Author Topic: Rolling Stone Cover  (Read 11902 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Stone Cover
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
i am not a fan of hypersensitive people.

he killed some people and then he got a flattering cover photo. you don't have to be hypersensitive to not like that.

don't be a bitch.  they used the picture because by all accounts he was a "normal" kid

eff that. No. Normal kids don't detonate bombs at sporting events.  Normal kids don't place a weapon that "shreds flesh, shatters bone and rips muscle" on the ground next to an 8 year old boy.

I don't have a problem with him being on the cover, but put up a mugshot, or at least something a little less jonas brothers-y.

don't be a dumbass.  he had the appearance of a normal kid until the bombing.  that's the point.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
It was a good article. No problem with finding out the backstory behind stuff like this, and the cover only "glorifies" the act if you choose to think it does. I mean, does anyone really believe some other kid is going to say "hey, this guy maimed and killed a bunch of people, but got a really cool picture on the cover of Rolling Stone, I think I'll do it too."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
It was a good article. No problem with finding out the backstory behind stuff like this, and the cover only "glorifies" the act if you choose to think it does. I mean, does anyone really believe some other kid is going to say "hey, this guy maimed and killed a bunch of people, but got a really cool picture on the cover of Rolling Stone, I think I'll do it too."

I agree to an extent. It is kind of the same thing with the media putting every school shooters pic and the count all over the screen. Doubt it makes kids want to up the anty but who knows?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
people who complain about the media are idiots. the media gives you what you want. they aren't providing some public service ('cept stud PBS). if you want them to not do stuff then want it less.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
people who complain about the media are idiots. the media gives you what you want. they aren't providing some public service ('cept stud PBS). if you want them to not do stuff then want it less.

Agree for reelz. Unless you were being mean to me. :cry:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
i want the media to be very mean to religious extremists and RS was not mean enough for me in this case.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
I want the media to replay The WildWildCats vs Xavier BB game in the Sweet 16 over and over after 7pm every evening. 

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/07/18/tsarnaev/

just goes to show you just can't make everyone look not sexy. this bomber is one of those people.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Agree for reelz. Unless you were being mean to me. :cry:

I wasn't

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
i like how bubbles is acting in this thread.  very honest.

i haven't made up my mind about the cover yet, but i probably lean towards bubs.  this guy is a total piece of crap scumbag loser who tried to kill tons of innocent people.  i don't want to see how handsome he is or read about how normal he was or what a bright future he and his loser brother had.

and it seems like a shameless shock value publicity stunt that's exploiting a terrorist attack just a few months after it happened.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »

I'm a loner piece of crap scumbag already, and thought that my choices were a.) hang myself in my one bedroom apartment b.) go down in flames and become a legend, I'm going with option B.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
this guy is a total piece of crap scumbag loser who tried to kill tons of innocent people.  i don't want to see how handsome he is or read about how normal he was or what a bright future he and his loser brother had.

What is the harm in trying to learn how a handsome, seemingly normal kid turns into a piece of crap scumbag terrorist? Why does it make you angry that this may interest others?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

yup - he's prefaced his thoughts, let us know where he's coming from, etc.  i'm cool with that.  it's discussion.

i haven't read the article (or really anything on the bombings since shortly after the capture), but i think a certain element of the whole thing that troubles some people is that the guy just doesn't look scary enough (be it not dark enough, not mean enough, etc).  it's a lot easier to reconcile for whatever reason when it's what we've propped up as the boogeyman, but here's this unassuming looking kid.  could be anyone, ya know?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »
and it seems like a shameless shock value publicity stunt

:jerk:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »

yup - he's prefaced his thoughts, let us know where he's coming from, etc.  i'm cool with that.  it's discussion.

yes, bubs is one of the most unsung great posters on this board

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »
Bubz is one of the most interesting people I know.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
idk, good for rolling stone though.. first time I've thought about there magazine since listening to dr. hook and the medicine show

pyromaniacs strikin' matches
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »

i don't know.  to me, this just screams trying too hard to be edgy.

What is the harm in trying to learn how a handsome, seemingly normal kid turns into a piece of crap scumbag terrorist? Why does it make you angry that this may interest others?
I understand it's compelling. 

Maybe I'm in the Bubs camp.  I just think it's bad that Rolling Stone posts a glamor shot of a terrorist.  I don't think it will inspire others or anything, but I guess I think that when some one does something truly heinous, they deserve absolute retribution and shame.  Now I get that that's not Rolling Stone's responsibility, but i still don't like it.

In short, it makes me mad.  I don't know why.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »

Maybe I'm in the Bubs camp.  I just think it's bad that Rolling Stone posts a glamor shot of a terrorist.  I don't think it will inspire others or anything, but I guess I think that when some one does something truly heinous, they deserve absolute retribution and shame.  Now I get that that's not Rolling Stone's responsibility, but i still don't like it.

you sound like a bitch

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect little fairy-tale world where all bad people are evil brown people with long beards. It would be much simpler if it was.

It seems like you're upset with Rolling Stone for the same reason you admired bubs - they're being honest. This is what the dude looked like - he was a monster, (like they said on the cover). "sorry for being honest" - Rolling Stone

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
"too bad he turned into an bad person, cause he was sexy."

Have you heard or seen anyone say that?

my wife used to say similar stuff about bin laden.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
This kid is never going to see the light of day again. Who cares about his "street cred"? :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

:dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
yeah maybe you're right michigancat.  i could be looking at this the wrong way.  anyhow i don't really care to investigate my attitude about this any further, but you bring up a good point and talking this over with you has brought me back to neutral about the whole thing.