Author Topic: Top 5 Underrated Football jobs  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Top 5 Underrated Football jobs
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
1. Kansas State: shiny new facilities that keep getting bigger and better and a fan base willing to shell out to win.
2. UCLA: Weather, beaches, and deep talent pool all around you.
3. Arkansas: Good fan base and just being in the SEC helps you compete for the the best talent in the nation.
4. Wisconsin: Your the only big dog in the state when it comes to D1 and the alumni pockets are deep.
5. Kansas: its not the facilities, its not the fanbase, it's the fact that you can come in and suck at your job for a couple years and then leave with major bank.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Underrated Football jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Actually I think all 5 of those are rated properly.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
I am going to go with a formula here...

QUALITIES OF A GOOD JOB (in random order):

- Good pay
- Fun
- Emotionally Rewarding
- Growth (both at current job and chance for advancement)

You don't need all of them for a good job, but you need most of them, or nail the crap out of one or two of them

5 Underrated College Coaching Jobs (in no particular order):

Iowa State:  It's a "BCS" job.  These rough ridin' hay seeds will pay you decent, worship the ground you walk on, and excuse every loss.  No outrageous donors to deal with.  No media (could be interpreted as a "bad" thing, if you want to get a bigger job).

Stanford:  The pay sucks.  But, you get to walk into the living room and look parents in the eye and honestly tell them "your son will not be able to receive a better education at any place in America."  You have the Leland Stanford Jr. Marching Band, the gorgeous location, and the joy of being surrounded by heady people.

Wisconsin:  They worship you.  The most enthusiastic student section in America.  The people are nice.  The pay is good.  The endowment for other sports is great, so you aren't footing the entire bill.  It's a great town.  The tradition is good enough to get kids to pick up the phone, but no so much to be overbearing from the alumni.

Kansas:  HUGE pay check.  Great facilities.  Good conference.  LOW expectations.  Had two rivals; one left the conference, the other is within 5 years of retiring the only coach who has ever won in the entire history of the school.  A truly great job for someone who wants a paycheck.

Penn State:  ENORMOUS fan base who has totally been put in their place.  Great pay.  Great facilities.  Great location. Great conference.  Great alumni. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
1. Is def Stanford great school/location. Recent success not much pressure amazing recruit ability for any football player who has any brain at all.

2. Louisville recent success great following for a basketba first school and Papa Johns money behind you. Moving to a conference that you could rule (ACC).

3. TCU in a football hot bed in a power conference that is currently in a transition period. Sitting in the DFW metro and sexy uniforms

4. Wisconsin they seem to always find a way to be pretty decent in the big 10?

5. Kansas a monster has been built before could built again

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
1. Florida State. Easy conf to win, great recruiting grounds, respect in the polls, realistic expectations.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »
1. Is def Stanford great school/location. Recent success not much pressure amazing recruit ability for any football player who has any brain at all.

2. Louisville recent success great following for a basketba first school and Papa Johns money behind you. Moving to a conference that you could rule (ACC).

3. TCU in a football hot bed in a power conference that is currently in a transition period. Sitting in the DFW metro and sexy uniforms

4. Wisconsin they seem to always find a way to be pretty decent in the big 10?

5. Kansas a monster has been built before could built again

Thanks, Scott. That gave me a lot to think about and analyze.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 12:00:18 AM »
Any school that has a decent athletic budget because those academic types went on to make billions of dollars, where basketball is king, and you're in a power conference. Schools like Louisville, Kentucky, and UNC are prime examples. You just have to keep from totally sucking ass, and you are a stone's throw away from some really good recruits. Also, if you start to do well, then donors will start tossing money at you like it's going out of style. Win/win/win scenario (credit to Michael Scott for the "win/win/win scenario").
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:59 AM »
1. Florida State is easily number one for the reasons eastcat listed. I mean, even eastcat noticed these things.

2. Iowa State for the reasons Pete listed, although recruiting won't be fun.

3. NC State because of location to recruits, conference will make schedules pretty easy, and those fans have been on the brink of being good in both sports (yet still completely irrelevant) for so long that they are ready to latch onto the first good team that moves.

4. Louisville. It's probably the best job of the 5 but it's rated higher.

5. Rutgers will be in an overrated league very soon and if you get anywhere near relevance you will be able to recruit anyone in the northeast region to play for you.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
I am going to go with a formula here...

QUALITIES OF A GOOD JOB (in random order):

- Good pay
- Fun
- Emotionally Rewarding
- Growth (both at current job and chance for advancement)

You don't need all of them for a good job, but you need most of them, or nail the crap out of one or two of them

5 Underrated College Coaching Jobs (in no particular order):

Iowa State:  It's a "BCS" job.  These rough ridin' hay seeds will pay you decent, worship the ground you walk on, and excuse every loss.  No outrageous donors to deal with.  No media (could be interpreted as a "bad" thing, if you want to get a bigger job).

Stanford:  The pay sucks.  But, you get to walk into the living room and look parents in the eye and honestly tell them "your son will not be able to receive a better education at any place in America."  You have the Leland Stanford Jr. Marching Band, the gorgeous location, and the joy of being surrounded by heady people.

Wisconsin:  They worship you.  The most enthusiastic student section in America.  The people are nice.  The pay is good.  The endowment for other sports is great, so you aren't footing the entire bill.  It's a great town.  The tradition is good enough to get kids to pick up the phone, but no so much to be overbearing from the alumni.

Kansas:  HUGE pay check.  Great facilities.  Good conference.  LOW expectations.  Had two rivals; one left the conference, the other is within 5 years of retiring the only coach who has ever won in the entire history of the school.  A truly great job for someone who wants a paycheck.

Penn State:  ENORMOUS fan base who has totally been put in their place.  Great pay.  Great facilities.  Great location. Great conference.  Great alumni.
Nope- its a shining rock in the middle of a giant turd

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
FSU, Louisville, maybe Michigan State (I don't even know who their coach is) but not a whole lot of jobs are underrated

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »
What are the thoughts on Georgia Tech?  Good program historically but with a slight recent slide in results, expectations might be relatively low...pretty good location...I'd assume good facilities...easy conference to win?

Just spitballin' here so that we, as a group, can come up with the best list we possibly can!
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
What are the thoughts on Georgia Tech?  Good program historically but with a slight recent slide in results, expectations might be relatively low...pretty good location...I'd assume good facilities...easy conference to win?

Just spitballin' here so that we, as a group, can come up with the best list we possibly can!

I kinda forget they exist

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
I kinda forget they exist

It's because their current coach has turned them into the ACC version of an academy school.