Author Topic: was thinking about bball today  (Read 7949 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: was thinking about bball today
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
So, I haven't bothered to look at the schedule like I planned, but regardng 10 fewer wins:  how does this happen?  Our non con is pretty pud, I believe, so maybe 7 of those loses are to conference teams.  That cuts our win total from last year in HALF and has us finishing probably 7th or 8th.  That's the year after a first place finish.  And you account for this with the loss of two starters and a role player?  That's crazy.

If it happens, what will you chock it up to?

Mary Jane

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
the win/loss differences will show up in conference, not out and it will start this year with kstate finishing under .500 for the first time since the 05-06 woolridge team.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
the win/loss differences will show up in conference, not out and it will start this year with kstate finishing under .500 for the first time since the 05-06 woolridge team.

If that happens, there will be some who will want oscar fired.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
Lol

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
I fully support those of you who are not content settling for mediocrity.  There is a power vacuum in this conference with UT falling off the edge of the world.  There is an opening for second fiddle, and applications are being accepted RIGHT NOW.  It's only a matter of time before Texas becomes consistently good, again, and I would prefer that KSU solidify themselves as the clear #2 in the conference before that happens.  Think about how great it would be for KU and K-State to battle each other every year for the Big 12 crown.  For me, it would help quite a bit, having lost our primary rival.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
I fully support those of you who are not content settling for mediocrity.  There is a power vacuum in this conference with UT falling off the edge of the world.  There is an opening for second fiddle, and applications are being accepted RIGHT NOW.  It's only a matter of time before Texas becomes consistently good, again, and I would prefer that KSU solidify themselves as the clear #2 in the conference before that happens.  Think about how great it would be for KU and K-State to battle each other every year for the Big 12 crown.  For me, it would help quite a bit, having lost our primary rival.

agree, it would be great. most kstate fans and college fans in general just don't care about basketball. sad but true and infuriates me because i actually like basketball and baseball a lot. is what it is i guess.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
Spracne, pencil us in and we will see what we can do about oscar.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
Spracne, pencil us in and we will see what we can do about oscar.

Hopefully your donors didn't completely empty their pockets with the BASF project (we don't make a lot of the stadiums you build, we make a lot of the stadiums you build better), and hopefully they know some creative lawyers... We can do this.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
Farmers printing money these days.  Were fine.  Just need to rip this bandaid off. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
our basketball program will be built on the backs of poisoned aquifers.  these once fertile underground lakes which fed millions will have been compromised through the practice of fracking, making kansas farmers rich.  this, all in an effort to cleanse the name of k-su hoops and rid it of the cancer that is oscar weber and his fungus-like staff.  seems like a fair trade tho.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »
So, I haven't bothered to look at the schedule like I planned, but regardng 10 fewer wins:  how does this happen?  Our non con is pretty pud, I believe, so maybe 7 of those loses are to conference teams.  That cuts our win total from last year in HALF and has us finishing probably 7th or 8th.  That's the year after a first place finish.  And you account for this with the loss of two starters and a role player?  That's crazy.

i'm not sure how many different ways you want to postulate the same thing.  i think the group of players we have this year is a significantly (dramatically) worse than the group we had last year.  you think the difference isn't that great.  there's nothing more to the discussion.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »

#Hoiball  :drool:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »

he is competing with Drew and Ford for the 2nd spot - he  just needs to recruit relatively close to their level

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

i'm not sure how many different ways you want to postulate the same thing. i think the group of players we have this year is a significantly (dramatically) worse than the group we had last year.  you think the difference isn't that great.  there's nothing more to the discussion.

i agree.  is our roster this year better than tcu's roster last year? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
tcu had more size :Ugh:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
Did TCU have motion offense, though?  I mean, I am pretty sure it was well discussed and established that Bruces teams don't need much talent because Motion Offense.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
The ability to make a layup with either hand should not be glossed over.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
The ability to make a layup with either hand should not be glossed over.

sleekly popped Js tho
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
i agree.  is our roster this year better than tcu's roster last year?

i can't name a single player on tcu's team.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

he is competing with Drew and Ford for the 2nd spot - he  just needs to recruit relatively close to their level

Yea, he needs to combine his dreaminess with sliminess on the recruiting trail.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »

Yea, he needs to combine his dreaminess with sliminess on the recruiting trail.
Does Hoi have any Dalonte type assistants on the staff now?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
This is probably true of most offenses, but when oscar doesn't have three-point shooters his teams struggle mightily to win games.  More than average I'd say.  His two worst records at Illinois (2007-08: 16-19 and 2011-12: 17-15) were also his two worst three-point shooting teams (31.9% and 30.4% respectively).  His next worst three-point shooting team was 2009-10 with 34.0%, which was the only other season he didn't make the tournament.  Fun fact, at Illinois if oscar's team shot below 34.9% from three they didn't make the tournament. 

The ksu purple go cats last season were at 36.2%, which was only bested by one of oscar's Illinois squads: 39.2% during the NC game season.  Point being, I haven't read of any of the incoming youngbloods being known as good outside shooters.  The primary reason that the wheels fell off for oscar on the court in his last season at Illinois was that he recruited a bunch of athletic guards that couldn't shoot the three well and that was with a lottery pick at center.  This would be my primary concern heading into next season for the fighting purples, just ahead of lack of height and depth in the paint. 

Good post Mr. Bread.

I don't really know what to expect with this team, but I'm not brimming with confidence.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »
This team will be TCU bad.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
no we won't.  That was unprecedented.  we won't match that.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
We lost

55% of our scoring
59% of our 3 pointers
46% of rebounding
59% of assists
48% of steals
58% of blocks

No, the shot attempts don't go with the players but this is significant.  They weren't having the worst players do all these things for shits and giggles.  At a glance, KU probably lost even more but we don't recruit like KU.

3 of the 4 least experienced teams were Tech, Texas, and WVU.  The one outlier was OSU.  The most experienced teams were KSU, KU, ISU, and TCU.  TCU was the outlier there.

Basically, experience accounts for a lot but elite young talent or crap old talent is still elite or crap.  Maybe not crap, but we will have relatively poor talent and experience next year.  I don't know who could really think this is a negligible difference.