Author Topic: Abandoned Amusement Parks (ft. Wichita)  (Read 17681 times)

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Amusement Parks (ft. Wichita)
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
I know this topic is a fairly old post but I just had to throw my 2 cents in for whatever they're worth! If you grew up on the south/southeast side of Wichita or in the lgbt community you called it Barnacle Bill's or Barnacle Bill's fantasea. Why? Well, if you called it just fantasea people were liable to confuse it or joke that you were talking about Fantasy... a gay bar at 31st on Hillside, which is still open.

yes! sweet, sweet confirmation that rick daris is always right.  :Woot:

Cut this crap out, it was called Fantasea and everybody knows it. I grew up in the Wichita area pretty much all my life, nobody called it Barnacle Bills except for the radio voice over in the commercials. 

Barnacle Bill was the name of the dog character that was marketed with the park I believe. 

By the way is anybody else just giddy inside thinking about the pirate ships with the water guns and cannons? That was just heaven to a kid to play on that thing.

Well there's no pretty much about me. I was born in Wichita to a mother and father who were raised in Wichita as well. My grandfather graduated hs in wichita. I grew up there and I've never lived more than 10 miles away just prefer to stick to the outskirts of Wichita. My dad lived lived next door to the aforementioned Fantasy. Trust me, if you lived on that side of town, FantaSea was called Barnacle Bill's but I'm sure this will always be an argument. Its like people saying mcdonalds isn't called mcd's or Walmart isn't called Wally world...or that Watson park isn't actually o j Watson park... So I say to each their own.  :blah:

Your old and dumb.. Young and smart called it Fantasea.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
I visited all 3 wichita parks mentioned in this thread. Wild West World was by far the worst.

The guy who developed Wild West World went to prison over the thing.. He failed to provide adequate information to the investors he dealt with.

The whole fiasco just pisses me off because it confirms how much of a bunch of Mayberry hayseeds this place can be.  The public officials should have never done business with a crook.

Seriously! That whole wild west world BS helped put my husband out of a job. So many contractors were screwed 6 ways to Sunday.

You think he stuffed most of the money somewhere??

Where did it all go?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »
I visited all 3 wichita parks mentioned in this thread. Wild West World was by far the worst.

The guy who developed Wild West World went to prison over the thing.. He failed to provide adequate information to the investors he dealt with.

The whole fiasco just pisses me off because it confirms how much of a bunch of Mayberry hayseeds this place can be.  The public officials should have never done business with a crook.

Seriously! That whole wild west world BS helped put my husband out of a job. So many contractors were screwed 6 ways to Sunday.

You think he stuffed most of the money somewhere??

Where did it all go?

In a 777.
@mikec2w