Author Topic: Dads. They're great. Let's talk about them!  (Read 19317 times)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Dads. They're great. Let's talk about them!
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
In this thread, we post about the cool/funny/quirky/awesome/weird things our dads (or grandpas) do. If you want to talk about how your dad was terrible, or a dad that isn't related to you, or you as a dad, find another thread.

I'll start:

Coached his sons' city league basketball teams for seven years! He never had a losing record, went undefeated three times, and always gave an elite "don't do drugs" and "you're more likely to be a brain surgeon than an NBA player, so study hard" speech.

Thanks, Dad!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dads. They're great. Let's talk about them!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
Always wears the same "uniform" when he's not at work: non-hooded college team sweatshirt*, Dockers, big ol' sneaks, huge specs. Great style, dad!

*still rocks an elite 1995 Plymouth Holiday Bowl sweatshirt that says "WILDCATS" from elbow to elbow.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »
Always used to get mad at me and the bros for fighting over Nintendo. Would storm in the room, turn off the TV, and leave.

...never turned off the Nintendo, so we'd just pick up where we left off.  Silly Dad!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
My dad took me to every Royals opening day from 1993-2001, and several since. He's a great dad guys.

Routine:
Visit Satchel Paige's grave and leave a ball
Eat at the original Arthur Bryants
Catch in the parking lot
Watch the Royals, hope for the best.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
My dad coached my 8th grade baseball team. I was 8-0 pitching that year and batted .421 that summer. He gave the MVP to the guy who had a .380 average that summer and I hated him at the time. I get it now. Stay hungry and don't settle. I got picked up by another team that summer to play in nationals in Detroit. He worked overtime to pay the trip. Just a rough ridin' stud all around.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
CF3 and Wacky, sounds like you have great dads!

:excited:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

:thumbs: I'm boozing with him right now.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Is this the thread where we talk about other people's dads?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »

:thumbs: I'm boozing with him right now.

about to do the same in about 30 min!  :driving: :drink:

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
Is this the thread where we talk about other people's dads?

Hey, SkinnyBenny. I can see how you might think that, but this is actually where you talk about YOUR dad.

For instance--my dad and I always do a double high-five/chest bump thing when K-State scores a touchdown. After over 20 years of going to games together, he still is really timid about giving chest bumps and his high five is about a 6 out of 10! He still does it anyway, though. It's our "thing." So adorable.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
One thing my Dad does that is funny is text me news that's way old. "Hey did you hear that Angel is leaving KSU" like 3 days after the news comes out. He does his best! #dadstuff

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
City League hoops coach? WonderMeal, it sounds like our dads are very similar. (Townie?) My dad was such a hoops mastermind that he went down to the Manhattan Public Library and checked out a ton of books on John Wooden and implemented a ton of complicated offensive sets and full-court presses that Wooden used to win so many championships. :lol: Those other pud college kids coaching opposing teams of fifth graders didn't know what hit 'em. Thanks for going the extra mile so your players (or "students of the game," as you called them) could taste elite success at a young age. Boss move, dad! :cool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
City League hoops coach? WonderMeal, it sounds like our dads are very similar. (Townie?) My dad was such a hoops mastermind that he went down to the Manhattan Public Library and checked out a ton of books on John Wooden and implemented a ton of complicated offensive sets and full-court presses that Wooden used to win so many championships. :lol: Those other pud college kids coaching opposing teams of fifth graders didn't know what hit 'em. Thanks for going the extra mile so your players (or "students of the game," as you called them) could taste elite success at a young age. Boss move, dad! :cool:
I figured this way your brother

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »
When my dad was doing his undergrad at the kansas state university, nebraska clinched a spot in the orange bowl by beating the snot out of us in the final regular season game. My dad and his buddies ran on the field as the nebraska marching band was celebrating and threw oranges down the tubas.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
My dad taught me everything I know about tough love.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
My dad really enjoys heating the house with the fireplace. He is an expert lumberjack despite not being a real blue collar type. I really respect that about him.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »
my dad basically knows every type of plant or tree. Ever. Anywhere. He's great at answering random yard questions too. Don't even get my dad started with a chainsaw, once he gets going you'll be cutting down trees all day! (it's kind of adorable).

Hey wondermeal! I ate at Bogey's last week, it was great! I basically had 1/2 a wondermeal; double cheeseburger and large fries, it's just like I remember it, the fries do you in, the burger is no problem! It also made me realize I could eat a lot more in high school than I can now, what's up with that?!?
I'm purple down

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
my dad basically knows every type of plant or tree. Ever. Anywhere. He's great at answering random yard questions too. Don't even get my dad started with a chainsaw, once he gets going you'll be cutting down trees all day! (it's kind of adorable).

such a great man trait.  :thumbs:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
My dad been dead for 15 yrs.  I still go by his grave and play solitaire.  :cheers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »
In addition to being an excellent man who i admire and respect and love dearly, my dad might be the funniest person I know.  He posted this on facebook not too long ago and it cracks me up every time I read it:

As everyone ever so fondly remembers, 40 years ago this week I assumed the role of time-and-motion expert Frank Gilbreth in a high school production of “Cheaper By the Dozen,” and therefore, merely by virtue of reciting the lines in my highly acclaimed depiction, became something of an efficiency expert, myself. (By the way, that is not Frank Gilbreth in the photo. It’s Clifton Webb, who also played the part of Frank Gilbreth, though his performance was, shall we say, wanting.)

Today’s topic: Making Your Showering Time More Efficient.

Step one is to disrobe. This goes without saying, of course, but many people forget this part, or are too modest. The next step is to unwrap two bars of soap instead of one. Put one bar of soap in your right hand, and the other bar of soap in your left hand. Once you have completed this step, soap away in contrary motion on both sides of your body. Your shower time is thus, by mathematical definition, cut in half! (If you have more than two sides of your body, use whatever number of soap bars that you need, or see your doctor. Ha ha. That’s just a joke.)

A supplemental tip: To make your shower time even more efficient, use two bottles of shampoo. Squirt one side of your head with the bottle in your right hand, and the other side with the bottle in your left hand. Of course, your hair will be washed in half the time!

By employing these simple techniques, I have reduced my shower time from 45 minutes to 13 seconds.

(I'm also a publisher, of course, and this is just a free sample to seduce you into subscribing to my new monthly newsletter, “Time and Motion Tips for Today’s Human Being.” The cost is just $795 a year, a bargain for great tips like this one. Don’t miss the November issue, featuring “How to shut your refrigerator door faster.”)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »
In addition to being an excellent man who i admire and respect and love dearly, my dad might be the funniest person I know.  He posted this on facebook not too long ago and it cracks me up every time I read it:

As everyone ever so fondly remembers, 40 years ago this week I assumed the role of time-and-motion expert Frank Gilbreth in a high school production of “Cheaper By the Dozen,” and therefore, merely by virtue of reciting the lines in my highly acclaimed depiction, became something of an efficiency expert, myself. (By the way, that is not Frank Gilbreth in the photo. It’s Clifton Webb, who also played the part of Frank Gilbreth, though his performance was, shall we say, wanting.)

Today’s topic: Making Your Showering Time More Efficient.

Step one is to disrobe. This goes without saying, of course, but many people forget this part, or are too modest. The next step is to unwrap two bars of soap instead of one. Put one bar of soap in your right hand, and the other bar of soap in your left hand. Once you have completed this step, soap away in contrary motion on both sides of your body. Your shower time is thus, by mathematical definition, cut in half! (If you have more than two sides of your body, use whatever number of soap bars that you need, or see your doctor. Ha ha. That’s just a joke.)

A supplemental tip: To make your shower time even more efficient, use two bottles of shampoo. Squirt one side of your head with the bottle in your right hand, and the other side with the bottle in your left hand. Of course, your hair will be washed in half the time!

By employing these simple techniques, I have reduced my shower time from 45 minutes to 13 seconds.

(I'm also a publisher, of course, and this is just a free sample to seduce you into subscribing to my new monthly newsletter, “Time and Motion Tips for Today’s Human Being.” The cost is just $795 a year, a bargain for great tips like this one. Don’t miss the November issue, featuring “How to shut your refrigerator door faster.”)
I lol'd pretty hard. Especially at:
Ha ha. That’s just a joke.)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dads. They're great. Let's talk about them!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
My dad been dead for 15 yrs.  I still go by his grave and play solitaire.  :cheers:

That's kind of beautiful, katdaddy
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dads. They're great. Let's talk about them!
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:35 AM »

That's kind of beautiful, katdaddy

yeah, very touching

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
One thing my Dad does that is funny is text me news that's way old. "Hey did you hear that Angel is leaving KSU" like 3 days after the news comes out. He does his best! #dadstuff

I love these!

Also got this gem out of the blue last January:

Is Colin Kaepernick Lebanese?

I mean, what is that? So adorable.

Other common traits: Pilgrimage to Arthur Bryant's for the Big 8 tourney every year (when it was at Kemper) and comically complicated offensive sets from John Wooden books while coaching little league!
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
If a KSU Cats broadcast starts at 7 I'll get a text from my Dad at 7:01 asking what channel the game is on.   :D