Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 195831 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #3076 on: May 28, 2024, 08:50:03 PM »
I may have said this one before but  :dunno: Work people that set up meetings for simple questions. I feel like zoom has conditioned people to think a full meeting with 8 people is necessary for every conversation. I go to meetings all the time that could have been done over a teams message or a quick call. I had a guy call me this morning 20 minutes before a meeting and he tried to tell me that they needed to move the meeting because so and so couldn't make it. I said, "what did you need"? He just paused and there was awkward silence. I then said, "like, we are talking right now and i'm happy to just answer any questions you have, or we could just wait until another day when more people are around". More awkward silence and he finally goes, yeah, we can just do it now.......Took like 3 minutes.

I have a recent grad who is like this. Like I (perhaps foolishly) told him "look I know you're just out of school and I don't expect you to know anything, but when you need direction or have questions... The worst thing you can do is stay quiet. I wasn't you to try to figure it out, but you can always ask me questions and I would much rather you ask too many questions than too few"

And man he took that to heart bc he tries to set up a call for every little thing and I'm like bruh we have ms teams it's okay to ask questions on teams, especially simple ones. We don't need to set up a call for every little thing my dude

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 28, 2024, 08:58:13 PM »
I may have said this one before but  :dunno: Work people that set up meetings for simple questions. I feel like zoom has conditioned people to think a full meeting with 8 people is necessary for every conversation. I go to meetings all the time that could have been done over a teams message or a quick call. I had a guy call me this morning 20 minutes before a meeting and he tried to tell me that they needed to move the meeting because so and so couldn't make it. I said, "what did you need"? He just paused and there was awkward silence. I then said, "like, we are talking right now and i'm happy to just answer any questions you have, or we could just wait until another day when more people are around". More awkward silence and he finally goes, yeah, we can just do it now.......Took like 3 minutes.

This is more of a peeve, because everyone feels this way.

I'm not sure that is true according to my calendar that is full of these types of meetings. I normally just go with it, but since the guy called me I figured I would subtly call him out. I chuckled a bit when I said that maybe we should just go ahead and talk now since we were already talking. I also think a lot of it has to do with people just being afraid to do or say anything without their manager's approval. I'm always meeting with different groups of people. Most of them are unnecessary and I could usually just talk to one person and they could pass things along as needed, but whatever. Each person in those groups almost always invites their manager and in some cases their next level, which leads to about 4 other people that have no business on the call, yet they are always there.

Sounds like your company has too many managers without enough to do. I can't imagine inviting someone to a meeting and them inviting their manager plus a level above (and I do not exactly work for a super lean org)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 08, 2024, 10:25:35 AM »
One of my dumbest pet peeves that probably belongs in the shame yourself thread is I get very annoyed by "eff Cancer" tshirts and slogans

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: June 14, 2024, 01:53:58 PM »
"Well I didn't have _______ on my 2024 bingo card"

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: June 14, 2024, 04:07:00 PM »
I'm with you stevesie60. its kind of like saying "huh, i didn't have 19, 30, 31, 61, 62 and 21 as my powerball numbers!"

like yeah no crap. in fact its always been my assertion that you have until the 2nd week of january to declare what all is on your bingo card for the year. that way when it happens you have receipts and can dunk about it.