?  It seemed like they took that FB/TE seam pass and added another wrinkle.  IIRC they basically ran that same play just executed it running the option instead of a draw.  Looked extremely difficult to defend.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »

Dunno

I also do not get a warm fuzzy when watching our offense.  To me, it is the lack of open receivers downfield that is problematic.  We have not stretched the field.  Thus, we eek out first downs without big plays.  Thus far, we have done that very efficiently.  But perhaps we all sense that better defenses will, like Auburn, stack the box and that our lack of athleticism at WR (besides Lockett) will stall our offense.

Really wish J.Jones would develop.  He is very fast.