Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 179984 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1700 on: May 20, 2021, 10:15:16 AM »
The skinny cereal boxes they make these days really trip my trigger. I set an unopened box of Raisin Nut Bran on the table at breakfast and it fell over on its side. Am I crazy for believing that a cereal box should be able to stand under its own weight?

We have like 4 of those plastic cereal containers which work great because my kids would leave the boxes opened and the cereal would get stale. My pet peeve is that the ones I have are a bit too small for the large boxes of cereal so we always have bags of random cereal with just a bit in them in the cupboard. Use up the bag cereal first stupid kids!!!!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 20, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
The skinny cereal boxes they make these days really trip my trigger. I set an unopened box of Raisin Nut Bran on the table at breakfast and it fell over on its side. Am I crazy for believing that a cereal box should be able to stand under its own weight?

We have like 4 of those plastic cereal containers which work great because my kids would leave the boxes opened and the cereal would get stale. My pet peeve is that the ones I have are a bit too small for the large boxes of cereal so we always have bags of random cereal with just a bit in them in the cupboard. Use up the bag cereal first stupid kids!!!!
That's a great idea because another problem with cereal these days is that the bags inside the box tend to rip down the side instead of opening evenly across the top which can lead to a low quality cereal pour.
My kids hate to eat the last bowlful of cereal in the box because it has too many crumbs and is mushy.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 20, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
Start crushing all the cereal until your children learn a little gratitude
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 20, 2021, 10:57:20 AM »

That's a great idea because another problem with cereal these days is that the bags inside the box tend to rip down the side instead of opening evenly across the top which can lead to a low quality cereal pour.
My kids hate to eat the last bowlful of cereal in the box because it has too many crumbs and is mushy.

Got them on Amazon I think. Worth the purchase.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 20, 2021, 04:04:43 PM »
linkedin crack

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 20, 2021, 04:11:17 PM »
linkedin crack

Pardon my low social media IQ but I thought Linkedin was like a job board? Also, that guy doesn't look heavy enough to need 4 dudes holding him up and I don't think the last 3 guys are doing much anyway.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 20, 2021, 04:22:06 PM »
linkedin crack

Pardon my low social media IQ but I thought Linkedin was like a job board? Also, that guy doesn't look heavy enough to need 4 dudes holding him up and I don't think the last 3 guys are doing much anyway.

it's like facebook for jobs/business. so like instead of sharing stuff about your dumb kids you share stuff about your dumb job. it's great for seeing who works where

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 20, 2021, 09:54:40 PM »
when someone prefaces a statement with "honestly..." or "to be honest with you..." and then they say something that isn't brave/controversial/hot take/etc.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 21, 2021, 03:01:26 AM »
when someone prefaces a statement with "honestly..." or "to be honest with you..." and then they say something that isn't brave/controversial/hot take/etc.

not gonna lie.... and then says something that nobody would lie about anyway

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 25, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »
Dog Instagrams, but really only the captions written from the perspective of the dog and refer to the owners as mommy and daddy.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 26, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »
People who just incorrectly use/don't look at your status on teams, or just call you or interrupt you out of the blue with no like "hey got a sec, I really need this but it can wait until you're finished" IM sort of thing if it is important. Rarely, if ever, do you need to call someone out of some sense of emergency for work.

Like getting IM'd about trivial/unnecessary things during the middle of a call, or just ignoring the "red" or "presenting" icons for said trivial or unimportant stuff that can either wait or just send me an email to answer at my convenience. It's distracting and inconsiderate.

It usually always ends up being the same type of person, one who poorly plans their work, or doesn't care or think about how their actions impede on another person's time. If I need to IM someone I always try to lead with a "when you got time" or similar so I can sort of "reserve" time to talk to you, but also acknowledging that hey, you probably got something going on at that moment, so don't feel like you gotta drop what you're doing to come take care of lil ol me.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 26, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »
lol I am the IMer

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 26, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »
I don't use teams but can't you just turn off IM notifications?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »
I don't use teams but can't you just turn off IM notifications?

Yes, but like there is not a good way (that I know of) to selectively block notifications for like if I'm on a call already or something, the kicker/killer is when working from home, my company decided to do away with phones all together, so teams is the phone. And while I don't want to answer a bunch of crap if I don't want to, I am obligated to to answer "my phone" at work, which is teams now is.

My issue is much more with the fact of respecting trying your best to not like, impede me during busy/meetings/do not disturb times. It makes me feel old AF but at least when I started until basically this pandemic I don't ever remember having that much an issue with someone waiting til I was done in a conference room or even if online to talk to me. Now it's just inundation, no matter my status or what I'm doing and a decent amount of it can easily wait. Are there sometimes you need to get a hold of me cause it's important? Sure, but like, you don't need to ask me what to charge something to right this second, or what color this should be, or etc etc. It's less a notification issue as it is "read the room" thing.  Unless your crap is paramount, just back the eff off and take a number.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 26, 2021, 07:40:40 PM »
lol I am the IMer

Yeah, best mode of communication
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 26, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
IM is like way more casual than email. I cannot imagine being distracted by an IM when I don't choose to be.

I send IMs when people are busy or DND because I know that they can look at it at their convenience later.

I guess calling may be different, but I guess I dont know what you cannot just ignore it.

You are obliged to answer? They don't trust you to decide for yourself when to answer the phone or not?

I have a desk phone, a cell phone, and MSTEAMS. If I am on a teams call and my desk phone rings, I don't get pet peeved.

I probably have a different kind of job tho. Maybe bandyman only interacts with people who are MSTEAMS power users?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 26, 2021, 09:42:09 PM »
"mom i told you not to call my cellphone when im in class!" -pet peeve

like, just dont answer. every other being on the planet with your cellphone number is supposed to memorize your daily itinerary?

I thought this peeve was over since nobody talks on the phone anymore.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 26, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »
I have to share my screen a lot on work calls and I've received a few unprofessional IM's that have forced me to stop sharing my screen. This has resulted in me improving my IM etiquette.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 26, 2021, 09:59:41 PM »
I have to share my screen a lot on work calls and I've received a few unprofessional IM's that have forced me to stop sharing my screen. This has resulted in me improving my IM etiquette.
That's why I turn off all slack notifications all the time. If people want instant answers they can gtfo

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 27, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »
You guys just need more monitors. Just share the safe one.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1720 on: May 27, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »
Disable notifications in meetings. Pretty simple solution.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 27, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
Works great when it’s a teams call, less so if it’s a client’s zoom call and you have to manually set do not disturb
:adios:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 27, 2021, 09:39:04 PM »
Rather than share the screen I just share the application that had the content I’m presenting. UNLESS it is a somewhat informal call in which case here’s what you do, foist, you set your wallpaper to an embarrassing photo. Next, you share that screen, but make sure you have the spreadsheet or ppt or whatever up on the screen. Next, you move your mouse over to your other monitor or your ribbon at the bottom. This will temporarily cause your screen to just show the wallpaper instead of what you’re presenting so everyone can see your funny embarrassing photo and it will seem like you did it on accident oh man it’s great

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 30, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
Dog Instagrams, but really only the captions written from the perspective of the dog and refer to the owners as mommy and daddy.
LOL

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1399039157167661057?s=19

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 11, 2021, 03:51:40 AM »
When you guys ask someone to do something and they can’t, do you guys try to convince or are just like “ah cool next time”? I used to be more like the first but now am the second. Figure 10% of the time you might change their mind, but 100% you annoy them. Just know someone like this and it’s super annoy