Author Topic: TV in the garage  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TV in the garage
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
So, I have an extra 42 inch LED TV and nowhere to put it.  I was considering mounting it in the garage but I didn't really know if I would use it enough to justify installing DirecTV in the garage. Then I just realized, I have an old PC that I can hook to the TV and stream DTV on it.

Man.... life is good.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: TV in the garage
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »
I got a small 20 inch led tv that I set up in my kitchen, no cable just bunny ears. I usually only watch it when I'm cooking.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
I got a small 20 inch led tv that I set up in my kitchen, no cable just bunny ears. I usually only watch it when I'm cooking.

I didn't know bunny ears still worked since the move to HD.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »

I didn't know bunny ears still worked since the move to HD.

You still need "bunny ears" to pick up the OTA digital signal. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
Same problem here.  I have an extra 21" and an extra 37", both perfectly functional.  I had an extra 42" and put it in my basement where only the kids play(seriously, haven't been in my basement in like 3 weeks).

Thinking about putting the two extras down next to the basement 42" for NCAA tournament stuff. 

My 37" is still hanging on the wall immediately behind my new 46" in my bedroom because I have been too lazy to take it down and the new 46" covers 90% of it.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
Well I have one hundred extra TVs so in your faces.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Well I have one hundred extra TVs so in your faces.

:runaway:

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
I think The Ed could help with tv placement.  Did you guys know he has 11 television sets in his house?!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
I would sit down and ask yourself if you want to be the type of person who has a TV in their garage.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
TV in the garage > TV in the bedroom IMO

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
SD wishes he had a TV in his garage

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
I would call my garage "the lab"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
I would just sell it on craigslist. What's the point?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »

I would rather set it on fire than put it on Craigslist.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
I had an extra 42" and put it in my basement where only the kids play(seriously, haven't been in my basement in like 3 weeks).

play with my kids? no thanks says cns. i'll just lock them in the basement and fire up the old 42" with an episode of cops.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »

I would rather set it on fire than put it in my garage. I mean at least then you're getting some use out of it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »

I would rather set it on fire than put it in my garage. I mean at least then you're getting some use out of it.

ridiculous. you have no idea what he does in his garage in his spare time. maybe the guy makes stained glass and then sells his art for profit and donates the money to the local battered womens shelter and he wants a tv in there to have a sporting event or two on in the background.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
I had an extra 42" and put it in my basement where only the kids play(seriously, haven't been in my basement in like 3 weeks).

play with my kids? no thanks says cns. i'll just lock them in the basement and fire up the old 42" with an episode of cops.

Kids are so over Cops.  Now, it's Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

For real, though, the basement is great.  Bunch of kid stuff down there.  Place where they can go when bored with everything else.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

ridiculous. you have no idea what he does in his garage in his spare time. maybe the guy makes stained glass and then sells his art for profit and donates the money to the local battered womens shelter and he wants a tv in there to have a sporting event or two on in the background.

I guess. I have trouble with distractions, so I wouldn't like a TV where I create art to benefit battered women.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

For real, though, the basement is great.  Bunch of kid stuff down there.  Place where they can go when bored with everything else.

"dad can we have something to eat?"

"i just gave you some fruit snacks two hours ago! now get back in the basement!"  :shakesfist:

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
Same problem here.  I have an extra 21" and an extra 37", both perfectly functional.  I had an extra 42" and put it in my basement where only the kids play(seriously, haven't been in my basement in like 3 weeks).

Thinking about putting the two extras down next to the basement 42" for NCAA tournament stuff. 

My 37" is still hanging on the wall immediately behind my new 46" in my bedroom because I have been too lazy to take it down and the new 46" covers 90% of it.
The 37 sounds like an excellent deck/patio tv

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »

game rooms in the basement are awesome. We had pool table, Foosball, air hockey, and ping pong table + video games and TV in our basement as kids. Like you, my parents never went down there. Now though that all but one sibling has moved out of the house I think my dad just goes down there and falls asleep in front of the tv while watching public access television.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
So, I have an extra 42 inch LED TV and nowhere to put it.  I was considering mounting it in the garage but I didn't really know if I would use it enough to justify installing DirecTV in the garage. Then I just realized, I have an old PC that I can hook to the TV and stream DTV on it.

Man.... life is good.
you just need a cable run, the new small hd boxes are much easier to move around.  I love piddling around in the garage with Thursday night ACC matchup on in the background that will be 17-6 for most of the game but will get entertaining at the the finish.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
I am working on a backyard fireplace design that incorporates a flat screen mounted on the chimney facing the seating area.  College football in the fall with a fire and drinks....yes please!
@mikec2w

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

This is pretty much me, except woodworking instead of stained glass and pretty much never for profit/battered women. I enjoy having the TV in the garage and that is probably far down the list of things that SD and MIcat would make fun of me for IRL.