Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 186030 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2975 on: April 05, 2024, 06:00:31 PM »
This may be too specific, but to my best ability I avoid any and all movie trailers. I want to know little to nothing about it outside of director, actors, writers, etc. And my pet peeve is when people, just assuming I haven't been living my life like this for as long as I can remember, say crap like "well let me just say one thing about it" like I don't know what I'm talking about when I say I want to know ZERO THINGS about it. And then they try to interrupt my refusal by telling me the one thing they just HAVE to tell me.
My gf does this crap. "Shut the eff up. I don't want to know anything." Drives me crazy when she drops hints about a movie.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 05, 2024, 07:02:31 PM »
Co workers who can't format numbers in a spreadsheet.  Have some efn professionalism.  It's not that hard to slap some commas, fixed decimal places, and a currency symbol on your work product when appropriate.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 06, 2024, 09:24:25 AM »
Co workers who can't format numbers in a spreadsheet.  Have some efn professionalism.  It's not that hard to slap some commas, fixed decimal places, and a currency symbol on your work product when appropriate.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
it really bugs me when people use the $ button in excel to format numbers to dollars

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 06, 2024, 11:52:45 AM »
When I’m dealing with 6 digits or more I like the commas. 5 digits is a gray area. 4 digits? Maybe you should spend less time worrying about spreadsheet formatting and instead focus on changing your poopy diaper because you’re a giant baby

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 06, 2024, 12:35:33 PM »
I always properly format my excels and I'm the only one who sees them  :th_twocents:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 06, 2024, 01:38:02 PM »
The absolutely terrible roads that connect manhattan to I-80 to get to Omaha to see Jimmy Eat World and Fall Out Boy

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 06, 2024, 06:25:43 PM »
People that go through grocery stores and/or costco backwards.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 07, 2024, 02:46:38 AM »
The absolutely terrible roads that connect manhattan to I-80 to get to Omaha to see Jimmy Eat World and Fall Out Boy
You get to experience beautiful Beatrice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 11, 2024, 06:22:23 PM »
Not so much a peeve but peeve adjacent... Knowing that jealousy and envy are not interchangable but hearing ppl use them incorrectly. Cannot un-know.

For those uninitiated, jealousy is when you're worried your neighbor is gonna take your cow, and envy is when you covet your neighbors cow

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 11, 2024, 06:56:08 PM »
I had no idea. Seems fake

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: April 11, 2024, 07:15:28 PM »
One of my pet peeves is people who are anal about grammar and language.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 11, 2024, 08:45:07 PM »
Respect the game you street urchin

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 11, 2024, 09:13:34 PM »
But are you jealous or envious of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 11, 2024, 09:18:50 PM »

What if I told you it was a complaint about usage?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 12, 2024, 04:51:35 AM »
Precision is needed in professional environments like law or research and totally understandable. Everyday common speech though? Get over yourself imho.  ;)

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 12, 2024, 04:56:30 AM »
My serial abuse of the written English language probably makes me slightly biased though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: April 12, 2024, 08:14:18 AM »
Precision is needed in professional environments like law or research and totally understandable. Everyday common speech though? Get over yourself imho.  ;)
I have a similar peeve for people who correct something grammar/usage wise despite knowing exactly what you meant, which is really the whole point of language if you think about it.

The best example of this are people who insist that you cannot end a sentence with a preposition (which often makes sentences more convoluted) while simultaneously refusing to use the Oxford comma.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 12, 2024, 08:27:37 AM »
I have a similar peeve for people who correct something grammar/usage wise despite knowing exactly what you meant, which is really the whole point of language if you think about it.

The best example of this are people who insist that you cannot end a sentence with a preposition (which often makes sentences more convoluted) while simultaneously refusing to use the Oxford comma.

fun news, the Grammar Police have recently issued a ruling that it's actually fine to end a sentence in a preposition. I guess the whole "no ending a sentence in a prepo" comes from latin-based languages, which english is not, so like, its actually fine. Wish they would have issued that ruling when i was in high school and having to write lots of papers.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 12, 2024, 08:29:37 AM »
defund the grammar police

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 12, 2024, 08:32:02 AM »
To be honest, I do not know what a preposition is and do not care to learn.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 12, 2024, 09:23:39 AM »

a couple of additional thoughts on this:
I keep my grammar elitism to myself, mostly. Like if you say "I am not one to XYZ", I can assure you that I am not wont to give you the ol' WELL ACTUALLY!
I think around the time it was codified that "literally" can mean either "literally" or "figuratively" i was like "ya know what? this whole language thing...its completely made up. we just made it up. i'm not going to get mad"

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 12, 2024, 09:41:00 AM »

fun news, the Grammar Police have recently issued a ruling that it's actually fine to end a sentence in a preposition. I guess the whole "no ending a sentence in a prepo" comes from latin-based languages, which english is not, so like, its actually fine. Wish they would have issued that ruling when i was in high school and having to write lots of papers.

Which means it was never a rule. That also doesn’t stop a lot of people going around trying to impose the made up crap they learned in 7th grade English class like they’re that Japanese soldier who kept fighting WWII for 30 years after it was over.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 12, 2024, 10:03:17 AM »

Which means it was never a rule. That also doesn’t stop a lot of people going around trying to impose the made up crap they learned in 7th grade English class like they’re that Japanese soldier who kept fighting WWII for 30 years after it was over.
That's a hilarious metaphor.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:42 AM »

take it to the dan carlin hardcore history thread

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 12, 2024, 11:19:59 AM »

:lol: