Author Topic: International Auctioneering (also maybe tie-wearing?)  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
International Auctioneering (also maybe tie-wearing?)
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Best in the world.  :zzz:

All,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you here and elsewhere for helping me build what has been just a fantastic past seven or so years in covering K-State football and basketball. Without your support, the ride wouldn't have nearly been the same, or maybe/likely wouldn't have ever gotten off the ground to begin with.

That said, I felt I owed it to you to let you know I've decided I won't be covering the 'Cats this year as I've recently taken on a new challenge as Director of Publications and Trade Show for the National Auctioneers Association, based in Overland Park. (Funny enough, I found a KSU tie there almost immediately as the current International Auctioneers Champion is Justin Ochs - a K-State grad.) The position is one that needs and deserves my full attention, and I feel I owe it to the Association's membership to give that to them, much the same way I felt K-State fans deserved to have coverage in a way I thought was lacking back when I made my first of many drives between Kansas City and Manhattan.

I've made or developed further some great friends through the past several years because of the opportunity that presented itself, and that is by far the most satisfying piece to this. Even before KSU, I never set out to cover sports in general, let alone K-State, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the experiences it provided me.

That said…

Man… I'm really looking forward to having weekends and a couple of weeknights in the fall and winter off for the first time in well over a decade (even back to college days, when I worked in athletics). I can't wait to watch or attend games as a fan again. Can't wait to get together with others at a local watering hole and enjoy a beer or three while doing so... because... um... beer. Really, that's how sports were meant to be enjoyed, I think. And yes, I was extremely jealous every time I walked through your tailgates on my way through the LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium lots.

I hope those of you who have developed even an email dialogue with me over time continue that, but I understand why some of those relationships may peter out.

Regardless, I wish nothing but the best for all of you. I'll be around from time to time on message boards and on Twitter and things because I like talking shop like anybody else does, but really, I'm just glad to finally have a chance to getting back to being not-sports-media me.

Frankly, I've missed it.

Take care, and if/when we cross paths, please make sure you say hello.

Curtis Kitchen

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: International Auctioneering (also maybe tie-wearing?)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
Champs again.  Yawn