Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3220820 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I am happy to help our Hawk bros out.  Hand up, not hand out.  You know?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Thanks, guys. I will sit back and contribute nothing to this project while we take that money from you without your informed consent. Thanks for taking it in stride.  :Carl:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KU athletics - perpetually on the government teat

Sad  :frown:

Rumblings that the budget for MLS'ified Memorial Stadium is getting larger than Leon from Airplane (original)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
All that gov't cheese has to go somewhere.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Respect the hustle
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How many hidden powercats are going to be in the architecture of this thing?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
It's really funny to me that KU demolished their stadium before they knew where they were gonna play home football games in 2024.

Playing in Arrowhead in Missouri in front of 20k people with no student section is going to be amazing comedy. Playing in Sporting's stadium seems like the most logical plan but I'm afraid it would be a lot less funny.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
It's really funny to me that KU demolished their stadium before they knew where they were gonna play home football games in 2024.

Playing in Arrowhead in Missouri in front of 20k people with no student section is going to be amazing comedy. Playing in Sporting's stadium seems like the most logical plan but I'm afraid it would be a lot less funny.
i think playing at sporting is impossible, practically speaking.

can you imagine trying to negotiate with arrowhead at this point if you're KU?  i feel like Arrowhead kind of has them over a barrel.  where else could they realistically play?  i think their options are literally limited to: (i) rent arrowhead; (2) figure out a way to do it at the booth -- and I don't know how realistic that would be; or [c] just play them as road games at opposing stadiums.

if arrowhead says "sure you can play them here, but the lowest we'll go is $10m per game, take it or leave it," what does KU say?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We tell them to F themselves and the horse they rode in on. But back in reality, I think an agreement in principle was arrived at long ago, and they're just slow playing it for several reasons.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thanks, guys. I will sit back and contribute nothing to this project while we take that money from you without your informed consent. Thanks for taking it in stride.  :Carl:
Not the way STAR Bonds work, but go off King I suppose.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not the way STAR Bonds work, but go off King I suppose.

I thought "I drink your milkshake" was how it worked? I heard it said from a KSU luminary of some regional repute.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is all so sad.  Phogistan used to beam with pride talking (about other peoples money) how it would only take a few phone calls, and bam, the funding for the eventual stadium remodel would be in place in a matter of minutes.

Now we're talking $125 million in gubment cheese, KU already greased the skids for $140 million possible bonds via the KDFA with KBOR approval . . . and ITK constructo/architecture cats are now saying that the demo portion alone is way way over budget.  KU is set to drop a bomb on the Lawrence business community about next season, and concerns mount that the East side of the stadium may have to pushed.

All because someone wanted a MLS'ified stadium that is not in keeping at all with the original architecture of historic KU Memorial Stadium.

How, sad

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
We tell them to F themselves and the horse they rode in on. But back in reality, I think an agreement in principle was arrived at long ago, and they're just slow playing it for several reasons.
i wonder what the reasons are. 

if i were Director Goff i think i'd want arrowhead's (hypothetical) "hey it's cool if we play here" agreement set in stone.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You'll definitely want to monitor my rage if a Sunday 3:25 pm kickoff has my Chiefs playing on a ripped to shreds field in front of a national CBS audience because KU destroyed it playing Houston the night before.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If they play at arrowhead every game has to be on a Thursday regardless of Chiefs home/away schedule. Final offer.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
IDEA: Tour of Kansas.

They play at home game at Emporia State, another at Pittsburg, another at Butler CC etc.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

if i were Director Goff i think i'd want arrowhead's (hypothetical) "hey it's cool if we play here" agreement set in stone.

For starters, the BigXII has not released its full schedule (the one with dates AND times). That obviously impacts Arrowhead's availability. Relatedly, KU can't do its Select-A-Seat thingy until that's settled. I believe, based on nothing other than sheer common sense, that a handshake deal was reached months ago (hence, all the leaks about it), and now we're just waiting to tick all the boxes before we release it to the masses in the most kind-hearted manner ($$) possible.

But I also do agree it would be cooler to do it at Sporting. But also also, even though Illig is a major owner, it is infeasible.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
IDEA: Tour of Kansas.

They play at home game at Emporia State, another at Pittsburg, another at Butler CC etc.

You're overlooking the Native American College in Lawrence, Haskel.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

For starters, the BigXII has not released its full schedule (the one with dates AND times). That obviously impacts Arrowhead's availability. Relatedly, KU can't do its Select-A-Seat thingy until that's settled. I believe, based on nothing other than sheer common sense, that a handshake deal was reached months ago (hence, all the leaks about it), and now we're just waiting to tick all the boxes before we release it to the masses in the most kind-hearted manner ($$) possible.

But I also do agree it would be cooler to do it at Sporting. But also also, even though Illig is a major owner, it is infeasible.
I'd think so too, but "months ago," KU wasn't "already behind schedule."  Heck, 6 months ago this thing was supposed to be $100 million cheaper than it is projected today.  Anyway, the way Girod is talking seems to have a concerning "eh we'll figure it out" air about it.  I feel like I must be in the twilight zone, but this seems like something that you'd want to present as much certainty about as you could.  Not, "well we're considering playing some games there, but I doubt we play all of them there."  i don't quite get why you'd try to play hide the ball with this.

“There is a huge feasibility question,” Girod said. “We know even in construction meetings this morning our timeline is getting tighter by the day. That consideration has not gotten better. This weather has not helped. We know we are running really, really tight.”

Girod last month confirmed to the Journal-World that KU was considering playing some of its home football games at Arrowhead Stadium — home to the Kansas City Chiefs — in order to keep the stadium renovation project on schedule. But at that time, Girod said no deal had been reached with the Chiefs, and KU had made no decision that it actually wanted to remove the games from the campus.

On Wednesday, Girod said a final agreement still hadn’t yet been reached with Arrowhead Stadium officials, but the chancellor said that mainly was because KU had not yet been given the dates of its conference home games by the Big 12 Conference.

“We know who we are playing at home and who we are playing away, but we don’t know dates,” Girod said.

KU needs those dates before it could reach specific agreements with Arrowhead officials. Girod said he envisions a scenario where KU will play some of its home football games at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, while playing others at Arrowhead.

“I think that is very possible,” Girod said during a brief interview. “I think it is unlikely that (Arrowhead) would be able to accommodate every date we have.”
https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/2024/jan/17/renovation-work-at-ku-football-stadium-making-it-very-possible-jayhawks-will-play-at-arrowhead/

This all seems pretty fluid considering KU is going to be hosting Lindenwood ( :confused: ) in about 7 months here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 03:14:10 PM by DQ12 »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is this another situation where the Big 12, after already allowing a marginally suspect foul to be called on KU this weekend (with Bill Self jumping 6 feet out on the floor and not being T'd up) sticking it to poor old KU.

BY not a fan of KU?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

I'd think so too, but "months ago," KU wasn't "already behind schedule."  Heck, 6 months ago this thing was supposed to be $100 million cheaper than it is projected today.  Anyway, the way Girod is talking about it makes it seems to have a concerning "eh we'll figure it out" air about it.  I feel like I must be in the twilight zone, but this seems like something that you'd want to present as much certainty about as you could.  Not, "well we're considering playing some games there, but I doubt we play all of them there."  i don't quite get why you'd try to play hide the ball with this.

“There is a huge feasibility question,” Girod said. “We know even in construction meetings this morning our timeline is getting tighter by the day. That consideration has not gotten better. This weather has not helped. We know we are running really, really tight.”

Girod last month confirmed to the Journal-World that KU was considering playing some of its home football games at Arrowhead Stadium — home to the Kansas City Chiefs — in order to keep the stadium renovation project on schedule. But at that time, Girod said no deal had been reached with the Chiefs, and KU had made no decision that it actually wanted to remove the games from the campus.

On Wednesday, Girod said a final agreement still hadn’t yet been reached with Arrowhead Stadium officials, but the chancellor said that mainly was because KU had not yet been given the dates of its conference home games by the Big 12 Conference.

“We know who we are playing at home and who we are playing away, but we don’t know dates,” Girod said.

KU needs those dates before it could reach specific agreements with Arrowhead officials. Girod said he envisions a scenario where KU will play some of its home football games at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, while playing others at Arrowhead.

“I think that is very possible,” Girod said during a brief interview. “I think it is unlikely that (Arrowhead) would be able to accommodate every date we have.”
https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/2024/jan/17/renovation-work-at-ku-football-stadium-making-it-very-possible-jayhawks-will-play-at-arrowhead/

This all seems pretty fluid considering KU is going to be hosting Lindenwood ( :confused: ) in about 7 months here.

Did you Lindenwood?  :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Keeping with the theme of the Nazi Atlantic wall construction of KU Memorial Stadium - something that even the unknowing construction eye would immediately pick up on. 

The old girl proved not to be a soft underbelly, but rather a tough old gut in the demo process.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Bottomline, my read is they basically have known what they're going to do for a long time, but they can't really tell the alums/donors/(gE) what that is until all the boxes are ticked, even though we basically all (those of us who are online sports fans with an interest) know what it is, already. But you gotta think about the folks with $$ who don't pay as much attention. You need them bucks, too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Keeping with the theme of the Nazi Atlantic wall construction of KU Memorial Stadium - something that even the unknowing construction eye would immediately pick up on. 

The old girl proved not to be a soft underbelly, but rather a tough old gut in the demo process.

The amount of reinforced concrete in that ol' gal ... Someone said, and I admittedly have not confirmed it, that it was more concrete than was used in the Hoover Dam.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Bottomline, my read is they basically have known what they're going to do for a long time, but they can't really tell the alums/donors/(gE) what that is until all the boxes are ticked, even though we basically all (those of us who are online sports fans with an interest) know what it is, already. But you gotta think about the folks with $$ who don't pay as much attention. You need them bucks, too.
you have more faith in college admins than i do.