Author Topic: FYI Seaton Hall . . .  (Read 19173 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: FYI Seaton Hall . . .
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
somebody post some Seaton renderings. 

Does this video represent what's actually been designed? 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
What good is the latest and greatest teaching "technology" when over half the engineering professors struggle to turn on an overhead projector?  Christ.     

The main thing is outside aesthetics and addressing over-crowding within classrooms and labs (and just having a computer for students to access).  K-State isn't MIT, and that's a good thing.

Top 50 research university isn't happening unless the university is proactive in the way the new generation is educated.  Technology is and will always be the future.  If you read the link I posted below, you will see how the different style of teaching is connecting to the newer generation of higher-ed students.

As far as BYOD type stuff, video and audio will always reliably distribute through wired connections (since a lot of it is HD content).  The wireless video/audio content presentation is not here yet because it is too unreliable.  So classrooms are adapted to BYOD through wired video matrices.  Some places have wireless video distribution, but it's powerpoint type content only.  Plenty of instructors like to distribute video and clips in their lectures so wireless can sometimes limit this. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
Can you imagine engi-nerds in the scale-up model?  PPD was bad enough. 

Well PPD was a completely worthless class.

RIP, PPD!  :billdance:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
What good is the latest and greatest teaching "technology" when over half the engineering professors struggle to turn on an overhead projector?  Christ.     

The main thing is outside aesthetics and addressing over-crowding within classrooms and labs (and just having a computer for students to access).  K-State isn't MIT, and that's a good thing.

Top 50 research university isn't happening unless the university is proactive in the way the new generation is educated.  Technology is and will always be the future.  If you read the link I posted below, you will see how the different style of teaching is connecting to the newer generation of higher-ed students.

As far as BYOD type stuff, video and audio will always reliably distribute through wired connections (since a lot of it is HD content).  The wireless video/audio content presentation is not here yet because it is too unreliable.  So classrooms are adapted to BYOD through wired video matrices.  Some places have wireless video distribution, but it's powerpoint type content only.  Plenty of instructors like to distribute video and clips in their lectures so wireless can sometimes limit this.

I'm having a pretty tough time making a connection between classroom technology and research. Are you saying that our enrollment is going to drop if we don't make our classrooms more like high schools, therefore we will lose tuition dollars?

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
BTW, yeah "technology wise" ksu engg might be behind because we dont have collaborative classrooms, but its also based on teacher lecture style. 90% of profs in engineering are actually receiving reviews from students above 75% overall, teaching style included. why would they move from chalkboard and notes to ipad and expensive stuff if they don't need it? yeah, sure, there are some classes where you NEED technology (electrical design labs, programming, graphics) but for the most part its actually not preferred. instead they're going to have way more collaboration areas and classrooms where groups or teams can work together, as well as greatly expand the peer tutoring area. Phase 4 will also focus on recruitment... right now you walk into the building and your like wtf where do i go. now there will be a welcome center right near the deans office.

also, the design teams also get a huge help. they all get basically the whole basement to themselves, not having to share it with classes, and they all get they're own "bays" with more collaboration area. AND computer science finally gets to join the big boy engineers over so that we have one building for (almost) the whole college.

really, the expansion is not about advancing technology, it's about creating more usable room for a growing college. and its a terrible argument to say its going to suck because there wont be smartboards everywhere. that's not what teachers OR students want. they'll have access to wifi, they'll have access to computers, printing, scanning...etc. and that's all that is highly sought after now.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

I'm having a pretty tough time making a connection between classroom technology and research. Are you saying that our enrollment is going to drop if we don't make our classrooms more like high schools, therefore we will lose tuition dollars?

funding for research is 99% from grants that are exclusive from state $$. the budget of the expansion is backboned by engineering funds+state $$, but also dependent on a couple elites that want the new building named after them.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

The Master Plan for engineering is to focus on better faculty, more scholarships, increasing enrollment, more MSs, PhDs, etc.  Technology is extremely important, and I agree with where you are coming from.  I've seen how progressive the CoE has been the last 10 years or so, and I like it.  But I don't agree with dropping a bunch of cash into technology that only a tiny fraction of the profs and students are going to utilize and won't overly benefit large groups of students.  I'd rather have state-of-the-art labs and computer labs than the ability to swipe a drawing onto someone's iPad.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

Come on, WLAN's are pretty much there, it's just a matter of deploying it correctly and admittedly making sure you have the latest and greatest.   But as Pad/Tablet technology evolves and continues to move the traditional lap top out of the way, future college students aren't going to want to mess with Ethernet cords, if they're not there already.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »

The Master Plan for engineering is to focus on better faculty, more scholarships, increasing enrollment, more MSs, PhDs, etc.  Technology is extremely important, and I agree with where you are coming from.  I've seen how progressive the CoE has been the last 10 years or so, and I like it.  But I don't agree with dropping a bunch of cash into technology that only a tiny fraction of the profs and students are going to utilize and won't overly benefit large groups of students.  I'd rather have state-of-the-art labs and computer labs than the ability to swipe a drawing onto someone's iPad.

and retention. that's actually their biggest push now.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
solution- make the engineering students take MIS.  that stands for Management Information Systems.  in my day, every student in BAPP had to take it. 

it taught us- basic functions in the core technology curriculum- excel, access, powerpoint (my presentation was on mt.dew  :cheers: ) - we also had to make a functioning webpage using hyper-text markup language (mine was a cats football website) - my teacher?  Brian Kovar.  My grade?  A+  bring it haters. 

if you know that stuff, you can run the world's economy from your smartphone.  top 50 university?  how about top -50? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

Separate the technology discussion and the active learning discussion.  Not adapting to the new active learning model (scale-up) could (over time...years obviously) affect how KSU is perceived as an educational provider.  Lecture classrooms won't go away, but they will fade and not be as relevant in the learning environment.  The active learning classrooms require the technology in order for the rooms to properly work. 

Now KSU also may have a large advantage in lab technology, etc. but the classroom is where the initial engagement starts.

Additionally, it could potentially (over time) allow schools like KU to gain ground in colleges (like engineering) that compete for students in and out of state.  Students and professors are the ones that do the research right? 

Now get outside of engineering and look at schools like business.  If the Business school half-asses their new building when they could have made it state-of-the-art, then they could potentially lose students to UMKC, KU, etc.  The school of business is not as "lab intrinsic" as the School of Engineering.  So a lot of the arguments stated in this thread don't work.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

Separate the technology discussion and the active learning discussion.  Not adapting to the new active learning model (scale-up) could (over time...years obviously) affect how KSU is perceived as an educational provider.  Lecture classrooms won't go away, but they will fade and not be as relevant in the learning environment.  The active learning classrooms require the technology in order for the rooms to properly work. 

Now KSU also may have a large advantage in lab technology, etc. but the classroom is where the initial engagement starts.

Additionally, it could potentially (over time) allow schools like KU to gain ground in colleges (like engineering) that compete for students in and out of state. Students and professors are the ones that do the research right? 

Now get outside of engineering and look at schools like business.  If the Business school half-asses their new building when they could have made it state-of-the-art, then they could potentially lose students to UMKC, KU, etc.  The school of business is not as "lab intrinsic" as the School of Engineering.  So a lot of the arguments stated in this thread don't work.

highly composed of post grad students and profs, very minimal undergrads.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

Come on, WLAN's are pretty much there, it's just a matter of deploying it correctly and admittedly making sure you have the latest and greatest.   But as Pad/Tablet technology evolves and continues to move the traditional lap top out of the way, future college students aren't going to want to mess with Ethernet cords, if they're not there already.

All Ethernet connections are obviously over AP's.  UMKC didn't even run wired Ethernet connections.  As far as video distribution, it is all still done over wired connections.  iPads and tablets are connected from an HDMI cable at the tables which go back to giant video switchers in order to distribute to all displays in the room.  Wirelessly transmitting a YouTube video from someone's tablet to 30+ displays in the room is not reliable. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »

All Ethernet connections are obviously over AP's.  UMKC didn't even run wired Ethernet connections.  As far as video distribution, it is all still done over wired connections.  iPads and tablets are connected from an HDMI cable at the tables which go back to giant video switchers in order to distribute to all displays in the room.  Wirelessly transmitting a YouTube video from someone's tablet to 30+ displays in the room is not reliable.

It's not reliable if you have a crap WLAN.   Just using this as an example, but you could put about 4 to 6 of the latest and greatest AP's from a well known vendor in a classroom for what it would cost to put 30 HDMI drops in.   

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
Yes and no.  If the content is still going to displays you will still need video infrastructure anyways.  If you are talking about pushing to other BYOD's (essentially streaming) then that can bring upon some major bandwidth usage that will exceed price of video/audio infrastructure over time.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
As someone who has been engaged in providing technology solutions for schools (but not things like White Boards) I can't tell you how many times I've talked to IT staffs who just roll their eyes at things like Interactive White Boards and group collaboration and how the money that pays for those robs money from core IT infrastructure improvements and upgrades.    Maintaining those systems with only a finite number of human resources becomes more cumbersome as they age, and maintenance contracts are expensive. 

IT Staffs would much rather improve core connectivity, improve things like the WLAN experience to facilite a secure BYOD environment, as well as upgrade server capacity or the cloud experience that can drive content to the individual user.

Right, but none of the money for a new building is used to improve core infrastructure.  All maintenance contracts would initially be rolled into the cost of the building, and not into the campus IT's yearly budget.  And for future maintenance contracts, the school of "x" could just as easily roll it into their budget instead of it coming out of the general IT budget. 

My whole point is K-State is KSTATEO'ing this up before the building is even built.  They will be behind on classroom experience compared to other universities when the doors first open.  Again, a lot of it is driven from the college so maybe fingers should be pointed at the School of Engineering and not Kansas State University for half-assing it.  I hope that the K-State's school of business visits new higher education buildings before breaking ground on a $30mill building to ensure they are staying competitive.  Lecture classrooms are becoming the thing of the past.

Pretty heads on here guys.  The core infrastructure is usually the last thing that comes to mind when these new buildings are built.  And seeing as how it's not factored into the budget for these new buildings and technological classrooms it becomes pretty damn difficult to facilitate the changes and therefore someone is left with egg on their faces when it doesn't work.

Case in point being this sememster a professor decided that he wanted to use a "clicker" service in his normal classroom activities (sort of a gameshow type question and response app where students use their phones to buzz in with correct answers).  It's something that would have been a great idea but unfortunately this wouldn't work in an area that didn't support the wireless density for a class of this size (150 or so students). 

There are changes being made across campus in regards to technology classrooms, but you can't snap your fingers and turn a room in Thompson to a tech class overnight.  It takes time and money.

The good news is K-State was awarded a major grant that will allow us to overhaul most of our core networking infrastructure and push us into some pretty cool new technology like SDN and Openflow.  Those changes are going to start happening here pretty soon.

Already the West Stadium Center is one of the first sports venues in the country to offer 802.11ac capable wifi. I know that there are talks to try to come up with a solution to offer these services throughout all stadium and Bramlage as well.

What immediately come to mind is Fielder Auditorium and their hard lined Ethernet ports built into the desks, obviously no one one uses those within a few years after they're installed because of wifi. I know they served a purpose for a bit but now it's just a wasted (albeit fairly small) cost. Hopefully they're thinking of future proofing, or at least being flexible to allow for future modifications with the new buildings so they can stay relevant longer.

I graduated fairly recently and I wired in every time I was in Fiedler. The connection was smoking compared to the wireless in the engineering complex. Alot of the time the restrictions on the wired connections were looser than the wifi.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »
It's not reliable if you have a crap WLAN.   Just using this as an example, but you could put about 4 to 6 of the latest and greatest AP's from a well known vendor in a classroom for what it would cost to put 30 HDMI drops in.

Yes and no.  If the content is still going to displays you will still need video infrastructure anyways.  If you are talking about pushing to other BYOD's (essentially streaming) then that can bring upon some major bandwidth usage that will exceed price of video/audio infrastructure over time.

It would barely be feasible to do a wired approach for 30 students.  try a class of 50-300 students.  It has to be a wireless delivery system (.com ?)  as it's the only feasible solution.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

It would barely be feasible to do a wired approach for 30 students.  try a class of 50-300 students.  It has to be a wireless delivery system (.com ?)  as it's the only feasible solution.

For Ethernet absolutely.  For video distribution, no.  Wired Ethernet does not make sense at tables for students.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
The WLAN vendors are rolling out a whole line of products and management systems for the high density environment.   They're delivering real time HD video to BYOD devices in professional and some college football stadiums now.    That's how NFL teams are selling an "at home" experience to keep people buying tickets.

I'm sorry, but a wired solution in a high density environment, particularly one that involves single use drops (like HDMI) would be a tough sell if I were an IT director.  I would envision walking into the room in a few years and seeing a lot of wire in walls and ceilings that wasn't used anymore.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
Seaton Renderings.  now. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
went back into the MNE lair a couple months ago and was fairly dissapointed to see it exactly as I left it (but with 4 more years of age and deterioration).

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
derb is so elite

Best part about shacking up with a Ford Hall filly was going over to the Derb to eat instead of Kramer.  Then again any reason to get the hell away from Marlatt Penitentiary was fine.

Can confirm.
Or you can have the best of both worlds and live in Haymaker :love:

Haymaker :love: :love:
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
I worked in ITCS as a student in college and still know some folks over there.  KSU has some very nice technology classrooms now, the entire Leadership building is chock full of fancy stuff and they just spent like $2 million each on Umberger 105 and Bluemont 101 in complete renos.  I mean I don't know any specifics so Kilt could be 100% right, and probably is, but from what I've seen KSU has some pretty cool stuff.  :idk:
emaw

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
Collabo /group learning is the worst.  My calc2 rec teacher is doing this and i've already decided to forfeit the participation grade and not go because it's a wastee of time.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite