Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 185056 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2475 on: February 26, 2023, 03:57:32 PM »
“facts”

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
when you are giving someone a ride to the airport and they ask "what time should we leave"?

Um, how about you tell me what time you want to arrive based on your bag situation, precheck or no, risk tolerance, etc.

Note usually this question comes from my wife. :peek:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« Reply #2477 on: March 02, 2023, 03:59:35 PM »
when you are giving someone a ride to the airport and they ask "what time should we leave"?

Um, how about you tell me what time you want to arrive based on your bag situation, precheck or no, risk tolerance, etc.

I think if you are visiting from out of town you might expect the local to have a good sense of the airport particulars. If you are married to Michigancat, you may just want your hunky, brilliant husband to explain the best time to leave so you can stare at his gorgeous blue eyes and not have to pay attention to the words so you can focus on just locking in to lust mode.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 02, 2023, 04:03:50 PM »

I think if you are visiting from out of town you might expect the local to have a good sense of the airport particulars. If you are married to Michigancat, you may just want your hunky, brilliant husband to explain the best time to leave so you can stare at his gorgeous blue eyes and not have to pay attention to the words so you can focus on just locking in to lust mode.

yes to all of this!

But I have experienced a wide variety of airport arrival time risk and need that context to provide the best ETD. (granted I should know my wife's context, but still)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: March 03, 2023, 08:18:09 AM »
Adjace but it pets my peeve when my travel companion does not share my preferred level of risk. Like for domestic flights, I like to be walking into the airport an hour before takeoff. For my MIL, for example, she would prefer to be at the gate 2 hrs before departure. So if we ever travel together then it’s like okay do I sit around in the airport for an extra hour and a half - chasing around a toddler - or do I get there closer to my preferred time but deal with the palpable nervous energy bc we’re cutting it waaaaaaay too close? Truly a Sophie’s Choice type situation

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: March 03, 2023, 08:24:41 AM »
Adjace but it pets my peeve when my travel companion does not share my preferred level of risk. Like for domestic flights, I like to be walking into the airport an hour before takeoff. For my MIL, for example, she would prefer to be at the gate 2 hrs before departure. So if we ever travel together then it’s like okay do I sit around in the airport for an extra hour and a half - chasing around a toddler - or do I get there closer to my preferred time but deal with the palpable nervous energy bc we’re cutting it waaaaaaay too close? Truly a Sophie’s Choice type situation
Compromise and hit the security lines 2 hours before. It's skewed to the MiL side but your side creates far more risk and anxiety than you having to be a parent for an extra hour introduces.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: March 03, 2023, 08:26:18 AM »
Like, airports are cool places! Enjoy it! Toddlers love seeing planes and the little tractors and conveyor belts and all that stuff! Hell I enjoy it!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: March 03, 2023, 08:54:22 AM »
I've probably said this other places, but there are a lot of sports announcer cliches that grind my gears:

"If you had told me before the season (insert outcome that wasn't predicted preseason by the talking heads) I would've said you're out of your mind"

"They're going to need not just a big game from the stars, but the role players too. The Marcus Kemps, the Justin Watsons, the Blake Bells, guys like that"

etc. There are a lot of lazy cliches

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: March 03, 2023, 09:34:15 AM »
Compromise and hit the security lines 2 hours before. It's skewed to the MiL side but your side creates far more risk and anxiety than you having to be a parent for an extra hour introduces.
well just to clarify, i was going to spend that extra hour "being a parent" - whatever that's supposed to mean - either way, the difference is doing it at home or in a densely populated public setting that i have no control over.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: March 03, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »
well just to clarify, i was going to spend that extra hour "being a parent" - whatever that's supposed to mean - either way, the difference is doing it at home or in a densely populated public setting that i have no control over.

this might not be the most helpful advice but have you considered trying to relax a bit?

;)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: March 03, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
I've probably said this other places, but there are a lot of sports announcer cliches that grind my gears:

"If you had told me before the season (insert outcome that wasn't predicted preseason by the talking heads) I would've said you're out of your mind"

"They're going to need not just a big game from the stars, but the role players too. The Marcus Kemps, the Justin Watsons, the Blake Bells, guys like that"

"touchdown saving tackle"

every tackle is a touchdown saving tackle

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: March 03, 2023, 10:05:30 AM »

"touchdown saving tackle"

every tackle is a touchdown saving tackle

oh thats a great one

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: March 03, 2023, 10:17:11 AM »
taking a player's name and making it plural should be a fireable offense

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: March 03, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »
taking a player's name and making it plural should be a fireable offense

people do it everyday. the Bob Fescoes, the Jason Andersons

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: March 03, 2023, 10:25:05 AM »

I must be the most irritable person on the planet because I really can't stand like everything that gets posted here. This one isn't a pet peeve for me because when anyone travels with me, airport arrival times isn't democratic. I'm driving and we're going to arrive when I say we're going to arrive. Don't like it, tough crap. I understand people have high airport anxiety and don't mind sitting at a gave for 2 hours, my time is much more valuable than that.

On that note, in 2023, airports need to be much better about listing current security wait times, it isn't that hard. When I went to Orlando last week, literally the day before I left the DSM airport sent out a press release informing the public that anyone with early morning flights should arrive 2 hours before departure, because of long security lines, which is quite a departure from normal here. I follow their advise and arrive two hours early and the line was long, but it only took 20 minutes to get through as opposed to the normal zero minutes.

Ironically enough, Orlando now does put security line times on their website, the only time I missed a flight because of security lines was there, 5 years ago when I was in line for 2.5 rough ridin' hours, they didn't have security line times then.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: March 03, 2023, 10:26:21 AM »
“facts”

hey, here's one that's not a pet peeve for me!  :excited:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 03, 2023, 10:28:44 AM »

I must be the most irritable person on the planet because I really can't stand like everything that gets posted here. This one isn't a pet peeve for me because when anyone travels with me, airport arrival times isn't democratic. I'm driving and we're going to arrive when I say we're going to arrive. Don't like it, tough crap. I understand people have high airport anxiety and don't mind sitting at a gave for 2 hours, my time is much more valuable than that.

On that note, in 2023, airports need to be much better about listing current security wait times, it isn't that hard. When I went to Orlando last week, literally the day before I left the DSM airport sent out a press release informing the public that anyone with early morning flights should arrive 2 hours before departure, because of long security lines, which is quite a departure from normal here. I follow their advise and arrive two hours early and the line was long, but it only took 20 minutes to get through as opposed to the normal zero minutes.

Ironically enough, Orlando now does put security line times on their website, the only time I missed a flight because of security lines was there, 5 years ago when I was in line for 2.5 rough ridin' hours, they didn't have security line times then.

ok so just curious - if the airport doesn't advise how early you should arrive - what is your preferred time to be walking in to the airport?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 03, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »

ok so just curious - if the airport doesn't advise how early you should arrive - what is your preferred time to be walking in to the airport?

Des Moines 45 minutes, everywhere else 1 hour. United takes bags 45 minutes before departure and starts boarding 30 minutes before, I'm in boarding group 2.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2493 on: March 03, 2023, 01:13:00 PM »
Birthday as a flavor.  Just say it's white cake flavor.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: March 03, 2023, 01:24:29 PM »
when there is only one piece of bread left and you already got all of your other sammich stuff out and ready.  :curse:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 03, 2023, 01:29:11 PM »
you get sandwich stuff out before checking the bread situation?????

take it to shame yourself thread

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 03, 2023, 01:44:51 PM »

Fair. I saw the bag and assumed my family aren't the type of assholes that would leave one slice. that's on me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 03, 2023, 01:48:09 PM »
Birthday as a flavor.  Just say it's white cake flavor.

Whatever you call it, the flavor is ass

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 03, 2023, 01:50:07 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 06, 2023, 11:34:30 PM »
When the driver of the car has the wipers set too fast or too slow for the rate of rain buildup on the windscreen