Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 185005 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2825 on: January 27, 2024, 07:44:10 PM »
Why don't we just walk in the street too? Pedestrian friendly!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 27, 2024, 07:52:23 PM »
oh geez. i'm not gonna dwell on this but biking and ebiking as a form of legit transportation should be encouraged. anything that gets people out of their cars should be encouraged and celebrated. sorry you're inconvenienced like 30 extra seconds.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 27, 2024, 07:56:58 PM »
Yeah man, riding your bike in the lane designed for 2k+ lb vehicles going 4 times your speed is perfectly legit.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 27, 2024, 08:05:46 PM »
A little common ground cf3, I'm very much in favor of bike lanes and dedicated bike routes, but stay off main roads. It's both a safety and courtesy issue.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 27, 2024, 08:12:15 PM »
paging @mocat

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: January 27, 2024, 08:26:39 PM »
I love bike lanes and think they should be everywhere. I also think driving a bike on Metcalf should be the death penalty.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: January 27, 2024, 08:28:31 PM »
I think it perfectly OK for bikes to ride on the sidewalk.  I did it all the time on my way to the bike trail from my house, but then they put the bike lane on Lamar and fixed my problems.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« Reply #2832 on: January 27, 2024, 08:32:51 PM »
I nearly accidentally killed a guy who was riding his bike in the middle of the road on Iowa street in Lawrence…it’s a fast 4 lane road.  A van was in front of me and I could not see around it, and at the last minute the van violently swerved to miss the bicycle rider…I guess the van wasn’t paying attention and the bike snuck up on him due to going so slow. I had very little time to miss the bike, and I was rough ridin' with the radio not paying attention. It was really close.

I’ll add that the biker was doing his whole don’t tread on me I am a dirty hippie with full rights to ride down the middle of the road thing.  A death wish.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 27, 2024, 08:37:34 PM »
I think part of the appeal for street bikers is the chance to psychologically eff someone else up for life after they inevitably hit you

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: January 27, 2024, 08:51:47 PM »
On a 25 mph road, or even a 30 I don't mind having them ride down the side of the road.  I get way over and give them tons of room.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2835 on: January 28, 2024, 07:19:51 AM »
Pick a spot. Road or sidewalk (if it's legal) and stick to it, Mr E-bike.

I ride on the street but I also don't have a death wish. I avoid major thoroughfares as much as possible even if they have a bike lane. Why? People are assholes.

Sorry your drive took an extra 90 seconds on your way home from buying a carload of HFCS.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 28, 2024, 10:42:12 AM »
For anyone who has completed their education, biking should be illegal anywhere but dedicated bike trails. Once graduated to adulthood, you have to use your vehicle, transit, or feet on the ground for commutes or errands.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:27:26 PM by Trim »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 28, 2024, 03:09:16 PM »
i’d love for the federal and state governments to levy taxes on bike riders to help offset the cost of maintaining bike lanes and other necessary infrastructure bike related. 

i think too that it would make sense for these same governments to, if the taxes don’t deter the bikers, add certain types of poisons to bikers’ water supplies which should render their legs useless.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: January 28, 2024, 03:10:17 PM »
and I should say that my vehicle is extremely wide

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: January 28, 2024, 03:15:09 PM »
The width is very impressive

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2840 on: January 28, 2024, 05:28:42 PM »
The vast majority of cyclists pay just as much as you in road and sales taxes. Most of the cyclists that you hate are middle to upper income, and they drive the same roads as you with their vehicles (83% of cyclists own vehicles).

Only 68% of transportation revenue is funded by fuel and vehicle taxes in Missouri.

So tax the cyclists is a dumb argument unless they're going to build infrastructure for the cyclists.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: January 28, 2024, 06:12:15 PM »
Bikes on the road should be illegal

I'm late to the party but I completely agree. Unless it's practical to have a designated bike lane, then I'm all for that.  2,000 lbs of metal and bikes just don't mix. I'd gladly pay more in vehicle registration to help build bike only infrastructure, just don't mix it with vehicle use.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: January 28, 2024, 07:00:27 PM »
The vast majority of cyclists pay just as much as you in road and sales taxes. Most of the cyclists that you hate are middle to upper income, and they drive the same roads as you with their vehicles (83% of cyclists own vehicles).

Only 68% of transportation revenue is funded by fuel and vehicle taxes in Missouri.

So tax the cyclists is a dumb argument unless they're going to build infrastructure for the cyclists.
Drive your E bike up to KC and meet me on Lamar between 07:50-08:00 or 16:45-17:00 and say it to my face.

I even put it into submarine time for you.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2843 on: January 28, 2024, 07:11:43 PM »

Drive your E bike up to KC and meet me on Lamar between 07:50-08:00 or 16:45-17:00 and say it to my face.

I even put it into submarine time for you.
I don't commute. I WFH.

Additionally, I already noted that E-bike guy needs to pick his position and stick to it. I would never do it like him.  You're either in the road or you're on the sidewalk.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: January 28, 2024, 07:50:33 PM »
i’d love for the federal and state governments to levy taxes on bike riders to help offset the cost of maintaining bike lanes and other necessary infrastructure bike related. 

i think too that it would make sense for these same governments to, if the taxes don’t deter the bikers, add certain types of poisons to bikers’ water supplies which should render their legs useless.

Finally someone brave enough to mention the poison thing, if I’m being honest that thought has been living rent free in my brain for years

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: January 28, 2024, 08:27:38 PM »

Finally someone brave enough to mention the poison thing, if I’m being honest that thought has been living rent free in my brain for years

Yeah, he took what I was going to say.

I think it would be awesome if all sidewalks on major streets were improved to be twice as wide, and we asked bicyclists to use those.  Walkers can get out of the way.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: January 28, 2024, 09:48:00 PM »
Walkers can get out of the way.

eff that.  They're sidewalks.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: January 28, 2024, 09:59:28 PM »

I think it would be awesome if all sidewalks on major streets were improved to be twice as wide, and we asked bicyclists to use those.  Walkers can get out of the way.

Just put those bike/walk lanes on them like you see on some trails.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2848 on: January 28, 2024, 10:35:48 PM »

I've seen quite a few cities converting sidewalks to multi use pathways. Even those bumpkins in Louisville have done it.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: January 31, 2024, 09:23:46 PM »
Now that the street cycling controversy has cooled a bit, is like to pivot to another peeve:

Sports fans that do the "get louder" arm raising motion. Like if it's 3rd and 9 and I see a linebacker signaling the crowd to get loud... Hell yeah my dude let me help make this place so loud they can't even get in the play call.

But like, I'm not taking social cues from Dustin in section G row 46, how's about you eff right off actually, Dustin. Maybe try just clapping or fist pumping