Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 184907 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1925 on: February 23, 2022, 02:31:58 PM »
my pet peeve with emails are the ones that could be one simple two minute phone call but instead it's 20 back and forth emails.   :cyclist:

That is the word. I hate calling people as much as any millennial but I'd rather talk it out than try and guess at wtf you're wanting.

Really, bad email etiquette and communication in general is a giant pet peeve, and I'm by no means perfect, but so many people have a hard time expressing what they really want. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 23, 2022, 02:36:09 PM »
calling when a simple one sentence email would suffice is worse. it's really arrogant to call someone because it implies they should drop everything to deal with your stupid problem right then in real time

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 23, 2022, 03:43:57 PM »
That's shitty too but it goes back to poor communication crap.

IMO knowing when to use an email, talking in person or phone, or IMing is a balance many just simply don't get.

At least if I need to call I always IM the person and say "hey can you talk" "or give me a call when you have time" if it's important but not urgent.

Like people who don't look at your status on teams and IM you when you're presenting or in a meeting and apparently oblivious to the fact you're presenting/busy, and need you to drop your crap to come help them. Like, take a sec and determine if that person can even talk to you. Younger people at my job at THE WORST at that.

I guess the email thing is more hot in my mind because one of the young engineers for my main client is horrible at this. His emails are mini-dissertations that often don't have a point or the point gets lost in a lot of words (also, real giant pet peeve, he never addresses anyone in his email, he just starts off with "Hello" and then goes into it, as if I or anyone else in the email aren't worth even mentioning, it's so goddamn impersonal). If he just emailed or IM'd us and would be like "hey, I'm not fully understanding this or would like to talk about this, can we set up a time to discuss" it'd solve so many problems but instead he just hides behind his keyboard, and we're left trying to actually figure out what he's trying to get.

It's about knowing what is best way to communicate and when to use each one of them.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 23, 2022, 03:48:29 PM »

IMO knowing when to use an email, talking in person or phone, or IMing is a balance many just simply don't get.

At least if I need to call I always IM the person and say "hey can you talk" "or give me a call when you have time" if it's important but not urgent.

Like people who don't look at your status on teams and IM you when you're presenting or in a meeting and apparently oblivious to the fact you're presenting/busy, and need you to drop your crap to come help them. Like, take a sec and determine if that person can even talk to you. Younger people at my job at THE WORST at that.

I guess the email thing is more hot in my mind because one of the young engineers for my main client is horrible at this. His emails are mini-dissertations that often don't have a point or the point gets lost in a lot of words (also, real giant pet peeve, he never addresses anyone in his email, he just starts off with "Hello" and then goes into it, as if I or anyone else in the email aren't worth even mentioning, it's so goddamn impersonal). If he just emailed or IM'd us and would be like "hey, I'm not fully understanding this or would like to talk about this, can we set up a time to discuss" it'd solve so many problems but instead he just hides behind his keyboard, and we're left trying to actually figure out what he's trying to get.

It's about knowing what is best way to communicate and when to use each one of them.

Kinda sounds like this young man has figured out the game, to me.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 23, 2022, 04:10:29 PM »

Kinda sounds like this young man has figured out the game, to me.

enjoy deciphering his emails then. I've worked with tons of clients and no one comes as close to making it as hard as possible to understand what he's talking about then him

He once wrote two paragraphs that essentially said "Yeah, this will work." Just say that. Clarity in my work can mean the difference between literal life and death so, you know, be clear.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 23, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »
I also receive 50 emails a day some days. Those days are some weekend days, Christmas, Thanksgiving (Day), and the Fourth of July.
I totally understand that the number of emails is not at all overwhelming or too many compared to other jobs, but when I am leading classes for most of my day it is a lot to try to keep up with. Especially when I have other meetings to attend on top of the main responsibilities of the job. The emails have significantly picked up in recent years and I think this email inflation is because The people that produce most of the emails have office jobs that seem to mostly consist of producing emails.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 23, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »
I also receive 50 emails a day some days. Those days are some weekend days, Christmas, Thanksgiving (Day), and the Fourth of July.
I totally understand that the number of emails is not at all overwhelming or too many compared to other jobs, but when I am leading classes for most of my day it is a lot to try to keep up with. Especially when I have other meetings to attend on top of the main responsibilities of the job. The emails have significantly picked up in recent years and I think this email inflation is because The people that produce most of the emails have office jobs that seem to mostly consist of producing emails.

You don't read every e-mail though, right?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 23, 2022, 04:24:39 PM »

You don't read every e-mail though, right?
Of course not, as we have talked this out I think the thing that triggered me was this middle management type at our building that saw my inbox while I was running a meeting/taking minutes on teams and commented on it and said they were an inbox zero person in a tone of voice I didn’t appreciate. So maybe that was my actual pet peeve.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 23, 2022, 11:10:28 PM »
I hate "wrong answers only."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 23, 2022, 11:34:28 PM »
YES

The pinnacle of lazy meming

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: March 07, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »
"my loss is your gain"

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 08, 2022, 09:45:53 PM »
Dunno if this is a pet peeve, more like one of those things I can’t un-think about, but voicemail greetings. Why is anyone still giving instructions as of answering machines haven’t been around for the last 30+ years?

But to clarify, totally cool if you’re using your voicemail greeting to convey some other info, like “I’m not going to listen to this so if it’s important you should just text me” or “I’m camping in the wilderness until <some date> so if it’s important call somebody else”

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 09, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »
YES

I hate "POV" tweets

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 09, 2022, 11:04:03 AM »
POV tweets can be pretty funny _33

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 09, 2022, 11:42:02 AM »
YES

I hate "POV" tweets

I'm not sure I know what this is.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 09, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »
YES

I hate "POV" tweets

I'm not sure I know what this is.

this is not exactly a POV tweet, but essentially like this one from the SB halftime last year

https://twitter.com/mattberry05/status/1358596414536900611

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 09, 2022, 01:21:19 PM »
Social Media trolls like to use the term "mid" when discussing a persons looks or a players talents, in the replies section and it's the corniest, dorkiest crap I've ever seen.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 09, 2022, 01:23:32 PM »
Ok. Whatever you say, mid.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 09, 2022, 01:29:39 PM »
tf is mid?  It sounds stupid

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 09, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »
obviously you're not a golfer

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 09, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
Social Media trolls like to use the term "mid" when discussing a persons looks or a players talents, in the replies section and it's the corniest, dorkiest crap I've ever seen.

I've never used mid, but I love it. That's one that definitely started with hood culture that's either going to or already has been vultured.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 09, 2022, 01:47:30 PM »
I am both old and young enough to know what mid means.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 09, 2022, 02:04:23 PM »
Welp, I'm obviously mid with my old ass, pet peeve takes now.  :curse:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 15, 2022, 07:41:38 PM »
There is a special place in hell for people that take 30 items and/or slowly scan items while talking on the phone in the self checkout line. Just watched a woman do both & about had a stroke.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« Reply #1949 on: March 16, 2022, 09:42:49 PM »
I know this is cliche, but left lane idiots who don’t get over and go slow really are the worst kind of people, also people who drive like aggro maniacs on highways in trucks. It seems overly rude to blame the left lane people for the aggro people, but being oblivious in the left lane definitely makes the aggros significantly more dangerous.