Author Topic: FYI Seaton Hall . . .  (Read 19172 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FYI Seaton Hall . . .
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
K-State is asking the Regents for money to develop the architectural plans to renovate and expand Seaton Hall. 

Also, K-State is asking the Regents to roll up improvements to Kramer (I think it was Kramer) and the construction of a new residence hall into one $70 million dollar package (funded by K-State).

K-State is also asking the Regents to approve about $15 million in financing to go along with $35 million in private funds for the new Business building. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: FYI Seaton Hall . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
 :Woot:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
more like Stud Hall

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
Kramer definitely needs the renovation. Less than half the size of the Derb at the moment

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
derb is so elite
emaw

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
but what about our admission rates?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Kramer definitely needs the renovation. Less than half the size of the Derb at the moment

Kramer needs to be demolished and just start over with a 20-story superawesome dorm skyscraper. Isn't there a lack of dorm space right now? bomb that disgusting dark red pile of bricks and build a shiny new limestone-y one

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

Kramer needs to be demolished and just start over with a 20-story superawesome dorm skyscraper. Isn't there a lack of dorm space right now? bomb that disgusting dark red pile of bricks and build a shiny new limestone-y one
my understanding is that the new dorm will be on the old Kramer footprint.  Others can correct me here.

Maybe Eisenhower can get a rough ridin' HVAC system that works.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
derb is so elite

Best part about shacking up with a Ford Hall filly was going over to the Derb to eat instead of Kramer.  Then again any reason to get the hell away from Marlatt Penitentiary was fine.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
but what about our admission rates and my anger issues?

:surprised:

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
wut?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
derb is so elite

Best part about shacking up with a Ford Hall filly was going over to the Derb to eat instead of Kramer.  Then again any reason to get the hell away from Marlatt Penitentiary was fine.

Can confirm.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
also sure its luked, but phase 4 of the engineering building (durland, rathbone, fiedler) is having groundbreaking this fall. emaw's curb appeal will go up 20x at least after this is complete. the new building is stellar.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
also sure its luked, but phase 4 of the engineering building (durland, rathbone, fiedler) is having groundbreaking this fall. emaw's curb appeal will go up 20x at least after this is complete. the new building is stellar.

:woot:

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
Can also confirm the boss-ness of the new engineering building. The new dorms however I have mixed feelings about. IMO, knock down that red brick eye sore and build back a slightly larger building to serve the same function. Then on the other side of campus by the Derb, build a huge parking garage in the north section of the current one and then build a giant new dorm/cafeteria complex similar to the derb. There's plenty of space if the parking situation can be worked out.

Side note: Before the current round of discussions were happening (and also when I was still in college and working at facilities), they were talking about putting a new dorm right behind Waters Hall in that parking lot. Thank god they nuked that idea before it was released....can you imagine the backlash that would have caused?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »
Can also confirm the boss-ness of the new engineering building. The new dorms however I have mixed feelings about. IMO, knock down that red brick eye sore and build back a slightly larger building to serve the same function. Then on the other side of campus by the Derb, build a huge parking garage in the north section of the current one and then build a giant new dorm/cafeteria complex similar to the derb. There's plenty of space if the parking situation can be worked out.

Side note: Before the current round of discussions were happening (and also when I was still in college and working at facilities), they were talking about putting a new dorm right behind Waters Hall in that parking lot. Thank god they nuked that idea before it was released....can you imagine the backlash that would have caused?

That sounds like a pretty good spot for a new dorm to me. :dunno:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
Can confirm that technology is going to blow ass again in KSU's new Engineering building. 

When it comes to classroom technology, KSU is behind the 8-ball and getting lapped by new buildings at KU, UMKC, etc.  Hopefully they put more effort into classroom technology for the business building and see that the new classroom design trend involves scale-up, collaboration type classrooms. 

To put it in perspective, KU's new engineering building is going to be much more innovative than K-States.  KU is spending over $2mill on classroom technology alone.  Props to KU though for not having a IT group on campus that refuses to step outside the box and do a little research.

UMKC spent over $2.5mill on classroom technology alone on the new Bloch school of business.  Not only does the new learning style require more technology, but it also attracts students who were raised in an age of smart phones, tablets, smart boards in classrooms, etc. 

UMKC also spent over $1mill on technology for their new library (auditorium classrooms).

I love that K-State is building new buildings, but if they are going to half-ass the learning experience by putting in old-fashion auditorium classrooms they might as well extend their Top 50 University in 2025 vision to 2050.  But thats our KSTATEO!     
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
 :frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »
The learning technology I had in high school was about 100x better than what I had in college, but I would say the quality of my high school education was pretty shitty and the quality of the college education was very good. :dunno:

I would rather build nice new buildings than waste money on crap like smart boards. We have a growing enrollment and we need extra classroom space.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
The Seaton renovation has been in process for a while. They selected the firm working on it and have done very schematic designs. The dean, Tim De Noble has been talking to alums about it for a while trying to raise money. Good to know they are finally going to the regents. I know they were waiting until they were sure they would get the money.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
The learning technology I had in high school was about 100x better than what I had in college, but I would say the quality of my high school education was pretty shitty and the quality of the college education was very good. :dunno:

I would rather build nice new buildings than waste money on crap like smart boards. We have a growing enrollment and we need extra classroom space.

Yea it's not "smart boards" as much as the learning style.  The new learning style is called "Scale-Up."

The Scale-Up style has been proven to help students learn more in a semester than the traditional auditorium style classroom.  It allows the student to collaborate more and listen to boring professor less.  It helps bring the small, personal classroom feel into a large room with a lot of students.

This model is growing rapidly across the U.S., but the hayseeds at KSU are having a hard time adopting it.  As a former engineering student, we were taught to collaborate and work as a team to do homework assignments, etc.  Now, it is being implemented in the classroom and we're too cheap to work towards that.  Is it expensive?....yea very but it's also engaging and mimics real-world experiences in the workplace.

The goal is to be able to plug your personal laptop at your table and collaborate on the display near your group.  The instructor also had the ability to take any student's laptop and send the content to every screen in the classroom.  The instructor usually is stationed in the middle of the classroom and can send his content to every display if he wanted to.  It's pretty bad-ass.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
As someone who has been engaged in providing technology solutions for schools (but not things like White Boards) I can't tell you how many times I've talked to IT staffs who just roll their eyes at things like Interactive White Boards and group collaboration and how the money that pays for those robs money from core IT infrastructure improvements and upgrades.    Maintaining those systems with only a finite number of human resources becomes more cumbersome as they age, and maintenance contracts are expensive. 

IT Staffs would much rather improve core connectivity, improve things like the WLAN experience to facilite a secure BYOD environment, as well as upgrade server capacity or the cloud experience that can drive content to the individual user.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
I doubt that "Scale-Up" model teaches students how to understand twenty-odd accents. #2025 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »
Here's what I see when I see things like "scale up".   A group where 1 or 2 are serious and do all the work, the rest goof-offs, then a lot of fighting about who did all the work, and then even more when the outcome sucks.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
i think i'm a classroom tuck :frown: