Author Topic: Bill Simmons comes on board  (Read 2743 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Bill Simmons comes on board
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »
At least with Pullen anyway....

Forget about swimming … those dudes were doing the breaststroke and the butterfly. I saw everything I needed to see. Jordan Crawford is an NBA player. So is Jacob Pullen. You will never convince me otherwise. March Madness, baby.

In other words, would you want him as a teammate if you were playing a pickup game to 11 with the following stakes: Losers spend the weekend in a movie theater watching a 48-hour marathon of "The Backup Plan"? Kansas State's Jacob Pullen passed this test Saturday: gamer, warrior, tough as nails, totally unafraid, bounces off bigger guys, carried KSU all game (eight 3s). Scouts are dubious because, basically, he's a 6-foot-tall 2-guard. Or so they think. Because I see him evolving into a goofy hybrid of Kyle Lowry and Aaron Brooks: a shoot-first point guard with 3-point range who battles on every play. You could do worse in the second round, that's for sure. At least we know he's a fighter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100326

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Simmons comes on board
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
Everyone is on board.  Everyone.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Love how he also dumps all over Sherron and Cole in that column.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

Behind Door No. 2: Sherron Collins' stinkbomb in the Northern Iowa game. Collins wasn't the only reason Kansas lost -- I still blame Bill Self for allowing an underdog to control the tempo and not pressuring them with a superior crew of athletes -- but his "I live for the big moments!" resume was basically tossed in the garbage. He kept chucking up bricks and refusing to defer to his teammates, making him the worst kind of bad: stubbornly bad. That one game cemented my already forming (and dissenting) opinion on him. If you're trying to find a complimentary player -- which is what Collins would be in the pros -- it can't be a limited guy with an inflated view of his own talents. Remember in last night's Xavier-Kansas State gamre when Pullen wasn't feeling it in the second half and turned the scoring burden over to Clemente for a few minutes? That's what winners do. They don't keep chucking it up.

:pointandlaugh: at Sherron

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
There are tons of gold quotes in there...too many for one post...
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
Hop aboard, Bill. Plenty of room in the back. :cheers:

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
jesus. there is nothing more painful than white sportswriters talking "nba prospects"

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Nice to see Simmons belatedly on board after previously dismissing Frank as "the most unlikeable coach in the country." Also nice to see him look up from Boston and notice something non-NBA/New England-area related going on.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
Nice to see Simmons belatedly on board after previously dismissing Frank as "the most unlikeable coach in the country." Also nice to see him look up from Boston and notice something non-NBA/New England-area related going on.

a refresher course for those uninformed...

I haven't made my official decision on Beasley because I need to watch him a few more times, and it's hard to judge someone accurately when they're playing for the most incompetent and unlikable coach in Division I (the woefully overmatched and possibly homicidal Frank Martin).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080227
- chunkles

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »
National Sportswriters that cover everything from golf to NFL are awful.  Bill Simmons knows NBA basketball and that's about it.  The rest is just awful in terms of actually being meaningful or interesting outside of his jokes.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »

a refresher course for those uninformed...

I haven't made my official decision on Beasley because I need to watch him a few more times, and it's hard to judge someone accurately when they're playing for the most incompetent and unlikable coach in Division I (the woefully overmatched and possibly homicidal Frank Martin).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080227

Ha. Totally forgot about the "incompetent" part. But damnit I took that "unlikeable" part personally.  :curse:

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
Any estimate on how long our bandwagon is? Who's driving? gotta suck to take tight corners in this thing.

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »

Behind Door No. 2: Sherron Collins' stinkbomb in the Northern Iowa game. Collins wasn't the only reason Kansas lost -- I still blame Bill Self for allowing an underdog to control the tempo and not pressuring them with a superior crew of athletes -- but his "I live for the big moments!" resume was basically tossed in the garbage. He kept chucking up bricks and refusing to defer to his teammates, making him the worst kind of bad: stubbornly bad. That one game cemented my already forming (and dissenting) opinion on him. If you're trying to find a complimentary player -- which is what Collins would be in the pros -- it can't be a limited guy with an inflated view of his own talents. Remember in last night's Xavier-Kansas State gamre when Pullen wasn't feeling it in the second half and turned the scoring burden over to Clemente for a few minutes? That's what winners do. They don't keep chucking it up.

:pointandlaugh: at Sherron

Lesson for ku prospects when you stay too long...

Feel for SC and his kids...NBA paycheck to D-league (maybe) in one yr.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
Any estimate on how long our bandwagon is? Who's driving? gotta suck to take tight corners in this thing.

the road to the F4 is pretty much a straight shot
 :driving:<<<<<<just rocking the wheel back and forth to the music

Offline The Minister

• Fan
    • View Profile