Author Topic: U-verse  (Read 34928 times)

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
Re: U-verse
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
Forgot to add, no installation fees.
@lopakman

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
Our bundle with Uverse just went up.  We pay over $180 for internet, two DVR boxes, HBO and Showtime.  That seems really high.  Surewest just moved into our neighborhood and they seem to have some good specials.  Probably going to make a switch.

Unless you want to switch just threaten. They'll make it competitive. Besides surewest is trash and would never switch to them unless the deal was over the top better.

Why are they trash?

I've never been impressed with sure west  guide and their dvr capabilities have failed me. But I'll agree in uverse hd quality. It's not the best that's for sure. Twc's on demand far exceeds uverse. Reason why I like uverse is they'll do whatever it takes to keep you. For me, price competitiveness trumps quality. I don't watch that much tv.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
Our bundle with Uverse just went up.  We pay over $180 for internet, two DVR boxes, HBO and Showtime.  That seems really high.  Surewest just moved into our neighborhood and they seem to have some good specials.  Probably going to make a switch.

Unless you want to switch just threaten. They'll make it competitive. Besides surewest is trash and would never switch to them unless the deal was over the top better.

Why are they trash?

I've never been impressed with sure west  guide and their dvr capabilities have failed me. But I'll agree in uverse hd quality. It's not the best that's for sure. Twc's on demand far exceeds uverse. Reason why I like uverse is they'll do whatever it takes to keep you. For me, price competitiveness trumps quality. I don't watch that much tv.

Makes sense.  Wish it was an option for me.  I wanted WatchESPN.  :Crybaby:

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

Why are they trash?

Makes sense.  Wish it was an option for me.  I wanted WatchESPN.  :Crybaby:

First 6 months of uverse I lost watchespn from when I had twc. It almost broke me. But then Uverse got their crap straight I fell in love with thr app all over again. I couldn't imagine losing it once more.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
I called uverse today to cancel starz and some other shitty movie channel, the lady tells me I was already getting them for free, but offers to give me my additional DVR for free, saving me $7/month. I never even threatened to cancel. I think I'm going to call them every couple of months and see what I can get for free.
I'm purple down

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
Emo, great call on buying.  Dodged a hugely frustrated bullet. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2013, 02:07:39 AM »
I can't believe Uverse doesn't have all the neighborhoods east of campus covered.  :curse:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
So I'm moving to a new mansion across town next week.  It's in a nicer neighborhood.  Was doing my research to call AT&T about moving, found out they have a deal where you get to install for free and a $300 prepaid Visa.  Called to schedule the move and U-Verse isn't available.

:chainsaw: seriously, :chainsaw:

I called Cox:
Cox: "O. you want whole home DVR"
Me: "Yeah, give me that"
Cox: "OK, BTW, if you want whole home DVR, you have to sign up for our completely useless Contour for $10/month for the right to pay $42/month for the whole home DRV and 2 other TVs"

Thinking about just getting DirectTV.  I had Cox before and it was complete crap.  The DVR was crap, the quality was crap, the guide was crap.  The only problem is if I get DirectTV, I have to pay Cox $55 per month to get just-kinda-shitty internet.

On top of that, no more WatchESPN.

:chainsaw: 

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »
DirecTV doesn't offer WatchESPN?

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
Oh man, I cancelled our Uverse today because we switched to Surewest.  What an ordeal that was.  Went something like this.

Uverse: Hello, thank you for calling AT&T how may I help you?
Lopak:Hi, I would like to cancel my service.
Uverse:I am very sorry to hear that, may I ask why?
Lopak: Sure, we made the switch yesterday to Surewest, it was about half the cost.
Uverse: Well I see that the reason your bill is so high is because your promotion expired.  We have some new promotions that I can hook you up with.
Lopak:No thank you
Uverse:  I see we can offer you free HBO for six months.
Lopak: Thank you but we have Surewest now.
Uverse: I see here I can also add in Showtime.
Lopak: I have told you three times now that we switched to Surewest.  Why would I want two cable providers?
Uverse: silence
Lopak: Are you there?
Uverse: Yes
Lopak :impatient:
Uverse:silence
Lopak: So did you cancel it?
Uverse: You want to cancel your service?  I need manager approval for that.
Lopak:  :bang:
Uverse: I'm sorry sir he's preocuppied right now, can I place you on hold?
Lopak: I'd prefer that you didn...
Lopak: (now on hold)
Uverse: elevator music
Lopak:  :curse:

10 minutes later:
Uverse: Sir, I have my supervisor on the line she can help you.
Uverse supervisor: Hello, I see that we can lower your bill to $108.00 per month from the $177 you are paying now, would that entice you to stay with AT&T?
Lopak: No thank you we've already made the switch to...Wait what? If you could lower my bill to that amount then why have I been paying for $177 per month?
Uverse: Well, did you ask for a lower rate?
Lopak: Yes, about six months ago you offered me Showtime instead.
Uverse: Okay so with Showtime and the lower rate would you consider staying?
Lopak: Did you go to KU?
Uverse: What?
Lopak: Nevermind. For the last time, please cancel my service effective today.  . 
Uverse: Okay would you like a confirmation number.
Lopak: You're damn right I do.
Uverse: Sir, there's no need for that language.
Lopak:  silence
Uverse: Sir, are you still there?
Lopak: Yes, I am restraining myself right now. 

another 5 minutes later.
Uverse: Okay here is your cancellation number.
Lopak: *click*

:dubious:
@lopakman

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Well, it was your fault for actually paying full price for the UVerse, lopakman. That is what this whole thread is about. When your rates go up, call and tell them that you want to cancel, then your bill will get cut to something reasonable.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
Well, it was your fault for actually paying full price for the UVerse, lopakman. That is what this whole thread is about. When your rates go up, call and tell them that you want to cancel, then your bill will get cut to something reasonable.

Meh, even with the discount they were offering, Surewest is cheaper. 
@lopakman

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
DirecTV doesn't offer WatchESPN?
No they don't and HBOgo is not supported on Roku for DirecTV subs.  Also, the On Demand library for most networks seems scaled down compared to TW or Comcast. 

Picture quality and number of sports options is tough to beat, only missing the PAC network tho.  I also like the 3rd party remote control apps that allow you smart phone to control any box in house over wifi.  Also the fact that DirecTV whole home system essentially turns your existing coax into CAT5 and can be used for other devices if your house is large and/or the wireless router has a poor location.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
Switched to U-verse.  Was quoted 135/month before tax. First bill came today.....$261.  Only $49 of that was for installation.  They told me that my monthly bill is going to be 196/moth before tax.

Went absolutely nuclear on them.  They are back down to 135/month now

Other problem.  They hooked me up 7 days ago.  I haven't had tv, phone, or internet at home for the last three days.  Had a guy at my house until 7:30 last night.  He said the issue was the line in the ground down the street and that a different department would take care of that today.  Called today to blow up about my bill and found that today's service call was put on hold by someone in their system. 

Told them they have until midnight.  Fix it or I am going back to Wow, where I will tell them Uverse just offered me $135/month. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Also, they told me initially that the 135/month is impossible...that they could give me every promotion for new and old customers and still not be close to that.  After I explained thoroughly what their sales guy sold me, they typed it all up and filed a some BS PR complaint against him and the Retention Center representative had to have her manager enter a $42/month manual discount to get me to the $135 after I told him that I am not fully sure but think that what the sales guy did was illegal.  He told me that this guy was an obvious problem and that they would take care of him.  I told him that the company thinks he is great and that it's obvious because he had two trainees with him when he sold me the product.

Use these guys to get a discount with your other provider, but don't actually use these guys. 

Their tech told me the reason that I am probably out of service is that their backbone is completely mislabeled and totally unorganized.  So, when a tech needs to provide service to a house, they just grab any good wire they can find that has a decent feed, not caring if it is currently feeding another customer or not. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
all you youngsters now on Uverse may be interested in using your Xbox as a Uverse receiver
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB408692&cv=813#fbid=kNoHYSFhYtm
I haven't done it but the key things reported by others on the internets are
1) Xbox must be hardwired to the Uverse gateway
2)ATT is not offering the required CD so you have to download it here http://www.mediafire.com/download/i55p0e581nvyt85/XBOBX+uverse+install.zip
3) you will need an upper level tech on the phone to get it going
4) PI the tech that you have already bought the $99 install kit, you may still get stuck with the $55 service fee but will should have a free box with no monthly charge

DISCLAIMER - I have not done any of this, just saw it on another site and thought it might be useful to someone on this thread

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »
lol @ not having tv, phone, or internet for 3 days.  my God. 
hope it was worth saving a few bucks.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
Luckily I hadn't cancelled the other service yet and just had to switch my tablet wireless setting and my tvs input settings.  Otherwise, could have gotten real.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
i mean.  one time a cable company contractor disconnected my cable by mistake, was trying to disconnect someone else from the same building.  it was 5pm.  i had no cable.  no internets.  might have been the longest 2 hours of my life. if not the longest, it seemed like it was really long until the turned that crap back on.   

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
what the eff was i going to do if i couldn't watch the bachelorette? 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »
I got a card from uverse today telling me I was eligible for a $10 gift card, entered the number from the card into the website and boom, $10 headed my way in 7-10 business days  :gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
I fired Cox phone/internet.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »
I got a card from uverse today telling me I was eligible for a $10 gift card, entered the number from the card into the website and boom, $10 headed my way in 7-10 business days  :gocho:

I ended up with a $25 Visa card for my 1 year anniversary.  :party:
@mikec2w

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
Two out of the last three days, TV receiver wouldn't load properly. Had to do a soft reset the 1st time...and hard reset the 2nd(which meant losing stored DVR, no big deal for me tho). Not liking where this is going.   :ohno:

Internet has been fine.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
Two out of the last three days, TV receiver wouldn't load properly. Had to do a soft reset the 1st time...and hard reset the 2nd(which meant losing stored DVR, no big deal for me tho). Not liking where this is going.   :ohno:

Internet has been fine.

Froze up twice in the last hour. Box is bad. Called in, shipping one out tomorrow.  :|
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles