Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 179989 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
incorrectly saying "supposably" instead of "supposedly"

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
"should of" instead of "should have" (thankfully does not happen much on goEMAW)
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
"should of" instead of "should have" (thankfully does not happen much on goEMAW)

do you even know your name?

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »

public fingernail clipping was already taken

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »

plus, the misuse of 'of' instead of 'have' is pretty rampant on gE. I was trying to point each error out, but I tired of it after a couple of days.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:48 PM »

plus, the misuse of 'of' instead of 'have' is pretty rampant on gE. I was trying to point each error out, but I tired of it after a couple of days.

Gonna win 'em all!

People who misuse "of" in place of "have" should be publicly shamed.  It's so rough ridin' stupid I don't even know how it became a thing.  Not sure why I remember this but on one of those standardized tests from grade school one of the multiple choice options for completing part of a sentence was WOULD OF or WOULD HAVE and I remember thinking "What kind of a dumbass thinks it's WOULD OF??"  I knew the difference in 4th rough ridin' grade and anyone in 4th grade or beyond should know the difference too.

Puni's example of supposably is also puzzling, like where in the hell did the B come from?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

People who misuse "of" in place of "have" should be publicly shamed.  It's so rough ridin' stupid I don't even know how it became a thing.  Not sure why I remember this but on one of those standardized tests from grade school one of the multiple choice options for completing part of a sentence was WOULD OF or WOULD HAVE and I remember thinking "What kind of a dumbass thinks it's WOULD OF??"  I knew the difference in 4th rough ridin' grade and anyone in 4th grade or beyond should know the difference too.

Puni's example of supposably is also puzzling, like where in the hell did the B come from?

It's pretty easy to explain, actually.  Many people write how they speak. The scurrilous "of" comes from the way "have" sounds when part of a contraction (would've, could've), and often times supposedly is pronounced supposebly because it is difficult to pronounce a 'd' sound followed by a 'l' sound, since they are practically identical in terms of how your mouth produces the sounds.  This results in a glottal stop, which slows down speech.  Since speaking patterns tend to follow the path of least resistance, many people subconsciously swap the 'd' for 'b'--a phonetically similar consonant but one that is much easier to transition to 'l' from. 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

It's pretty easy to explain, actually.  Many people write how they speak. The scurrilous "of" comes from the way "have" sounds when part of a contraction (would've, could've), and often times supposedly is pronounced supposebly because it is difficult to pronounce a 'd' sound followed by a 'l' sound, since they are practically identical in terms of how your mouth produces the sounds.  This results in a glottal stop, which slows down speech.  Since speaking patterns tend to follow the path of least resistance, many people subconsciously swap the 'd' for 'b'--a phonetically similar consonant but one that is much easier to transition to 'l' from.

Yeah I understand the thing about pronunciation but just because it sounds like you're saying WOULD OF doesn't mean you should type it out that way. For crap's sake have some standards.

Also I'm not sure I get your explantion for supposably but since you're this board's resident cunning linguist you're probably right.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
:wha:!!!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
You bunch of PC "racists" are back handly making fun "of" the Black race.  :facepalm:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
I know this lady from Oklahoma who always says stuff like "Was you there last night?" I just took it as a local speech pattern sort of thing until I started getting emails from her and she typed the same way. She actually typed out a sentence, "Was you going to get the money?" and thought it was correct.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
Was wrong with that?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
Was wrong with that?
Funny.  I were going to type the same thing.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
people making me watch internet videos on their computers while they watch me watch them.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
people making me watch internet videos on their computers while they watch me watch them.

Yes!  That they're usually not your style of humor adds insult to injury.  I manage to stay polite, though.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Yes!  That they're usually not your style of humor adds insult to injury.  I manage to stay polite, though.

the only fun part for me is telling them how old the video is afterward, or telling them its fake/hoax/cgi

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »
I think some of the of/have comes from the fact that people use contractions in speech like should've which sounds very similar to should of.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
I think some of the of/have comes from the fact that people use contractions in speech like should've which sounds very similar to should of.

Compelling theory...

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Hey Spracs give me the reason behind eXpecially.  :sdeek:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »

speech impediment

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »

speech impediment

oh. so I shouldn't make fun of almost everyone I work with for saying it? whoops.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Expresso/espresso

#TheWesIsTheFuture

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
Expresso/espresso

#TheWesIsTheFuture

yeah this is a bad one.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 11, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »
Expresso/espresso

#TheWesIsTheFuture

yeah this is a bad one.

I had to go to Starbuck's on FPD because I couldn't bring myself to brave Aggieville. Anyways, the moral of the story is that the barista at Starbuck's said "expresso".

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
can someone explain "ect." instead of "etc."