Author Topic: If the US didn't exist (physically), what country would you choose to live in?  (Read 18589 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
South Korea. Great food. Not as bizarre or romantically closed off as Japan and much, much cleaner than China. Also endless videos talking crap on Kim Jong Il/Un. Amazing internet. I mean I would probably be hunched over in buildings all the time since I'm 6'4" but scoliosis seems like a small price to pay to live in one of the world's emerging powerhouses.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure those are fine examples of racism.  I guess I'm thinking about three things here.

1.  How strong is the correlation between the examples and the racism attributable to the average Italian - the people we would ordinarily encounter if we chose to live in Italy? 

There are also some structural differences in government that allow regional, extremist parties with openly nationalist or racist platforms to become part of the mainstream, but these are quibbles over cause and not effect.  But I think the presence of this public group of racists and the pervasive culture that allows their continued public displays pulls the mean and the median toward that racism and/or pervasiveness. 

But I am more than happy to proclaim my willingness to make some value judgments about other cultures when there are real, documented victims.  I don't think that is necessarily ethnocentric.

After all, we can probably find examples of racism in other countries, yet we have singled out Italy here in this thread.

Sure.  I mean, for instance India still has an estimated 14 million people in slavery http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/world/global-slavery-index/.  But I think there is clearly a false belief that Europe in general is "not very racist at all" or maybe "less racist than the United States."  I'm debating people here about that very topic. 

The reason I included the examples I did, was an attempt to provide anecdotes that went beyond one-to-one interactions of the type so often parodied here regarding visiting college football fans.  The examples I provided were of groups of individuals, in public, saying blatantly racist things.  These examples are one of the main supports of my argument that Italy is a racist, and more racist than the United States.

Now if this argument were about drawing an analogy to American racism and use of racist iconography via the Confederate flag and Italian use of fascist/Nazi iconography via the fascist salute/Mussolini/Hitler I would agree that it is more analogous than not.  The histories are different, the points of reference are different.  But again, let's go back to the effect of these cultural attitudes.

Maybe I misread sys, but I found much of what he was saying to be reminiscent of things I've heard from European people who have essentially told me, "Hey, look.  We don't care about the same things you do.  We don't understand why you make such a big fuss over this stuff."  This led me to earlier wonder about a couple of things.

2.  Maybe the wrongness of casual acceptance of certain sorts of racism by the average Italian just isn't as absolute as the wrongness of, say, cold blooded murder. 

I concede this point, my argument is that this pervasive atmosphere is leading to real harm.  Sure, it wouldn't victimize me as a white American, but we have lots and lots of evidence of black people being harmed by public racism in Italy and other European countries.  I'm not saying there is a 1:1 correlation between this sort of pervasiveness and the harm being done in these very public forums, but it would seem to logically follow.  In the U.S. there is a boutique news media in part dedicated to the public shaming of public and private citizens who say or write racist things in public.  Many of them, such as Gawker, document responses to the State of the Union when people get on twitter and say racist stuff.  This process of public shaming seems to limit the amount of racism that gets openly spewed at people.

3.  Or maybe it is, but maybe there are cases (similar in kind to the black cat example) in which people with different backgrounds view the same sets of circumstances from different perspectives and, consequently, make different judgments about them.

I'm not arguing one way or another here, but I do believe these things are worth considering - especially given our perceived tendency as Americans to be a bit egocentric.

Again.  I think I've argued pretty persuasively that whatever the intent or the cultural norms that are in play here, when those social norms are interacting with black people it has lead to very public displays of in group/out group name calling.  Which is a newspeak way of saying racism.  I'm not sure what is really gained by examining the causes of this without first agreeing that it is absolutely racism.  You've seemed a bit squishy on exactly what you are willing to label as racist which brings us full circle again. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Oh man, so many to choose from! Here is a quick list, kind of in order, with very little thought behind them:

Norway, Netherlands, France, Spain, Peru, Brazil, Luxembourg, UK, Germany, New Zealand

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
I think I posted in this thread the first time around, but here is my current list:

1. Australia
2. NZ
3. Switzerland
4. Ireland
5. UK
6. Germany
7. Japan
:adios:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FYI I would also say, in my observation, that most of Europe is just as racist, if not more so, as the US. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i think you have to compare the most racist groups in a country to the most racist groups in the comapro country, and also compare the average racism levels and also the mean and median racism levels. like USA could be top-heavy with the KKK and just Mississippi in general, but your average American is pretty deathly afraid of being labeled a racist and most people bend over backwards to avoid even something that is not racist but could be construed racist by anyone. however i bet in italy your average giovanni has no problem spouting out some pretty racist things if he was so inclined because it is certainly less taboo over there

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i think you have to compare the most racist groups in a country to the most racist groups in the comapro country, and also compare the average racism levels and also the mean and median racism levels. like USA could be top-heavy with the KKK and just Mississippi in general, but your average American is pretty deathly afraid of being labeled a racist and most people bend over backwards to avoid even something that is not racist but could be construed racist by anyone. however i bet in italy your average giovanni has no problem spouting out some pretty racist things if he was so inclined because it is certainly less taboo over there

I think a society should largely be judged upon how ostracized and marginalized racists are in their society.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think a society should largely be judged upon how ostracized and marginalized racists are in their society.

well consider that the KKK lives in off-the-grid shacks in the woods, whereas italy racists have front row tix to see AC Milan

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

well consider that the KKK lives in off-the-grid shacks in the woods, whereas italy racists have front row tix to see AC Milan

Yeah, I'd say ours is better.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My observation is that its more a young/old divide, over there.  Old people have no problem being blatantly racist but it is appalling to the younger crowd.. to an extent you could say the same about American's though... I remember my grandpa spouting off the N word (in reference to the pictures of indigenous Australians on the wall) at Outback Steakhouse when I was a kid that I was pretty  :sdeek:  about.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

this just goes back to the public shaming that KK was talking about.  i bet there are more "racist" people on this blog than you think, but the public shaming bit holds them from sharing their view (the gE police are especially sensitive in this area).  the bending over backwards to not say something doesn't mean that they don't WANT to say it.  this skews the average pretty heavily.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

this just goes back to the public shaming that KK was talking about.  i bet there are more "racist" people on this blog than you think, but the public shaming bit holds them from sharing their view (the gE police are especially sensitive in this area).  the bending over backwards to not say something doesn't mean that they don't WANT to say it.  this skews the average pretty heavily.

yeah ok but doesn't this all factor into a country's racist rating? if there are "police" everywhere PI'ing people for anything >borderline racist comments, doesn't that help the country's racist rating? i say yes. public shaming is as legit as any other reason

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

yeah ok but doesn't this all factor into a country's racist rating? if there are "police" everywhere PI'ing people for anything >borderline racist comments, doesn't that help the country's racist rating? i say yes. public shaming is as legit as any other reason

it just hides it from view, kind of the way in the article no one in power would speak about what the inter (inter? soccer is so rough ridin' weird) fans did.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You've seemed a bit squishy on exactly what you are willing to label as racist which brings us full circle again.

Yeah, I mean, it seems like I failed to communicate the idea that I'm open to considering that there may just be some relativism here.  So, like, maybe tolerance of racial slurs is not acceptable in the U.S. and acceptable in Italy not only because of social norms, but because there just is no universal fact of the matter regarding the wrongness of racial slurs.

I can agree that they cause real harm, yet disagree that they're wrong.  Real harm is sometimes caused by regular, old actions with unintended consequences, for example.  So, they're not wrong in virtue of causing real harm.  If they are, it must be for a different reason.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:14:34 PM by chum1 »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
it seems like I failed to communicate the idea that I'm open to considering that there may just be some relativism here.

i thought the exchange between you and katkid was really interesting (before everyone else diluted the thread with their comments).

i think there are a couple of interesting issues here:

1)  i think katkid is focused on the prevalence, and impact on minority populations, of instances of overt public racism, or at least actions that may be related to, or difficult to distinguish from, racism, while chum1 (and earlier, myself) were more interested in the cultural mindset of the majority population.  it shouldn't necessarily be surprising that those different focuses (foci?) would lead to different thoughts on how racist a society is.

2)  i think one of question of how a society defines identity enters into the equation.  my impression has been that in the united states people, at least for american blacks and american whites, define themselves (and are defined by others by) by race primarily, or perhaps only just very slightly less than by nationality.  in contrast, my impression has been that europeans (really we are talking southern europeans, and we should acknowledge that large parts of europe are very different) define themselves/are defined by ethnicity, nationality or membership in some smaller than national geographically defined group.  to katkid, that difference may seem irrelevant so far as treatment of an immigrant group or some other ethnic minority correlated to an american definition of race is clearly discriminatory or in some way disadvantages the minority group. i (and i suspect chum), would consider the difference more relevant.

(sorry about all the ()s and comma delineated subordinate clauses.  it's how i think.)

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
it seems like I failed to communicate the idea that I'm open to considering that there may just be some relativism here.
2)  i think one of question of how a society defines identity enters into the equation.  my impression has been that in the united states people, at least for american blacks and american whites, define themselves (and are defined by others by) by race primarily, or perhaps only just very slightly less than by nationality.  in contrast, my impression has been that europeans (really we are talking southern europeans, and we should acknowledge that large parts of europe are very different) define themselves/are defined by ethnicity, nationality or membership in some smaller than national geographically defined group.  to katkid, that difference may seem irrelevant so far as treatment of an immigrant group or some other ethnic minority correlated to an american definition of race is clearly discriminatory or in some way disadvantages the minority group. i (and i suspect chum), would consider the difference more relevant.

I agree with your characterization of my argument.

I will only add that we seem to be very focused about how there is something "lost in translation" by examining the behavior of these Italians through our own (white/black, ______-American, ethnic enclaves) prism of "racism" and "race."  That is true insofar as we all acknowledge the difference between the nation-state construct in play in nearly all of Europe and the "one nation" of our republic.  But I think something is also being obscured about the United States here on two levels.

1)  if we conceptualize the United States and talk about things like the "relative prevalence" or some "smaller than national geographically defined group" we are talking about regionalism.  It is no doubt a very powerful force in Europe.  It is also wrong to be too dismissive of it as a powerful force in the United States.  It is very comforting to get apologetic about the romantic Spaniard from Zaragoza or the Milano from Italy and how they are just expressing their historical place and mourning their cultural loss as they are besieged by accusations of racism from ethnocentric Kansans.

I doubt the American Southerner, clutching his Confederate flag, spouting clearly racist language might get similar consideration.

The parallel of Europe adjusting to the bitter end of the nation-state and the Southern and Border states fear of a black and brown planet is much more apt in my mind than the convoluted reasoning that will explain away a Nazi salute or ape sounds as anything other than the most obvious name.

2) Even if we concede that the stated justification for the racism is pure in-group/out-group hate and not necessarily the bit about racial superiority.  It is a strain of nationalist ideology that must ultimately arrive return to racism as the in-group is slowly purged of the "Romans In Name Only."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I doubt the American Southerner, clutching his Confederate flag, spouting clearly racist language might get similar consideration.

i mean, i don't like the loud, offensive nationalist/racists/whatever of europe, either.  i'm talking about the society as a whole.  and i do give the us, including southerners, the same consideration.

i don't have the same antipathy towards racism as a concept as you seem to, though.  i think actions that hurt other people are wrong, regardless of motivation.  and motivation without action bothers me very little.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Romans In Name Only."

listen from start to six minute mark.  describe these romans as racist or not racist.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Romans In Name Only."

listen from start to six minute mark.  describe these romans as racist or not racist.

In the intro, when they were talking about the stories and said ".. the Angela Merkel bugging rout..." since it was in a british accent, i immediately thought they were talking about a story in which the German Chancellor was getting railed on....  buggering...

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I'm still picking Australia, eff the haters, etc.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Romans In Name Only."

It was 'Gone with the Wind' in Italian.  I absolutely think people should mourn cultural loss.  But the distance dumps Vaseline on our lens into the Old world.  Quaint storybook cobbled roads and alleys of the Old World speak to Americans, and those in multi-cultural London, bombarded by the crass strip mall and highway or the unpleasant change of the corner pub to a Jamaican restaurant or disco.

We are absolutely losing culture, but it is not being replaced by nihilism.  I think Americans in general are much more pragmatic and adaptable to this reality because our institutions and our culture is so young.  The Old World is dying hard.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Good lord, how did I leave Malaysia off my list?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

great choice, HARRIET VANGER  :Wha:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It was 'Gone with the Wind' in Italian.  I absolutely think people should mourn cultural loss.  But the distance dumps Vaseline on our lens into the Old world.  Quaint storybook cobbled roads and alleys of the Old World speak to Americans, and those in multi-cultural London, bombarded by the crass strip mall and highway or the unpleasant change of the corner pub to a Jamaican restaurant or disco.

We are absolutely losing culture, but it is not being replaced by nihilism.  I think Americans in general are much more pragmatic and adaptable to this reality because our institutions and our culture is so young.  The Old World is dying hard.

good answer.  although i think we're adapting easier because our culture is hardly worth saving.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

great choice, HARRIET VANGER  :Wha:

SPOILER ALERT GD MOCAT